News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

"
I have no difficulty with supporting higher taxes, though I suspect the need for that is more at the provincial level than the federal with Ontario having an anomalously low HST rate (13%) as compared to the 15% for all provinces to our east.
Views on this tend to reflect whether one sees oneself as a net winner or loser when Trudeau taxes the rich 'just a little bit more'. I know many people are still digesting the massive 4-5% increase to the top rate 4 years ago. Despite massive revenues his pet projects are running deficits that Harper corrected. I have no like for Trudeau and his identity politics that will ultimately create a white-block vote, which is very unfortunate. But the interviewer was unfairly heavy on the virtue signalling. To transition to nuclear we are going to need to rely on oil for a period of time, there's no reason Canada should shut itself out of that revenue stream in the meantime.

I know many people are still digesting the massive 4-5% increase to the top rate 4 years ago.

A loaf of bread costs the same for them as it does for a family for whom that and mayonnaise are going to be supper. Tax the rich. That's where the money is.

Despite massive revenues his pet projects are running deficits that Harper corrected.

"Corrected"? Pardon me, but what area code of the Twilight Zone are you dialing THIS in from? In the not-quite-four years Trudeau's been PM, the deficit's gone up about $43B. Harper blew $35B in one fiscal year alone, 2011-2012. And that was on top of a deficit almost exactly as large the year before. I don't care what excuses you wanna make for that. Make any virtue of it you like. Just don't try to tell us the $145B he increased the federal debt during his tenure was "correcting deficits". And if you want to talk about taxation, current federal revenues are about 14.4% of GDP. In the years that Chretien and Martin ran the country, that went from about 16% all the way down to 11% and change. Harper got it back up as high as 16% again (generally speaking, that's called "RAISING taxes"). It's the same old story. The Grits rein in spending and actually get taxes--and even the debt--down; the Tories come back and blow money like drunken sailors and raise taxes, and still they get this rep for doing just the opposite, because they talk a good game--that, and they fire everybody they can get their mitts on. Same thing in the States. The GOP wastes money on idiocy like stealth tennis shoes for the National Guard, and the Democrats come in and get the deficit down... and invariably, the dumbest people in the country insist up is down, black is white, and keep voting in the spendthrifts while cursing out the people who have an actual track record of fiscal responsibility, all because they don't like them New York liberal types.

Last edited:
A loaf of bread costs the same for them as it does for a family for whom that and mayonnaise are going to be supper. Tax the rich. That's where the money is.

"Corrected"? Pardon me, but what area code of the Twilight Zone are you dialing THIS in from? In the not-quite-four years Trudeau's been PM, the deficit's gone up about $43B. Harper blew $35B in one fiscal year alone, 2011-2012. And that was on top of a deficit almost exactly as large the year before. I don't care what excuses you wanna make for that. Make any virtue of it you like. Just don't try to tell us the $145B he increased the federal debt during his tenure was "correcting deficits". And if you want to talk about taxation, current federal revenues are about 14.4% of GDP. In the years that Chretien and Martin ran the country, that went from about 16% all the way down to 11% and change. Harper got it back up as high as 16% again (generally speaking, that's called "RAISING taxes"). It's the same old story. The Grits rein in spending and actually get taxes--and even the debt--down; the Tories come back and blow money like drunken sailors and raise taxes, and still they get this rep for doing just the opposite, because they talk a good game--that, and they fire everybody they can get their mitts on. Same thing in the States. The GOP wastes money on idiocy like stealth tennis shoes for the National Guard, and the Democrats come in and get the deficit down... and invariably, the dumbest people in the country insist up is down, black is white, and keep voting in the spendthrifts while cursing out the people who have an actual track record of fiscal responsibility, all because they don't like them New York liberal types.
The debt when Harper took over was $481.5B (debt to GDP of 35.0%). Actually at the end of the 2005/06 fiscal year, which ended about 8 weeks after Harper elected.
The debt when Harper left was $616.0B. (debt to GDP of 31.0%). Actually at the end of the 2015/16 fiscal year, which was about 5 month after Trudeau elected.
Thus, the Harper increase in debt was $134.5, or $13B per year. In term of percentage, Debt to GDP went down 4.0%**, or 0.40% per year.

When Trudeau took over, the debt was $616.0B, but they changed the accounting rules which caused a $19.6B jump in the debt, comparing 2016/17 values to the 2016/17 restated values. in the debt. It also caused a 0.8% increase in Debt to GDP - so effectively, we can say Trudeau started with a $635.6B deficit with his accounting rules (and debt to GDP of 31.8%).
At end of his third year (2017/18) was $671.3B.
Thus, the 2 year debt increase was 671.3 - 635.6 - 19.6 = $35.7B.

The books for last fiscal year don't get finalized until the fall, but looking at the projections.
For 2018/19 - projected deficit of $14.9B
For 2019/20 - projected deficit of $19.8B. Debt to GDP expected to be 30.7%
Thus, in 4 years, projection is that Trudeau added $70.4B, or $17.6B per year in debt, and debt to GDP went down 1.1%, or 0.28%.

