News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Is it just my impression, or is this an ongoing theme with this government - a smoke and mirrors approach, prioritizing style over substance, giving the appearance of doing something without actually including the necessary legislative "meat" to do so?

Mate....that's the Woke 2.0 Liberal way. You should be commending them for ideological consistency, not berating them for being all virtue show whilst.....hey, why is Dominic Barton our ambassador in China? (for example) ;)

Should Trudeau be boycotting the coming Olympics unless the two Michaels are released?
Yes if more than one country boycotts it will send a strong message to the world about the illegal arrest of the Michael, the police brutality in Hong Kong against democracy and the genocide against the Uighurs

Yes if more than one country boycotts it will send a strong message to the world about the illegal arrest of the Michael, the police brutality in Hong Kong against democracy and the genocide against the Uighurs
It’s the treatment of Canadians I care mostly about, though I am saddened to see the fall of Hong Kong, it being one of my favourite destinations to visit.

Throughout its first century, Canada conducted genocide, polluted as it industrialized and exploited labour. China is following in our footsteps, we’ve shown them what it takes. China’s treatment of the Uighurs is about as bad as Canada’s of our indigenous people in the 1900s. China on human rights of the populations under their control, like in many things such as environmental protections, labour rights, industrialization, food safety and consumer protections is a century behind Canada and the west. By the end of the 2000s I expect China will be equal if not ahead of most of us on these matters.

Anyway, if the Michaels are not released Canada cannot go to the Olympics. Imagine if we did go and China seized a Canadian athlete. In my work I’ve been to China five times, and I’ve promised my wife I will never return, including transiting through China to get to my customers in Singapore, Seoul and Taiwan. I recommend the same to all Canadian travellers.

Last edited:
You cannot compare something in the early 1800s to 1900s as a pass for China for the same treatment of Uighurs NOW. Humans have evolved over the years

By the same logic, should some countries have slavery now because North America had slavery before and eventually those countries will catch up and get rid of it?

Everyone needs to put pressure on China on human rights violations

You cannot compare something in the early 1800s to 1900s as a pass for China for the same treatment of Uighurs NOW. Humans have evolved over the years

By the same logic, should some countries have slavery now because North America had slavery before and eventually those countries will catch up and get rid of it?

Everyone needs to put pressure on China on human rights violations
It's disingenuous to claim Canada's treatment of its indigenous people was ancient history. The last federally-funded indigenous residential school closed in 1996. If you were alive and paying taxes then you were a direct contributor, as was I. My point is we kick China for doing exactly what our nation has done to reach its current state. The PRC, as a nation is only 72 years old. Humans have evolved? I call myopic malarkey on that. Yes, slavery exists now, if you're buying frozen shrimp, tinned tuna or textiles from south and south east Asia you're almost certainly contributing to the slave trade, but those shrimp rings are so tasty and the clothes so cheap that you, myself and all of us look the other way.

The only way China is going to change is the same way Canada, the USA or Europe changes, by the will of the people. And who's to say that China will take our path, mirror their economy, justice system and system of rights and freedoms on ours. Most of the world's population lives under corrupt or autocratic governments. We are the exception, not the rule. It's a dark and scary place out there. Canada's focus needs to be defending our interests in China and working with likeminded western nations to do the same. That means watching out for seizures of Canadians and violations of trade agreements, patents or trademarks, and risks to Canadians through Chinese incursions and investment into Canada, such as 5G. For starters, if the two Michaels are not released we must boycott the Olympics.

Last edited:
Pretty significant changes to the Criminal Code announced today in Ottawa.

While not moving to legalize/decriminalize any further drugs (something rumoured to be under consideration).

The changes announced today would removed mandatory minimum terms of imprisonment for drug possession and drug trafficking, as well as several other offenses.

There is no change being made to the maximum terms for said offenses.

News Release here:

From said release:

1613683072696.png

1613683115123.png

Several minimums will remain:

1613683159867.png

Should Trudeau be boycotting the coming Olympics unless the two Michaels are released?

