News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I don't think the only solution to intensification are condos. When I look at Downsview Park for example, since it appears only a portion of it will remain a park, why not build homes on smaller lots, no more than 25'. They could have a garage in the back if need be but I'd say leave it out. Build them with 3 storey and there will be plenty of room for each child to have their own bedroom for what appears to be a trend nowadays. You can get double the number of families living on a street. Streets need to be developed with houses based on the way they were built in Old Toronto not on 50' lots

I'm seriously at a loss when I try to understand the historical context for some of the decisions Toronto implemented. Are any legitimate efforts underway to seriously intensify the population of Toronto?

Though to be fair, have such efforts at "serious intensification" succeeded *anyplace* of comparable size? At least, in the West over the past few decades?

Top 10 Ontario:

Toronto 2,615,060
Ottawa 883,391
Mississauga 713,443
Brampton 523,911
Hamilton 519,949
London 366,151
Markham 301,709
Vaughan 288,301
Kitchener 219,153
Windsor 210,891

EDIT: Brampton and Vaughan up 20%!

Last edited:
Population Centre: 5,132,794

Metropolitan Area: 5,583,064

Greater Golden Horseshoe: 8,695,070

-Brant: 136,035
-Dufferin: 56,881
-Durham: 608,124
-Haldimand: 44,876
-Halton: 501,669
-Hamilton: 519,949
-Kawartha Lakes: 73,214
-Niagara: 431,346
-Northumberland: 82,126
-Peel: 1,296,814
-Peterborough: 134,933
-Simcoe: 446,063
-Toronto: 2,615,060
-Waterloo: 507,096
-Wellington: 208,360
-York: 1,032,524

It is way better growth rate than between 2001-2006, look at the bright side! I still want to see the growth in different parts of the city. I would bet that Old Toronto and North York account for most of the growth.

Another intersting trend is contiunuous growth of GTA suburbs at much faster rate than Toronto... I was expecting to see some signs of reverse suburbanization, which has not materialized.

Another intersting trend is contiunuous growth of GTA suburbs at much faster rate than Toronto... I was expecting to see some signs of reverse suburbanization, which has not materialized.

That's really the least interesting thing ......

Check out Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton, Halifax ... the exact same trend.
You may bring up Calgary as an exception but it really isn't, check out the Calgary CMA consists of, basically just Calgary :)
i.e. Calgary is full of large tracts of empty land near its boarder.

I think we could potentially see numbers higher then 4-5% over said timespan but not much. No matter how many condos you build.

Mississauga is falling a lot too! Only 6.7%! That should really tell you everything.

That's how I feel too.
It would be nice if cities like Brampton can act like a real city with a population of more than half a million instead of functioning as a sad flat suburb of Toronto who can't exist on its own. Lyon, France has fewer people yet manages to be a true city. Mississauge has similar population as Austin and San Francisco and guess who outside of GTA has ever heard its name. Most would think it is somewhere in Latin America.

Makes sense given most immigrants are looking to settle in homes in the GTA, since they are a) cheaper than TO and b) larger (multiple generations living in one household). Also, new immigrants want to be close to ammenities that suit their needs/culture and move to areas where people of their ethnicity are living too. Hence, Brampton will continue to boom as long as South Asians make up the largest/second largest group of incoming immigrants...they want large homes and want to be near places of religious worship, groceries/specialty stores, and a area where they won't feel out of place.

Toronto's population is now 2,615,060, up 4.5% from 2006. Unacceptable!

Rob Ford wanted a 10% reduction in population to justify spending cuts of 10%. If there is an increase in population, that means more spending and we can't have that in Rob's world.

You may bring up Calgary as an exception but it really isn't, check out the Calgary CMA consists of, basically just Calgary :)

What I really noted is how the Calgary and Ottawa CMAs are basically equal now at 1.2 million!

Not too long ago (1991 census) Calgary was closer to Winnipeg than Ottawa:

4. Ottawa: 920,857
5. Edmonton: 839,924
6. Calgary: 754,033
7. Winnipeg: 652,354

Back