News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Touché. :)

Okay, so sell me on it. Why have you chosen to spend half your life there?

Firstly, I am not 80! So your math is a bit off. ;)

I am not gonna sell you on it (partly because people make their own choices, partly cause it is not my job to do it and, mostly, cause your preconcieved notion of Brampton is hard to shift in all likelihood...and that is fine). As for me/we....why does anyone live anywhere? We enjoy our day to day lives....it has the right balance of "stuff" for our family......the school system works for our family....there is stuff to do....it is reasonably proximal to other areas we want to go to......we enjoy the cultural/ethnic diversity of the place......we like our house, we like our neighbours(hood) and it is home.

There is stuff we don't like too (we don't like having the highest residntial tax rates in the GTA...but we understand why it is so.....we don't like being the worst served community - relative to population - by provinicial responsiblilites like GO Transit, lanes of highway and hospital beds) but most of those are (IMO) just a function of Brampton's growth coming so fast and at a time when the funding of things follows a different model (unlike, say, Mississauga which grew earlier and in a time when the provincial government had more of a "you got people...here, have some hospital beds" kinda fiscal attitude).

As much as we like the place we also think the potential is greater than is being achieved now and we enjoy seeing the struggle to "get there".

Honestly, the city takes a lot of "shots" like the one you delivered and I often wonder how many people making those shots have ever been to Brampton. (that is not a shot back at you but just an observation over the last 40 years).

So, yes, people do choose to live there.

Last edited:
Firstly, I am not 80! So your math is a bit off. ;)

I am not gonna sell you on it (partly because people make their own choices, partly cause it is not my job to do it and, mostly, cause your preconcieved notion of Brampton is hard to shift in all likelihood...and that is fine). As for me/we....why does anyone live anywhere? We enjoy our day to day lives....it has the right balance of "stuff" for our family......the school system works for our family....there is stuff to do....it is reasonably proximal to other areas we want to go to......we enjoy the cultural/ethnic diversity of the place......we like our house, we like our neighbours(hood) and it is home.

There is stuff we don't like too (we don't like having the highest residntial tax rates in the GTA...but we understand why it is so.....we don't like being the worst served community - relative to population - by provinicial responsiblilites like GO Transit, lanes of highway and hospital beds) but most of those are (IMO) just a function of Brampton's growth coming so fast and at a time when the funding of things follows a different model (unlike, say, Mississauga which grew earlier and in a time when the provincial government had more of a "you got people...here, have some hospital beds" kinda fiscal attitude).

As much as we like the place we also think the potential is greater than is being achieved now and we enjoy seeing the struggle to "get there".

Honestly, the city takes a lot of "shots" like the one you delivered and I often wonder how many people making those shots have ever been to Brampton. (that is not a shot back at you but just an observation over the last 40 years).

Your married?

Brampton is #1 pick for East Indians. It's probably one of the few places in Canada where newly landed east Indian Immigrants can move to a neighbourhood where everyone speaks Punjabi.

Brampton is also 20 percent black.,

For many waves of immigration, Brampton has seen it's growth shift and change with where our immigrants are coming from. My family was part of the great British wave from the 50's that lasted through to the early 70's. As a kid growing up there it felt very much like your family had not left the British Isles (although you got an annual reminder around January/February ;) ).

That wave came to an end and we saw a large immigration trend to south asian communities (although one thing you learn growing/living there is that not everyone with brown skin is Indian - you absorb/learn about Pakistan/Bangladesh/Sri Lanka/etc - and that not all Indians speak Punjabi...there is as much diversity amongst the south Asian community as you will find anywhere....I laugh every time I see a politician pandering to one of the communities thinking they are gonna get the "ethnic vote" not realizing that there is that diversity).

One of the things I am keen to see in the results from the 2011 census, is what that shift has been now. It is my sense (just from lving/enjoying/shopping/eating/etc in town) that Brampton's inward migration has shifted a bit again. It would be my guess, that the south asian immigration has slowed (partly because the economy in that region of the world has developed and there is less economic urgency to "get out" and partly because other parts of the GTA have also developed South Asian communities) and that there has been a large growth in the Latin American population in Brampton. It is remarkable how much spanish gets spoken in shops, malls, cinemas, etc around Brampton and it is not at all uncommon to meet people from Argentina, Chile, Peru, Ecuador, etc.

You have mentioned many pros for Brampton, none of which is unique and can be considered an advantage for Brampton. You can say the same thing for pretty much everywhere in GTA, or Canada. While the cons seems to be alarming enough for one not to.

You have mentioned many pros for Brampton, none of which is unique and can be considered an advantage for Brampton. You can say the same thing for pretty much everywhere in GTA, or Canada. While the cons seems to be alarming enough for one not to.

That is my point....people live where they live and if they don't enjoy it they move. All places have their pros and cons....like I said in the first response it was not my goal, nor my job, to convince others to move there...just responding to a rather blunt/abrupt "who would live there"...lots pick to live there and lots don't....not sure that is any different from any other place.

That wave came to an end and we saw a large immigration trend to south asian communities (although one thing you learn growing/living there is that not everyone with brown skin is Indian - you absorb/learn about Pakistan/Bangladesh/Sri Lanka/etc - and that not all Indians speak Punjabi...there is as much diversity amongst the south Asian community as you will find anywhere....I laugh every time I see a politician pandering to one of the communities thinking they are gonna get the "ethnic vote" not realizing that there is that diversity).

That's very true. Many politicians (or average people for that matter) seem enjoy pretending to support/like minorities when they have so little knowledge and show no interest in them. To call everyone non-white "visible minority" and lump them together is such an insult already that they don't even realize.

People from different cultural backgrounds are all different. There is nothing that makes being white particularly different from everyone else. I really hope a country like Canada can stop using that term. I have never seen the the Brazilians call any non-brown people "visible" minority for example.

As per usual statistical interpretations are difficult and often misleading outside of context. The point made about development of new lands versus municipal densification is one such point. Take Toronto's growth rate because it is of interest to us.

Population growth of an established urban entity that is already built out is actually very difficult to achieve. It may really be far more impressive than a 50% increase in a smaller community relying on greenfield development. It's very difficult for a built-out urban entity to even maintain population over time. Just ask large American or European urban centres.

However, as I've mentioned before I believe population growth should not be blindly viewed as positive or negative. If population growth is degrading communities or surpressing average standard's of living it should generally be viewed unfavourably.

Wait, I don't get it. Why are published population numbers such as the total population of Canada (over 34 million versus 33.5 million), Toronto etc. much higher than the numbers presently released by statistics canada even though the growth rates 2006-2011 exceed those of 2001-2006?

I guess because they had a forecasting model for the intercensal years, and that model was wrong wrong wrong.

The same thing happened for Ontario as a whole. I think its pop came in about 1-2% lower than the 2011 projection I had seen.

Could this be because Ontario is losing immigrants to the West, and nobody noticed that until recently?

I guess because they had a forecasting model for the intercensal years, and that model was wrong wrong wrong.

The same thing happened for Ontario as a whole. I think its pop came in about 1-2% lower than the 2011 projection I had seen.

Could this be because Ontario is losing immigrants to the West, and nobody noticed that until recently?

No. They don't base population projections directly on preliminary census results, so initial census releases will [always?] be different (lower) than current estimates.

Back