No, but maybe because of the concentration camps and the genocide of the Uyghurs. I'm sure the Michaels will forgive me my indifference to their plight which is partly self-inflicted.

And in any case, the lives of two men can't compare to the existence of an entire culture of people.

Pretty significant changes to the Criminal Code announced today in Ottawa.

While not moving to legalize/decriminalize any further drugs (something rumoured to be under consideration).

The changes announced today would removed mandatory minimum terms of imprisonment for drug possession and drug trafficking, as well as several other offenses.

There is no change being made to the maximum terms for said offenses.

News Release here:

From said release:

View attachment 300616
View attachment 300617

Several minimums will remain:

View attachment 300618

I don't get it....that's only possession for the purpose of trafficking. Not simple possession. What's up with that?

And I'm not black or FN so I guess I should still be imprisoned for possession crimes. Why even include this bullshit divisive language? The law applies equally to all. Except, apparently these changes to the law are being made for the benefit of only some. Nice.

The only good thing about the Liberal Party in 2021 is MP Erskine-Smith....and I still can't believe he's a member. Too good for them.

I don't get it....that's only possession for the purpose of trafficking. Not simple possession. What's up with that?

And I'm not black or FN so I guess I should still be imprisoned for possession crimes. Why even include this bullshit divisive language? The law applies equally to all. Except, apparently these changes to the law are being made for the benefit of only some. Nice.

The only good thing about the Liberal Party in 2021 is MP Erskine-Smith....and I still can't believe he's a member. Too good for them.

There is no MMP for simple possession of which I am aware.

Therefore there is no need to repeal that which does not exist.

But I could stand to be corrected on that.

The changes don't apply only to people from the groups identified in the release (Black and Indigenous Canadians)

They simply note that the existence of the mandatory minimums had a disproportionate effect on those groups.

That happens to be true.

Do I think they dropped the language in at the press conference to excess? Yes.

Someone in communications will invariably say 'the more you repeat this, the more chance it will be quoted by media'.

I think its progress.

Inadequate and incomplete progress; but a start.

Last edited:
There is no MMP for simple possession of which I am aware.
Ok, that's fine and all, but I'm still not black and my scales used for personal consumption could be seen as being used for trafficking sooooo... :p

Therefore there is no need to repeal that which does not exist.

But I could stand to be corrected on that.
I don't know....I've kind of been ignoring these particular laws for decades now.
With the public prosecutor's office refusing to prosecute simple possession as of last summer it may be a moot point anyway. When your prosecutors and law enforcement don't stand behind the law......

The changes don't apply only to people from the groups identified in the release (Black and Indigenous Canadians)
Obviously not....I was just pointing out the fact that.....

Do I think they dropped the language in at the press conference to excess? Yes.

I think its progress.

Inadequate and incomplete progress; but a start.
Yeah, it's better than nothing.

Now, if you'll excuse me.....I have to go think about why it might be that as a non-black and non-FN person I've been carded, searched, wrongfully arrested, and beat by police all multiple times.
Must have something to do with how one acts and where and when.

No, but maybe because of the concentration camps and the genocide of the Uyghurs. I'm sure the Michaels will forgive me my indifference to their plight which is partly self-inflicted.

And in any case, the lives of two men can't compare to the existence of an entire culture of people.
Not genocide, IMO. Cultural genocide/ethnic cleansing, yes. There aren't any gas chambers involved.

Not genocide, IMO. Cultural genocide/ethnic cleansing, yes. There aren't any gas chambers involved.

Yeah, you're right....no gas chambers (that we know of). Makes the mass rape, slave labour, mass sterilisation, etc seem like a decent short-term economic plan. Free labour! Genius!

Come one mate......it doesn't matter that there are no gas chambers, the effect of what is going on there is the same as if there were.

I'm watching question period right now and almost feel bad for Garneau. He's being grilled on the Chinese genocide and he's trying so hard to non-answer and deflect and doing quite a good job of it, I should say.

Man, he went to space. What happened?

Back