News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Oh yeah, in 100% agreement; I was cynically already counting on her getting re-elected with an unsatisfactory vote share.
It is funny how quickly councilors change their colours. Robinson was a much more progressive councilor, during the Ford mayoralty.

Glen De Baeremaeker was once a progressive environmentalist too. He will also be re-elected with a disproportionately high percentage of the vote.

Reactions: DSC
Next, ranked ballot voting.

See link.

ranked-ballot-2.jpg

220px-Preferential_ballot.svg.png

Carmichael Greb voted in favour of the 47-ward proposal, which to me suggests that Tory actually was in favour of it.

Did Greb have a stake in the 47-ward option being selected at all?

And I have a really hard time conceptualizing why Tory would be in favour of the 47-ward option. It only makes the implementation of his agenda more challenging.

A nice benefit of these new boundaries is that it would effectively neuter a Ford administration, in the unlikely event he were to win the election.

One interesting point about the OMB decision is that the Board consisted of 3 members and one (Blair Taylor) wrote a dissenting opinion that is at the end of the OMB document. In essence Taylor says:
dissent.JPG

This certainly shows the wisdom of greatly restricting the OMB' ability to change properly made Municipal decisions. The whole Ward Boundary Review process was handled very openly with the hired experts looking at many options, holding public meetings and after a full discussion at Council. It was only after examining, and rejecting, the 'smaller Council option' that they recommended the (approved) 47 Ward model.

If one other Board member had agreed with Mr Taylor we would have the 25 Councillor model imposed on us. It may well have benefits but it WAS carefully examined and was clearly rejected. If two appointed OMB Members had imposed it on us it would have been amazingly undemocratic.

Attachments

• dissent.JPG
    dissent.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 868
One interesting point about the OMB decision is that the Board consisted of 3 members and one (Blair Taylor) wrote a dissenting opinion that is at the end of the OMB document. In essence Taylor says:
View attachment 130345

This certainly shows the wisdom of greatly restricting the OMB' ability to change properly made Municipal decisions. The whole Ward Boundary Review process was handled very openly with the hired experts looking at many options, holding public meetings and after a full discussion at Council. It was only after examining, and rejecting, the 'smaller Council option' that they recommended the (approved) 47 Ward model.

If one other Board member had agreed with Mr Taylor we would have the 25 Councillor model imposed on us. It may well have benefits but it WAS carefully examined and was clearly rejected. If two appointed OMB Members had imposed it on us it would have been amazingly undemocratic.
The biggest flaw from that process was the lack of an attempt to quantify the optimal council size for legislative and executive functions, or the maximum riding size for representative and operational purposes. I would have preferred a smaller council size supported by properly-funded constituency offices and an expanded 311.

There is zero proof that 47 seats are more effective than 44 or 25.

Did Greb have a stake in the 47-ward option being selected at all?

And I have a really hard time conceptualizing why Tory would be in favour of the 47-ward option. It only makes the implementation of his agenda more challenging.

I would love to Greb to lose her seat.

Still, it is so difficult to turf incumbents - only one incumbent lost in 2014. I find it disconcerting that with only one incumbent turfed that the likelihood for high quality challengers of the Alex Mazer and Alejandra Bravo caliber to throw their hat in the ring is less likely.

Council races take money and resources and if candidates like the aforementioned who seemingly have all the expertise and campaign resources are unable to take down weak incumbents, then what does that say about the potential for high caliber council candidates in 2018?

The biggest flaw from that process was the lack of an attempt to quantify the optimal council size for legislative and executive functions, or the maximum riding size for representative and operational purposes. I would have preferred a smaller council size supported by properly-funded constituency offices and an expanded 311.

There is zero proof that 47 seats are more effective than 44 or 25.
I do not disagree with you that a smaller council with better funded offices might well be better but in all fairness the review did look at larger and smaller Ward sizes. We may (possibly) think they came up with the wrong number but there was widespread consultation and having that result over-turned by 2 OMB Board members would NOT have been a good result.

The old (and current ward boundaries) were created in 1997, and were based on the 1991 census. Six years difference.

The proposed ward boundaries are based on the 2011 census. See link, dated 2015.

This change is already outdated, when looking at the 2016 census. See link. Map below shows difference between 2011 and 2016.
25111-87399.jpg

This means that the ward boundaries should be changed much more sooner than later. We shouldn't wait another 20 years before we do it again.

If only there was some type of process that automatically redistributes the boundaries every 10 years or so.

This means that the ward boundaries should be changed much more sooner than later. We shouldn't wait another 20 years before we do it again.

See in particular paras 26 and 27 o the OMB decision:

26] Dr. Davidson explained that the 47 ward structure is designed to be used in at least three and perhaps four, election cycles: 2018, 2022, 2026 and 2030. The TWBR established 2026 as the target or design year for the project. A target year or target election is required to draw ward boundaries. The assumption made was that given the City is growing at a rapid rate, the review had to consider future growth and where that growth is going to occur. Designing a system with a 2018 target year would have
resulted, in Dr. Davison’s view, i
n ward boundaries that would have to immediately be revisited following that election. Dr. Davidson explained that the TWBR looked to the future and considered the growth of the City in determining a new ward structure. He said that in a fast growing Cit
y, this is critical: “Determining new ward boundaries solely
from the last census (2011) would yield a ward configuration out of balance at the outset
(2018) that will become progressively more problematic in subsequent elections”
(Exhibit 4, Davidson Witness Statement, para. 129). Consequently, what the TWBR did was use a projection scenario that reflects the
Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, 2006
(with a total projected population of 3.190 million for 2031). The City has detailed population projections by 599 small geographic areas called Traffic Zones
(“TZs”).
The City relies on these projections for use in the Official Plan and by other departments. They take into account proposed and potential development. The TWBR used the City TZ population projections, adjusted to election years, and calculated the voter parity based on population (also described as the population parity) component of effective representation for the various options under consideration.

[27] Dr. Davidson explained that the target year of 2026 to design ward boundaries remains appropriate for several reasons. He stated:

It provides stability for at least 3 elections and possibly 4. It is only 8
years in the future from the next election in 2018. It allows Toronto’s rapid growth to be accommodated, as it is more appropriate to allow wards to grow towards voter parity than away from voter parity. Selecting 2026 as the target year allows the TWBR to address the imbalance that arises from both wards with small populations that are stable and wards with large populations that are growing rapidly” (Exhibit 4, Davidson Witness Statement, para. 62)

Keesmaat's planning department population projections do not make sense. I don't understand why in certain areas growth (planned and unplanned) are included into populations, but in other areas, they aren't. How is Ward 6 maintaining the same ward boundaries after adding 30k residents at Humber Bay (Mark Grimes' figure)?

Back