News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Not sure what is in federal jurisdiction and would have a meaningful impact on affordability other than strongly curtailing lending and trying to nuke the housing market, which would be incredibly unpopular.

Capital controls. We're a global capital for money laundering. And a good chunk of it is in our real estate.

Beneficial ownership registries. Would help with the tax evasion and money laundering.

Tax policies on investments and capital gains in housing. Even those dastardly free market Americans have lifetime capital gains limits on primary residence.

CMHC involvement in Mortgage Backed Securities, including virtually all securitization for MBS in Canada.

Immigration levels. Particularly those of students. The feds could insist that students will not get visas to colleges that show no ability to house them.

And lastly the power of the purse. The feds need to codify hard standards for federal transit and housing dollars. Support should be inversely proportional to the percentage of zoning that is single family residential. And even tougher standards within walking distance of higher order transit. Stuff like this should have consequences to federal support:

Pride Toronto has had its share of controversy in the past few years, but the Montreal equivalent appear to have hit the all time low.

The reasons behind the shocking, last-minute cancellation of the Montreal Pride festival can be boiled down to a simple yet glaring oversight, according to the event's lead organizer: a failure to hire security staff.
The parade was cancelled on Sunday morning, just hours before it was set to kick off.
In an interview with CBC Montreal's Daybreak host Sean Henry, Simon Gamache said that was when he learned "about 100" security staff needed to monitor the parade route had never been hired.
"It was never done," said Gamache, Montreal Pride's executive director.

Watching news reports about this and having organized many events with volunteers, I just had so many questions ….

Guess they didn't see how Toronto Pride managed their parade this year. Much lower security costs I imagine when it's a free for all.

Last of an era. Yes, there's still semi-closeted gay politicians, but I don't think any are left who are married to a woman with children like Bill was.

Guess they didn't see how Toronto Pride managed their parade this year. Much lower security costs I imagine when it's a free for all.
The Montreal Pride has never separated the parade from the crowd with metal fencing and spectators could always join-in (particularly at the end). I assume their lack of security volunteers in Montreal this weekend has something to do with covid isolation but, if true, it seems very stupid to have rejected police security offers and then say 'ooops'..

Last of an era. Yes, there's still semi-closeted gay politicians, but I don't think any are left who are married to a woman with children like Bill was.
Considered the possibility that he was bisexual? I don't know the background but it feels kind of weird to declare that someone with a wife and children is definitely gay, absent their self identification.

I'll stick this item, on Dairy prices here, as that is a national issue for Canada.

It has now been revealed, that the extraordinary increases in dairy prices imposed by the Canadian Dairy Commission this year were nothing more than a money grab.

We're already dealing with an 8.4% hike approved in February, a second hike of 2.5% was just approved for total of just over 11% when compounding is factored.

It turns out...........the cost of producing dairy in Canada actually declined in 2021.

Funny, that, the cows did not demand wage increases, nor did the milking machines.........

Time for the Feds to order a rollback of all increases approved this year and order a consumer rebate on top of that for unjustified money grab already affected.

Quoting from the above

The data, presented in a slide deck dated July 28, revealed production costs decreased by one per cent between 2020 and 2021.
(The standardized cost to produce 100 litres of milk at a farm was $84.57 in 2021, down from $85.42 the year prior.)

Last edited:
We have a new appointment to the Supreme Court of Canada this morning, replacing retiring Justice Moldaver

Michelle O'Bonsawin

Without diminishing her legal chops in any way, she certainly checks some boxes, so to speak; she's a woman, a Franco-Ontarian who is fluently bilingual, and is of Indigenous descent as an Abenaki member of the Odanak First Nation.

1660919027577.png

source: https://caodanak.com/en/a-first-abenakise-judge/

Photo is from 2017

At age 47 she is a relatively young appointee.

While her overall CV is excellent, she's relatively light on experience as a judge having only joined the Superior Court in 2017.

Last edited:
Judging by announcements being made elsewhere in the country, I expect Federal $ will soon be announced for long term care in Ontario.

Alberta just got 115M following a similar announcement in Manitoba.

Here's something to chew on...............this money was allocated in the Fall 2020 Economic Statement, and is rolling out roughly 21 months (1 year, 9 months) later.

I don't think we have a thread on the Hockey Canada sexual assault scandals anywhere, so I'll leave this here since it includes what a formal Liberal MP has been busying himself with.

Three-time Olympic gold medalist Marnie McBean says a leading crisis-management firm hired by Hockey Canada asked her earlier this month to join a committee that will purportedly hold the organization accountable to the change it has promised.

But McBean says the offer was withdrawn a week later after she made it clear her joining the committee would be conditional on Hockey Canada’s top officials being removed from their positions.

McBean said in an interview with TSN on Wednesday that she was contacted Aug. 10 by Adam Vaughan, a former member of parliament and journalist with Citytv. Vaughan is now a principal at Toronto-based Navigator Ltd., the firm working with Hockey Canada to help the organization weather criticism from parliamentarians, its corporate partners, and the public over its response to allegations of sexual assault.

Is Navigator the only firm in the country that does this? They don't even seem to be good at it as they always are quickly found out and exposed making everything look much worse.

Last edited:

Back