Member Bio
Reaction score
Link to article

Toronto mulls bottled-water tax
Several U.S. cities have adopted similar measure

Kelly Grant And Katie Rook
National Post

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A Toronto city councillor is proposing a study exploring the merits of taxing bottled water in a move that would add to the city coffers and benefit the environment.

A similar tax was last week adopted by the city of Chicago, but does not appear to have been considered in Canadian jurisdictions aside from Toronto, which this year received increased power to levy new taxes.

The implementation of such a tax would see Torontonians pay an additional five cents for water bottled in Ontario and 10 cents for water bottled outside of the province.

In a letter city council's executive committee will address on Monday, Mayor David Miller expressed his support for councillor Bill Saundercook's request for a study.

"I am prepared to support [the request] in terms of staff reviewing the issue and determining if measures are appropriate and legal ? and would recommend that the committee endorse the councillor's request," Mr. Miller wrote in a letter to executive members dated Nov. 13.

Mr. Saundercook pitched it as a way for the municipal government to rake in more money while encouraging residents to drink Toronto tap water instead of bottled water.

"It's one of my contributions to solving the [financial] problem here at City Hall," Mr. Saundercook said yesterday. "Unless discussion comes out that it's absolutely crazy to do, then I'd like to pursue it."

On Nov. 13, Chicago city council passed a motion that adds an additional five cents to the cost of a bottle of water.

The tax was included in Chicago's 2008 budget.

Municipalities nationwide are responding to concerns about the environment by endorsing bottled-water bans.

The town of the Blue Mountains, near Collingwood, Ont., last month introduced a ban on bottled water in city buildings.

Mayor Ellen Anderson championed the ban, citing environmental benefits.

"It's not a war on the [bottled water] industry, it's a statement of common sense," she said yesterday. "Every little bit of energy we put towards protecting our environment, our waterways, our trees, our grounds will make a difference for the generations to come.

"You have perfectly good drinking water from your tap. It's safe drinking water, it's regulated by the province. When we continue to buy bottled water we take from a natural resource and we contribute to a huge cost in regards to the processing of garbage. Think about the packaging that it comes in."

The town's ban mirrors the requests of city officials in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Salt Lake City, who have asked their employees stop buying bottled water. But critics of the proposal suggest the bottled-water tax would be costly.

City of Toronto Budget Chief Shelley Carroll warned yesterday that the city does not have the power to directly tax manufacturers, leaving the city to force individual store owners to collect the tax. So far, city staff have recommended against that option for taxing liquor and cigarettes, saying the tax would be too expensive and impractical to administer.

"I anticipate that we're going to get roughly the same answer [on bottled water] that we got on the possibility of City of Toronto Act taxes on liquor and cigarettes," Ms. Carroll said.

She said she planned to ask "serious questions" on Monday about whether a study on taxing bottled water was even necessary. "Am I going to get the same statement that I already have about collecting taxes at the point of sale? Because I've got that report. I already have it," she said.

Representatives of the bottled-water industry and convenience stores that would have to collect the tax bristled at the idea of taxing bottled water.

"I think a bottled-water tax would be unfair and hurtful to Torontonians," said Elizabeth Griswold, the executive director of the Canadian Bottled Water Association, which represents approximately 100 companies in the bottled-water business. "Consumers that choose to buy their bottled water outside of the city limits to avoid this tax will also end up buying their groceries and other food items outside of the city."

"You have perfectly good drinking water from your tap. It's safe drinking water, it's regulated by the province. When we continue to buy bottled water we take from a natural resource and we contribute to a huge cost in regards to the processing of garbage. Think about the packaging that it comes in."

I see politicians have a short memory on tragedy of Walkerton. The people, however, have a more prevailing memory.

You wanna know what I think? Well, you're reading my post, so I will assume you do... I think it's high time we let the politicians know what we really think of them. I think its payback time for the little tax they slapped on us. I say we march down to city hall and dethrone that incompetent David Miller and throw him in a ditch! Who's with me? Who's bloody with me?!

Sounds alright to me. Sure it's just tap water but heck 5 cents won't hurt and would help fund the massive garbage/recycling these bottles produce. Still would rather have !% of the GST for cities though...

Too bad it's not feasible. There's really no way to collect the tax as the City can't get it from the bottlers, and would have to rely on retailers to collect and remit the tax.

I'd love to see the city take a real progressive stance and ban the sale of all bottled water within the city limits. That would send a message and really be spark some discussion and initiate change.

The bottled water industry (think about how stupid that is, btw - an industry built on simply putting water in bottles and moving it from one place to another) would scream bloody murder, but someone needs to shake some sense into the general public.

Forgive the rant...

It drives me nuts when I walk into Loblaws and I see people loading up with literally hundreds and hundreds of bottles of water. The whole thing is absolutely insane. If you're really concerned that Toronto tap isn't good enough, then buy a filter system and do it that way. Don't be responsible for the creation of all those bottles that end up in the landfill half the time and pollute the planet.

Rant over.

A tax that would be applied to water, but not to pop with its grams of sugar and dose of caffeine? The odd thing is that the article appears to suggest that this tax would be put into place in order to encourage people to drink tap water. Are they actually concerned about the all the plastic bottles? If so, then why not tax all plastic bottled products?

While I don't disagree with the idea, you can't exactly access city tap water when strolling along Yonge at night.

I see politicians have a short memory on tragedy of Walkerton. The people, however, have a more prevailing memory.

You wanna know what I think? Well, you're reading my post, so I will assume you do... I think it's high time we let the politicians know what we really think of them. I think its payback time for the little tax they slapped on us. I say we march down to city hall and dethrone that incompetent David Miller and throw him in a ditch! Who's with me? Who's bloody with me?!

Nah.

Anyways, I am doubtful this tax will get any further than the proposal to tax club owners for using sidewalk. It just seems like the cost of implementing the tax would outweigh the benefits, and the budget chief's comments seem to indicate this as well.

The contortions the city is prepared to twist itself into in order to avoid the obvious and inevitable solution to its financial woes--road tolls--are really quite something.

The thing that scares me most about peoples obsession with bottled water is that it's really not regulated all that well. Think about it, all you need is a spring and a label maker. We have no idea what is going into a lot of these water tables, or what coming out of them. I'm sure they are tested but to what degree.

The second thing that freaks me out is the quality of the plastic used. During desert storm in the 90's many solders were ill due to the fact that bottled what sat in the desert sun and started to break down the quality of the plastic, thus contaminating the water. Now think about all those cases of water sitting in some hot truck in the august sun.

I don't think Toronto is at risk of Walkerton. There are way more staff involved in Toronto and there aren't to many surprise contaminants that will be showing up suddenly.

A tax that would be applied to water, but not to pop with its grams of sugar and dose of caffeine? The odd thing is that the article appears to suggest that this tax would be put into place in order to encourage people to drink tap water. Are they actually concerned about the all the plastic bottles? If so, then why not tax all plastic bottled products?

Well, there isn't a system of underground pipes in place to deliver soft drinks directly into your home - yet.

I have no problem with the idea. Bottled water is a luxury and a convenience. It's been proven again and again that most bottled water is no different or better than what comes out of our taps. The plastic bottles are terrible for the environment, and should be discouraged anyway for that reason alone: in the scheme of climate change and dwindling oil supplies it is ridiculous that Canadians, who live in the country with the world's largest supply of fresh water, are buying bottles of "Fiji" water flown from a remote island on the other side of the world.

As mentioned above, bottled water is different from other bottled beverages because it is something we can already get for "free": I don't know about you, but my home does not have any taps that dispense Coca Cola or orange juice.

Back