Despite the crippling Global recession that Harper had to deal with, and the booming US economy that exists now, Trudeau still has worse looking budgetary numbers.

* The final half year (Nov. 2015 to March 31, 2016) which I attributed to Harper actually took a turn for deficit, even though Harper had left it as a surplus, as confirmed by the Parliamentary Budget Officer. This could have reduced the Harper number by about $2B.
** The only leader of a G7 country to reduce debt/GDP in this period.

Opening our borders to refugees is "extremism"? Wow.

Khadr: The courts ruled agents of the government breached his Constitutional rights. Perhaps if the matter had gone to trial the settlement would have be less. Maybe. Heck, they just gave 21K to a couple who weren't told how to use a seatbelt in French.
Boyle: How did the government "cozy up"? He's a Canadian citizen and had the right of return. I'm not aware he's even suspected of terrorism (other than the connection to his first wife, whom I'm not sure has been accused of anything). Astonishingly stupid, yes.
Atwal: Not aware.

Hmmm, not giving public money to groups who oppose Canadian law and public policy.

Personally, I disliked Trudeau interjecting into our judicial system in favor of scoring outrage points right after the Colton Boushie and the Jian Ghomeshi trials- which had a dampening effect on our judicial system's ability to deliver justice impartially.

Also not a fan of him tossing money around to various international initiatives to the order of hundreds of millions.

Also not a fan of his actions on the First Nations file which have allowed native groups to be able to endlessly litigate with public money, which means that our legal systems will be tied up with endless lawsuits and appeals. Expect land claims to be an increasing issue as reserves feel ever emboldened to claim land, and expect projects like the Trans Mountain Pipeline to be constantly held back by these same lawsuits.

On the border issue- it's very much possible to welcome legitimate refugees fleeing violence, while being able to be concerned about the economic migrants who have smartly taken advantage of our border agreements- who have both occupied significant portions of our shelter and legal systems, and who cost our provincial governments hundreds of millions (which the Liberals have reluctantly and inadequately funded).

Khadr is a bad look for any government. I don't know if he's entirely recalcitant as he still attempted to contact his extremist-linked sister, and there ton's of what-if arguments in terms of the payout- but we'll never really know.

Boyle doesn't seem to be a particularly sympathetic figure regardless of his links, so I'll be glad to not near about him at all.

In terms of the summer jobs funding- I would prefer it if the government didn't fund any program linked to religious groups at all, as they still funded a couple of Islamist-linked groups while denying funding to Christian ones.

There is virtually no-one eating mayonnaise sandwiches in Toronto unless they are making many other bad decisions like buying lotto tickets, beer, games, drugs. Anyone in Toronto with any sense has a roof over their head, clean water, heating, free education, free healthcare, police services, libraries & infrastructure. 90% of people on this planet would make productive use of this and not ask for more handouts.
It's your comment that makes me ever so sure more of my money wont solve your problems.

I invite you to live in Toronto on social assistance and tell me what groceries you can buy. Then tell me about how awesome your living conditions are.

Personally, I disliked Trudeau interjecting into our judicial system in favor of scoring outrage points right after the Colton Boushie and the Jian Ghomeshi trials- which had a dampening effect on our judicial system's ability to deliver justice impartially.

I agree. I'm not sure if it is a matter of he/they being contemptuous of the separate pillars of our system, ignorant of them (doubt it) are overwhelmed by a zeal to claim a higher moral ground. The legislature leads by laws, so shut up when a matter is in the hands of a part of the system you don't directly control. you get to propose any changes you wish in due course.

Also not a fan of him tossing money around to various international initiatives to the order of hundreds of millions.

Canada has been giving foreign aid since WWII and likely before. I often find comments like this stem from a disagreement with the cause being funded. At least an 'I'm against all foreign aid - period' is a consistent position.

Also not a fan of his actions on the First Nations file which have allowed native groups to be able to endlessly litigate with public money, which means that our legal systems will be tied up with endless lawsuits and appeals. Expect land claims to be an increasing issue as reserves feel ever emboldened to claim land, and expect projects like the Trans Mountain Pipeline to be constantly held back by these same lawsuits.

I'm not convinced the current government's position is much different from any which has gone before, except perhaps with a little bit more enthusiasm. Some matter being litigated were litigated a hundred years ago. It will, in fact, never end. The First Nations are not a monolithic block. They are all against Trans Mountain, except the ones are are on board and have signed on to be partners.

I invite you to live in Toronto on social assistance and tell me what groceries you can buy. Then tell me about how awesome your living conditions are.
I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but the very definition of 'social assistance' is help from complete strangers. Torontonians are literally giving you money for groceries and numerous other services I listed. I'm sincerely sorry it not enough, but I'm unwilling to pay more and more taxes, until you are content. My living conditions are far from "awesome".

