News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Which of the following transit options works best for Brampton & Area?

• Add or subtract routes from current BT bus network

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Extension of local bus service to outlying communities: Huttonville, Tullamore, Valleywoods

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I also find it frustrating that Mississauga planners don't see the big picture. The Hurontario LRT should be an extremely important link between Mississauga and Brampton. And it should go as far as possible to avoid extra transfers.

It is not just the Mississauga planners that don't see the "big picture," it is also the TTC planners as well. They are planning to split the Queen streetcar route at the Humber Loop when instead they should be working with the 905 systems to extend it to Hamilton "to avoid transfers."

The Hurontario LRT needs to go only as far as Downtown Brampton, thereby linking three GO stations on three routes, and three growth centres. Brampton Downtown and GO/VIA station is really a break point, so I don't think it needs to go beyond there, better bus service is enough. But if it was Mississauga planners calling the shots, they'd loop it at the useless point of Hurontario/Britannia, or at the 407. Given that the studies are funded jointly between the two cities for the LRT, this will likely not happen.

BT's transit planners deserve kudos for not subscribing to the concept of dumping passengers at the city limits - they want, for example, a one seat ride to York U and the Downsview subway station from Downtown Brampton, and a one seat quality bus down Main Street to Square One. Believe it or not, BT is now one of the most progressive systems in Ontario, a big jump from even only a few years ago.

If I recall correctly, it was Brampton that was initially calling for Hurontario/407 to be a transfer point between the two systems, not Mississauga. I agree that the LRT should go no farther than Downtown Brampton, but I think Queen should still be the priority...

If I recall correctly, it was Brampton that was initially calling for Hurontario/407 to be a transfer point between the two systems, not Mississauga. I agree that the LRT should go no farther than Downtown Brampton, but I think Queen should still be the priority...

We're going to get both a Hurontario line and a Queen line. Both are funded and are entering detailed engineering design phases right now.

I don't think we need to declare one a priority over the other. Shovels are pretty much already in the ground.

Is Queen going to be LRT or BRT? I've been told by a source at City Hall that Hurontario is definitely going to be LRT.

I haven't seen anything more than Acceleride "BRT" for the short term, with Viva-II BRT in later stages.

Though Hurontario/Main will definately be LRT to downtown Brampton - Brampton has funded its share of the LRT study already. I just don't see the Queen corridor working that well for LRT in the next few decades - better buses are probably enough.

Is Queen going to be LRT or BRT? I've been told by a source at City Hall that Hurontario is definitely going to be LRT.

Assuming MO2020 is implemented as proposed, Queen will be BRT. Sean has said that they want to have one seat from downtown Brampton to York U/the Subway, so Acceleride Queen will likely overlap or replace VIVA Orange.

Back on Hurontario, it's going to be interesting to see how the LRT serves Square One and Shopper's World Terminals.

In Shoppers World's case, I'd just move the bus terminal again next to Main Street. The bus terminal there now was great when I lived there, as I lived just west of the mall, but it results in BT's most obvious failure - the lack of connection between the 2 and the terminal, loading more people on route 52 than there should be.

Fully agree. Even though the transfer point between MT 19 and BT 2 is across from the courthouse and the police headquarters, I don't feel as safe there at night as I would in the terminal.

Square One is going to provide a bit more of a challenge.

In Shoppers World's case, I'd just move the bus terminal again next to Main Street. The bus terminal there now was great when I lived there, as I lived just west of the mall, but it results in BT's most obvious failure - the lack of connection between the 2 and the terminal, loading more people on route 52 than there should be.

Wouldn't it be easier just to reroute 2 Main into the existing terminal though? I don't know much about ridership south of Steeles but unless there's a really high demand for through travel to the Court House, I don't see why 52 McMurchy couldn't handle it on its own.

This would benefit alot of routes. The 52 would run more frequently than every 30 mins off-peak. 11 Steeles could eliminate the throwaway stops at Hurontario, speeding through that intersection. 2 Main, on Brampton's most significant throughfare would link to terminals on both ends and provide a local service between Steeles and Neilson that the Hurontario LRT could bypass.

Square One is going to provide a bit more of a challenge.

Couldn't the LRT veer off of Huronatrio between Burnhamthrope and the 403? Transit should be mutable, flexible and routed as close to major destinations as possible.

^

Yes to both your suggestions. The original square one terminal offered perfect connections between buses on Steeles and on Hurontario. In the mean time, the number 2 should go into Shoppers World Terminal, which was moved a block west about 8 years ago. In the long term, it might be wise to move it back so that its closer to the development at the intersection of Steeles and Main.

As for Square One, the terminal is huge and shouldn't be moved. The LRT line will have to accommodate it. Shoppers World, on the other hand, is small enough to be moved to accommodate the LRT.

The Shoppers World terminal is too small as it is. It was built larger than the old terminal, which was 6 bays and 3 shelters in the most congested part of the old mall. The "new" one has 6 bays for BT and a second platform that can accomodate 2 MT artics.

The excuses that BT gave me for not connecting to the Shoppers terminal was that the terminal was too crowded (which is true), and that they wanted the direct ride up and down the street. The trouble is that 4 routes, 3, 4, 51 and 53, don't meet what is supposed to be the a main corridor for BT. I asee a lot of people using the MT 19 for intra-Brampton trips from Shoppers to County Court or Ray Lawson.

The current bus terminal in MCC was only built where it is now to connect to the BRT and Square One, and it is already overcapacity anyways, so there is no point in diverting the LRT off of Hurontario. Another BRT station and bus terminal can be built at Hurontario to connect to the LRT, and I believe that is what they are planning anyways...

The current bus terminal in MCC was only built where it is now to connect to the BRT and Square One, and it is already overcapacity anyways, so there is no point in diverting the LRT off of Hurontario. Another BRT station and bus terminal can be built at Hurontario to connect to the LRT, and I believe that is what they are planning anyways...

I hope it doesn't end up like transferring at Spadina...

Back