9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
First off we could start off with a Yonge extension south to Centre Island, where the corresponding island can become the new Downtown South with a cluster of condos, office space, and shopping.

The St. Clair streetcar can be extended west to Jane and then continue up Scarlett Road and then onto Dixon all the way to the airport. The extension can be sold as a "rapid transit" route from St. Clair to the airport.

The St. Clair streetcar line can also be extended east by snaking it somehow to Castle Frank Station, and then down Parliament to Union Station to have a "rapid transit" line from Union to the Airport even though it's not the most direct route.

A Trans-Ontario tunnel or glass tube under water would be good to go from Toronto and St. Catherines, but to be more inclusive the tunnel network can include exit and entry apertures in Hamilton and Niagara Falls so the netwrok would look like a gigantic "X".

Instead of burying the Gardiner, or eliminating it. The Gardiner can be replaced with a glass tube in the lake itself bypassing just about everything in the city with exit and entry apertures every 2 km along it.

If you're going to put the Gardiner in a glass tube under the lake, you'd definitely have to have a condo development in the harbour. Of course, to make sure this development is as transit-oriented as possible, an ART network will be built approximately halfway between the surface of the water and the lakebed.

Oh my god, I actually half like that idea :eek:

But if you want crazy, how about this. To provide relief to the Yonge line, we should build an express subway line exactly 50 feet above Yonge! With stations in the middle of office buildings/condos, it will ensure that only high density developments get served by transit. This would encourage developers to build more densely.

-flights between downsview airport and toronto island airport every 5 minutes.

-new commuter rail line between rochester and toronto utilizing a floating railway on the lake.

-streetcars hanging from overhead tracks.

-build all the previously proposed unbuilt toronto expressways as cables which transmit hundreds of thousands of photos of cars throughout the city each day. then in 5 years, build HOV lanes.

- change the name of the don valley parkway to don valley driveway and refer to current driveways as parkways so people don't get confused about where to park their cars.

-replace the track system of transit city with an ice surface and have the transit vehicles skate.

-build a subway system that uses water and sloping tunnels to flush rail-less cars forward.

Last edited:
- change the name of the don valley parkway to don valley driveway and refer to current driveways as parkways so people don't get confused about where to park their cars.

-replace the track system of transit city with an ice surface and have the transit vehicles skate.

-build a subway system that uses water and sloping tunnels to flush rail-less cars forward.
I like all these ideas :D The Parkway-Driveway switch is really a no-brainer to me. Then again, maybe it's because I go faster on my driveway than on the DVP :p

Speaking of ice, I've found myself feeling in a winterey mood. I'm not sick of summer, but I've been listening to music, watching movies and playing games/levels in games I define as very "wintery." As a result, the thought of skating transit vehicles in a winter wonderland is making me very, very happy.

I've got a different kind of inane transit idea--like, you know the POP cops on the Queen line? They should do complete body searches

All roads and streets should be in tubes or domes, so that the pollution can be filtered out and not harm the environment. Trap the CO and CO2 and don't let them contribute to global warming.

map.jpg
toronto_islands.gif

With the new proposed light rail vehicle maintenance facilities to be located near Eastern Avenue, Commissioners Street, or Unwin Avenue, why don't they extend the tracks to build a light rail line along Leslie Street and Unwin Avenue leading to a subway tunnel under the eastern gap to the Toronto Islands. We can then replace the ferry boats with LRV's.

Streetcars should be able to ram parked cars in the streetcar lane and the car owner should pay for any damages to the streetcar.

streetcar2.jpg

I vote for the super-subway car, it's just one giant long train that snakes around the entire line, it doesn't stop moving either. The platform will be lined with crash mats for jumping on and off. I'd say 30kmh might do the trick. Wouldn't be so bad since the train never stops and each car won't be very busy due to the insane capacity.

Speaking of "redcars", get rid of all the existing subway trains and replace them with retro Gloucester cars

Streetcars should be able to ram parked cars in the streetcar lane and the car owner should pay for any damages to the streetcar.

There are merits to this. Currently the recovery time after a car cuts off a streetcar is too long. Almost all the time the streetcar is still in a condition to operate and the car has been knocked clear of the tracks. They need to find a way to get an ambulance to the scene and immediately restart operations the moment the ambulance arrives. Designing the front edge of the streetcar to move the vehicle getting hit with as little damage and potential for injury while also protecting the streetcar from damage would be good as well.

At transit shelters: drop a coin (25¢, $1) for 5 minutes of heat in winter. Especially, if the next vehicle is coming in 10 minutes.

Back