There is virtually no-one eating mayonnaise sandwiches in Toronto unless they are making many other bad decisions like buying lotto tickets, beer, games, drugs. Anyone in Toronto with any sense has a roof over their head, clean water, heating, free education, free healthcare, police services, libraries & infrastructure. 90% of people on this planet would make productive use of this and not ask for more handouts.
It's your comment that makes me ever so sure more of my money wont solve your problems.

I don't bother w/you most of your comments. Similar to BurlOak you are beyond hope in much of your poor reasoning and wilful trolling.

Be that as it may, I will take this opportunity to call you for a post so completely absurd it defies any form of logic, no matter how twisted.

An entry level rental apartment in the East York area, will set you back not less than $1,500 per month.

A social assistance cheque for a single person is $733 per month..............see a problem?

Ah, but they could be working............so let's assume full-time hours, retail, minimum wage.

At $14 per hour x 37.5 hours per week (typical full-time retail), you get $2,100 per month, BEFORE taxes/deductions.

Of that you will lose $354 to income and payroll tax deductions (Income Tax, Health Tax, CPP, EI)

So you have $1,746 in usable real dollars.

After rent, you have $246 to buy food, transit, phone for a month. That doesn't account for any clothing at all, haircuts, dental or much of anything else.

Assuming you get get all non-food costs down to $100 per month (highly optimistic) .............. you have $146 to eat for the whole month.

That's a weekly grocery budget of $36.50.

Good luck.

I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but the very definition of 'social assistance' is help from complete strangers. Torontonians are literally giving you money for groceries and numerous other services I listed. I'm sincerely sorry it not enough, but I'm unwilling to pay more and more taxes, until you are content. My living conditions are far from "awesome".

You're worse than unsympathetic. You're ignorant and self-righteous about it.

I hope you are never in the position to need help from complete strangers, but if you were, I am glad that there is a system you can turn to.

I work for a religious charity. Perhaps this buildup person should spend some time with the front line workers who give meals and other assistance to the homeless and poor.

On topic. I am getting a similar feeling as I did when Harper did his rally with the Ford family and it pretty much guaranteed Trudeau a majority. Maybe he only gets a minority this time, but Doug is going to sink the CPC.

Videofrome, I have never 'worked for a charity' meaning I've never taken a salary, but have volunteered my time and donated to United Way every year, and support what used to be Foster Parents (now Plan Canada). And yes did a bit of Meals on Wheels when they were on Gerrard East near that Park. I've also noticed (not to stereotype) that recent immigrants to Canada typically find a way to make it work. In fact, often setting aside money for school. Northern Light refers to an 'entry level apartment'. What? After University I stayed in a rooming house run by a Russian woman. Me and 3 middle-aged bachelors would sit on a sofa and watch TV in the evening. Depressing. I'm not complaining, but the idea of living single in an apartment was absurd.
Pink Lucy, social media brings out the worst in me. I've sent you a message.

Last edited:
Northern Light refers to an 'entry level apartment'. What? After University I stayed in a rooming house run by a Russian woman. Me and 3 middle-aged bachelors would sit on a sofa and watch TV in the evening. Depressing. I'm not complaining, but the idea of living single in an apartment was absurd.

Nice, if you lived in a cardboard box, in an alley, apparently that's what you would expect everyone else to do.

The entry level apartment I spoke of .....is in a building w/no air conditioning, no amenities, no ensuite laundry..........we're talking about a very basic 1bdrm. That's it.

If you think people are too entitled to expect that.......we have nothing to discuss (i expect we don't). You come off as one of those people who suffered at some point in your life and instead of thinking "I hope no one else ever has to go through this"......

You think "God, I hope someone else has to suffer even worse" .

Its not a good look. Just sayin.

PS..........just for hell of it, I looked up renting a single, unfurnished room in East York........expect to pay about $900 per month.

Remember that social assistance cheque..........$733 per month????

Nice, if you lived in a cardboard box, in an alley, apparently that's what you would expect everyone else to do.

The entry level apartment I spoke of .....is in a building w/no air conditioning, no amenities, no ensuite laundry..........we're talking about a very basic 1bdrm. That's it.

If you think people are too entitled to expect that.......we have nothing to discuss (i expect we don't). You come off as one of those people who suffered at some point in your life and instead of thinking "I hope no one else ever has to go through this"......

You think "God, I hope someone else has to suffer even worse" .

Its not a good look. Just sayin.

PS..........just for hell of it, I looked up renting a single, unfurnished room in East York........expect to pay about $900 per month.

Remember that social assistance cheque..........$733 per month????
Its important (for me) to say what i think, when someone flippantly talks about increasing my taxes yet again like its a candy bowl..

Sounds like you are saying taxes should be high enough to enable at minimum (to quote) a 1 bedroom Toronto apartment with A/C, ensuite laundry, amenities, plus a modest but decent food budget. Plus free education and healthcare, rule of law (police) and fire. I assume you'd include TTC pass and internet. Is this what you're saying everyone should be entitled to as a bare minimum, because that is what I'm hearing.

Back