News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Deflection

I will bite - just how is he supposed to show leadership in this circumstance, since you seem to have some notion of what constitute good leadership? (Nevermind your thesis is questionable to start - that by not making rash decisions, this blockade didn't blow up into something like Oka or Ipperwash - and no one is going to even remember this episode a year later except those who want to create grievances out of it)

AoD

Last edited:
I will bite - just how is he supposed to show leadership in this circumstance, since you seem to have some notion of what constitute good leadership? (Nevermind your thesis is questionable to start - that by not making rash decisions, this blockade didn't blow up into something like Oka or Ipperwash - and no one is going to even remember this episode a year later except those who want to create grievances out of it)

AoD

You will remember it as the blockades are the new norm and the issue is nowhere near settled

Reconciliation is pretty much dead as the prime minister never defined it...it was just a positive branding word he used..
Like do you know what trudeau means by it? Does he even know?

Also trudeau has pretty much allowed outside activist and fringe elements an equal footing as elected chiefs by giving a handful of the herditary Chiefs so much substance when most natives at the reserve supported the pipeline.

100s of millions of economic damage has been caused and native fringe protestors...who now can routinely do this as they know the govt is hesitant to enforce the rule of law.

I do not now how one can say Trudeau handled the blockades well...it was a real lack of leadership to most canadians apart from the small minority of canadians the prime minister is liked by currently.

The only reason Trudeau changed his tune around the blockades was due to the polls showing canadians were not happy with his handling of the crisis.

Good leadership my ass...

As a result I have little confidence in Trudeau in handling this upcoming pandemic well.

Last edited:

AoD

The Natives on both sides for and against it is very complex to deal with however he needs to call out those trying to set the train on fire and also those blocking trains and international bridges.

You will remember it as the blockades are the new norm and the issue is nowhere near settled

Reconciliation is pretty much dead as the prime minister never defined it...it was just a positive branding word he used..
Like do you know what trudeau means by it? Does he even know?

Also trudeau has pretty much allowed outside activist and fringe elements an equal footing as elected chiefs by giving a handful of the herditary Chiefs so much substance when most natives at the reserve supported the pipeline.

100s of millions of economic damage has been caused and native fringe protestors...who now can routinely do this as they know the govt is hesitant to enforce the rule of law.

I do not now how one can say Trudeau handled the blockades well...it was a real lack of leadership to most canadians apart from the small minority of canadians the prime minister is liked by currently.

The only reason Trudeau changed his tune around the blockades was due to the polls showing canadians were not happy with his handling of the crisis.

Good leadership my ass...

As a result I have little confidence in Trudeau in handling this upcoming pandemic well.

The ripple effect is this will hurt all Natives and that is not right or fair.

Last edited:
Constitutionally-based deflection.

Edit: The feds have a responsibility to provide leadership in coordination and perhaps extraordinary funding, but on-the-ground delivery remains a provincial responsibility.

I just think compared to the United Kingdom and australia Canada's response to the virus has been rather Limited...

What would you have us do?

The Prime Minister should say this is a major issue and the govt top concern and that all efforts and plans are taking place but I have heard him say hardly anything about this and his govt compared to the govt in UK and Australia.

Like i find it odd the govt is saying dont travel to India due to some riots but its hesitant to really restrict travel from hotspots of the virus.

Like I do agree the job is the provinces in the end but I do really question if Trudeau has what it takes to deal with a pandemic. However, i will admit he has 2nd term drowning in crisis after the crisis so the pressure is on.

Imagine his beard will be fully gray by the next election.

Last edited:
This one problem I have with what our political system has become. Certainly, the PM has a leadership role in public assurance and overall policy direction, but he doesn't have to have his fingers publicly in everything. We have a Cabinet, 338 elected members and professional bureaucracy. We don't have a presidential system; he is just the first minister - first among equals (theoretically). If this is what we have become or what some want, we can save a whole lot of time and treasure and just have the PMO run the country.

This one problem I have with what our political system has become. Certainly, the PM has a leadership role in public assurance and overall policy direction, but he doesn't have to have his fingers publicly in everything. We have a Cabinet, 338 elected members and professional bureaucracy. We don't have a presidential system; he is just the first minister - first among equals (theoretically). If this is what we have become or what some want, we can save a whole lot of time and treasure and just have the PMO run the country.

I think my point is in the end, our system seems not very well suited for a national crisis... we seemed to go into our provincial fiefdoms.

The Prime Minister should say this is a major issue and the govt top concern and that all efforts and plans are taking place but I have heard him say hardly anything about this and his govt compared to the govt in UK and Australia.

Like i find it odd the govt is saying dont travel to India due to some riots but its hesitant to really restrict travel from hotspots of the virus.

Like I do agree the job is the provinces in the end but I do really question if Trudeau has what it takes to deal with a pandemic. However, I will admit he has 2nd term drowning in crisis after the crisis so the pressure is on.
The way Trudeau is handling this is just exposing Canada. Quite honestly, sometimes, (OK, most of the time), the country lacks national leadership and the provinces slog it out against each other and Ottawa. Since the US is putting the 14-day travel restriction for people coming from China, everyone is staying in Canada for those 14 days. Quite the dangerous situation. I heard that in California, they have a hospital ready when the coronavirus breaks out there. (If.)

He is drowning in crisis after crisis. They are also self-made. If he had been willing to take a stance on Trans Mountain and the other pipelines, the blockades might not be as bad. So basically, I more or less agree with you. (Sorry for the rant.)

Back