News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Hopefully our esteemed mayor will be reading the report, and then asking Chief Blair (who has refused again to apologise) to resign.

You would think that, but you forget that Ford is a moron...

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford tells Police Chief Bill Blair to ‘hang in there’

Mayor Rob Ford expressed enthusiastic support for Police Chief Bill Blair on Sunday.

A scathing report from the province’s police watchdog concluded that officers violated citizens’ Charter rights, made unlawful arrests and used excessive force during the G20 summit in 2010. Blair has taken responsibility for the mistakes but has declined to apologize.

Ford said in the aftermath of the G20 that “our police were too nice.” At the end of his Sunday radio show, he and his brother, Councillor Doug Ford, had the following exchange:

Rob Ford: “I just want to tell our chief of police, Bill Blair, keep your head up. He’s going through some rough times right now with this G20 stuff, and I think he’s taking an unfair rap if you ask me. But hang in there, you’ll be okay.”

Doug Ford: “Yep, I double that. You know something chief, keep going. You’re a great chief. I was just talkin’ to the guys in Chicago about that NATO meeting down there, Rob, and sure enough those little anarachists, those little son of a guns, are down there, causin’ trouble. They go from city to city, and you know something . . .”

Rob Ford: “You can’t have these guys burnin’ police cars and smashin’ in windows, I’m sorry.”

Doug Ford: “Exactly. I’d stick those guys in the slammer and throw away the key.”

Rob Ford: “Sure.”

Doug Ford: “But that’s on another note. So I told them to knuckle down in Chicago. We were just watching it on the news right now, how the police are . . .”

Rob Ford: “Absolutely. No sympathy for them whatsoever.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...ells-police-chief-bill-blair-to-hang-in-there

Last edited:
To me, it's amazing how you can have a police officer beat up and seriously injure an innocent person (with visual proof) and yet large segments of the population will always blindly support the police, say the person deserved it. If one day that should happen to them, those same people would be shocked that the general public is not rising up to support the injustice brought against them. As long as the brutality happens to someone else, few people seem to really care. People's sense of right and wrong just seems to be out of whack.

You would think there would have been an uprising and a few heads would have rolled by now but nope, everything is just fine.

Now you know how Hitler managed to come to power.

(to hell with Godwin)

In my experience, the best thing you can do when dealing with the police is do what they tell you to do. If you cooperate, even if you don't legally have to, they will go easy on you.

I've had two "instances" when I was alleged to be on the wrong side of the law. The first was when a police helicopter was flying over my neighbourhood, and I wanted to get under it for some foolish reason. When I did get under it, a police officer came up to me and questioned me and eventually scanned my ID (fortunately out of habit, I rarely leave the house without my wallet). After realizing I had no prior offences, he told me what was going on - some kid beat another kid with a lead pipe. In previous experience when witnessing a police scene, they would never tell you anything.

The other time was for a speeding offence. While the cop took a hard line with me, I cooperated and he not only knocked down the ticket, but didn't write me up for driving without proper insurance (I had my temporary info, but not the current up to date one).

Working as a cashier, I've also occasionally some officers as customers. I've had friendly conversations with them, and even gotten some off-record legal advice at times as well. Assuming you are doing your best to be a "good citizen," the best thing you can do is be submissive. While I am currently reading a self-help book to change this trait of my personality as it is a complete turn off to women, I must admit it has helped to make my experiences with police far more pleasant.

EDIT: I want to add that I am not endorsing all police action as okay, just trying to share some personal info as to how to best deal with police. While I believe the vast majority are good cops, I think Blair needs to go and officers who deliberately break the law should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Depending on the circumstances, I cannot blame officers for not reporting every infraction their fellow employees commit. Where you work, do you report every little thing to your supervisor? Serious offences or if explicitly questioned about something I expect them to do their job, but if a fellow officer enjoys some marijuana in his spare time or speeds yet not so much to endanger other motorists I don't expect them to run to their supervisors with this information.

Last edited:
In my experience, the best thing you can do when dealing with the police is do what they tell you to do. If you cooperate, even if you don't legally have to, they will go easy on you.

I've had two "instances" when I was alleged to be on the wrong side of the law. The first was when a police helicopter was flying over my neighbourhood, and I wanted to get under it for some foolish reason. When I did get under it, a police officer came up to me and questioned me and eventually scanned my ID (fortunately out of habit, I rarely leave the house without my wallet). After realizing I had no prior offences, he told me what was going on - some kid beat another kid with a lead pipe. In previous experience when witnessing a police scene, they would never tell you anything.

The other time was for a speeding offence. While the cop took a hard line with me, I cooperated and he not only knocked down the ticket, but didn't write me up for driving without proper insurance (I had my temporary info, but not the current up to date one).

Working as a cashier, I've also occasionally some officers as customers. I've had friendly conversations with them, and even gotten some off-record legal advice at times as well. Assuming you are doing your best to be a "good citizen," the best thing you can do is be submissive. While I am currently reading a self-help book to change this trait of my personality as it is a complete turn off to women, I must admit it has helped to make my experiences with police far more pleasant.

All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing.

Not surprised to see Rob Ford voice enthusiastic public support for Blair. Ford owes Blair a huge favor after he escaped being charged with assault and public mischief in the incident with the The Star's Daniel Dale.

Any other citizen would have been charged under the exact same circumstances.

It was very disappointing that Daniel Dale did not insist on charges be laid against Ford and that his employer The Star - did not come out and call for Fords arrest.

