News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It is certainly not a major reform (which is needed) but making it easier to vote is not 'meaningless'. It is a minority parliament that is on its last months, anything more complex would probably never pass and a major change really needs buy-in from all parties, even if nobody gets all they want.
I distinctly remember election reform being part of Trudeau's 2015 election platform, an election which he won with a majority.

I am pretty sure the LPC abandoned that promise with barely any fanfare at all (was it 2017?)

This smells like last-minute political pandering (to distract from spiraling housing and CoL costs?). It may bite them in the ass if voters remember what happened nearly a decade (!) ago.

Some of us remember her as a less than stellar TTC Chair....

Karen Stintz, the former city councillor and TTC chair, is seeking the Conservative nomination in Eglinton-Lawrence, hoping to help party leader Pierre Poilievre break the federal Liberals' stranglehold on Toronto seats.
Stintz confirmed in an interview that she will announce her bid for the nomination Monday.
"I thought I was out of politics, I thought I was done, but when Pierre got elected (leader), he inspired me," Stintz said in a midtown coffee shop. "I think he's an incredible communicator and I think he's able to give voice to the frustrations that people were feeling but couldn't articulate."

I distinctly remember election reform being part of Trudeau's 2015 election platform, an election which he won with a majority.

I am pretty sure the LPC abandoned that promise with barely any fanfare at all (was it 2017?)
Would have been nice if they had forced through the changes, but other parties were not on board, and they weren't at the burning bridges stage yet.

Wow it's absolutely meaningless, and does nothing to address our awful selection of federal parties to vote for.

Shameful.
I'm not too sure how "shameful" fits into it. How we elect and who we elect are different. It might be considered a shame who is available on a local ballot to choose from, but that is not part of the electoral process and not within the power of the Government.

If what is being reported is accurate, it pretty thin soup in terms of 'electoral reform'. Voting isn't all that difficult, particularly with the number of advanced polls we have now. Expanded mail-in ballots might impact some, but I can't see the numbers as being significant.

I would hope that, if a 'three day poll' is implemented, there is legislation that manages poling, reporting, campaigning, etc. We have enough trouble now with the west coast feeling that their vote is less significant because eastern results are already being released while their polls are still open.

Stintz confirmed in an interview that she will announce her bid for the nomination Monday.
"I thought I was out of politics, I thought I was done, but when Pierre got elected (leader), he inspired me," Stintz said in a midtown coffee shop. "I think he's an incredible communicator and I think he's able to give voice to the frustrations that people were feeling but couldn't articulate."
What frustrations are those? That Bitcoin is a farce rather than the solution to our financial problems?

We have three million people in this city but the media is quick to cover any of the hundred or so who have held office before, however competently, because pulling a file out of the cabinet is more cost effective than putting reporters on researching new faces with fresh ideas. If she gains the nomination but doesn’t win, she will have tied down LPC canvassing resources from being sent to more winnable seats for the Tories, and that will be good enough for PP

I would hope that, if a 'three day poll' is implemented, there is legislation that manages poling, reporting, campaigning, etc. We have enough trouble now with the west coast feeling that their vote is less significant because eastern results are already being released while their polls are still open.
One would imagine that with a 3 day voting window, the polls could close at the same time nationally. The west coast moaning about their votes not mattering because the votes in the east were counted earlier was never really rational. If it makes them feel better, let BC report their results an hour earlier!

One would imagine that with a 3 day voting window, the polls could close at the same time nationally. The west coast moaning about their votes not mattering because the votes in the east were counted earlier was never really rational. If it makes them feel better, let BC report their results an hour earlier!
I doubt there is a single voter out there who would significantly resent withholding voting results until all polls are closed who isn’t a media member (or party flack obviously)

Last edited:
The west coast moaning about their votes not mattering because the votes in the east were counted earlier was never really rational.
BC was only cited as an example. With 70% of the ridings east of the Ontario-Manitoba border (and all but two primarily in Eastern. Atlantic and NL time), it may well be rational.

BC was only cited as an example. With 70% of the ridings east of the Ontario-Manitoba border (and all but two primarily in Eastern. Atlantic and NL time), it may well be rational.
It isn't rational because each seat contributes to the balance of power in the House the exact same, whether they are in Toronto or BC.

It isn't rational because each seat contributes to the balance of power in the House the exact same, whether they are in Toronto or BC.
Well duh.

If you are a western voter and see eastern returns being posted before you vote, it can sway decision-making, from 'screw it why bother - it's already a lock' to changing a vote in support of or against a leading or trailing party.

It is raised just about every federal election. Perhaps not huge, but another point of east-west divide. We should all go to the poll armed with the same level of information.

Well duh.

If you are a western voter and see eastern returns being posted before you vote, it can sway decision-making, from 'screw it why bother - it's already a lock' to changing a vote in support of or against a leading or trailing party.

It is raised just about every federal election. Perhaps not huge, but another point of east-west divide. We should all go to the poll armed with the same level of information.
I doubt that many are voting in the half hour before the polls close, and the results that have rolled in are usually not all that conclusive, at least not much more than the last minute opinion polling.

Well duh.

Why would we hear this after the changes that were made to nearly harmonize voting times across most time zones?

From a recent election:

1706676285037.png

Back