Thanks to the symbiotic relationship between Blair and Ford it looks like we are stuck with both of them.

I once got criticized for saying Toronto cops were overpaid. I maintain that viewpoint. TO cops make more than an infantry soldier with hazard pay in Afghanistan. There is something very wrong when we pay cops more than soldiers in combat. What does that say about our city?

The pay issue aside, I am starting to see discipline slide in the force. As a CF member, it's strikingly similar to what my older colleagues said happened prior to the Somalia incident which lead to a top-to-bottom re-ordering of military professionalism and ethics. As angry as many were about the disbanding of the Airborne Regiment, most military members will readily admit that the unit had severe discipline issues which lead to the Somalia and hazing incidents. The drip-drip stories of the TPS is starting to sound like that.

Perhaps the TPS needs an organizational enema like what the military went through in the 90s. The older guys may disagree with me, but I think the military came out stronger, tougher and more disciplined because of it. I wonder how we would have fared in Afghanistan without this soul-searching.

^ I think that today most people would agree with you that Toronto cops are overpaid. Grossly overpaid! Starting at the top - what makes Bill Blair worth $320,000 a year? By comparison New York's NYPD Commissioner - Ray Kelly - is paid just over $200,000 a year!

To be sure the TPS needs an "organizational enema" but I don't know what it will take for that to happen. What does Bill Blair have to do before he gets fired? Today in the Toronto SUN , it was revealed that the Toronto Police operates a well stocked bar for senior officers on the fourth floor of Police headquarters. It is stocked with the finest spirits, wines and beers and operates on some kind of honor system (there is no bartender to regulate consumption or food served to moderate the effects of the booze).

You can be sure that Bill Blair is aware of the existence of this bar and yet he condoned it despite the fact that operating such an open bar on city property could expose the city to an enormous lawsuit if a drunk officer were to ever kill someone while driving home drunk from the office. The city may well have a huge legal exposure if a group of alcoholic police officers decide to file a class action suit alleging that a culture of drinking on the job led to their addiction. A few months back the head of the R.I.D.E. program had to be driven home in the back a squad car after he showed up for work drunk so the culture of drinking seems to be as big a problem as the culture of corruption on the TPS force.

In the private sector a senior manager who exposed his company to such an enormous legal risk would be fired with cause. Unlikely anything will happen to Blair after this latest outrage.

"Bottoms up at Police Headquarters" (you can't make this stuff up ! LOL!)

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/05/2...eed-for-bar-inside-headquarters#disqus_thread

“It always seemed strange to me for Toronto Police to fly the banner of Mother’s Against Drunk Driving in the lobby and yet right above there is a bar.”

Last edited:
"Bottoms up at Police Headquarters" (you can't make this stuff up ! LOL!)

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/05/2...eed-for-bar-inside-headquarters#disqus_thread

“It always seemed strange to me for Toronto Police to fly the banner of Mother’s Against Drunk Driving in the lobby and yet right above there is a bar.”

That's a great quote, given that MADD has become a neo-temperance organization (not to mention a spotty record for its 'charitable' works.)

The drinking, alcoholic cop is an old cliche (think Jimmy McNulty, just one of many that fit that archetype), but there's a lot of truth to it. Having an unsupervised open bar on site should be an outrage.

kEiThZ:

I am starting to see discipline slide in the force. As a CF member, it's strikingly similar to what my older colleagues said happened prior to the Somalia incident which lead to a top-to-bottom re-ordering of military professionalism and ethics. As angry as many were about the disbanding of the Airborne Regiment, most military members will readily admit that the unit had severe discipline issues which lead to the Somalia and hazing incidents. The drip-drip stories of the TPS is starting to sound like that.

+1. It would seem to me that the sense of "duty" is something that has been severely eroded. I think an even bigger question is - who do they recruit and why. It is pretty clear the whole mess can't simply be laid at the foot of senior management.

AoD

Last edited:
Do you really believe that?

Do you honestly believe the majority of people in this city are losing trust in the police?

Do you really believe we live in a police state? Do you know what a true police state looks like?

The angriest most Torontonians ever get at police is when they get a speeding ticket.

Get a grip.

Yes, I really believe that. You need to wake up.

Yes, I really believe that. You need to wake up.

Oh good lord. Would you like a tin foil hat with that?

Nobody who claims we're in a police state has ever been to a police state, or knows someone who's lived in a police state. Even the US is worse than here, and not even that's bad.

Last edited:
Oh good lord. Would you like a tin foil hat with that?

Nobody who claims we're in a police state has ever been to a police state, or knows someone who's lived in a police state. Even the US is worse than here, and not even that's bad.
I don't most people are suggesting we're in a police state ... however, that doesn't mean that the Toronto Police Force doesn't have corruption, incompetence, and has been operating illegally.

But Nfitz, don't you see? It's okay that the police are ungovernable -- not to mention sometimes brutal and corrupt -- because they generally keep their brutality and corruption at levels that compare favourably to some other places in the world. And that's really the standard we should be aiming for.

But Nfitz, don't you see? It's okay that the police are ungovernable -- not to mention sometimes brutal and corrupt -- because they generally keep their brutality and corruption at levels that compare favourably to some other places in the world. And that's really the standard we should be aiming for.
Oh right. Got it. What was I thinking.

You people are ridiculous and sensationalist.

All you libertarian types wouldn't last 2 days without police. Typical case of internet tough guy.

Back