News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Didn't you just rave about the mayor of Braddock, PA being a reason why America is "the most inventive nation on earth" or something to that effect?

If you love the US so much, why don't we trade social insurance number/social security numbers? I'll be happy to let you come south of the border overnight, so long as you agree your SIN will be mine forever and you can have my SSN. But I will be legally changing the name on your SIN to match mine.

If you think I'm joking, just give me a PM. The offer is on the table. You could be an American for life tomorrow.

It would be an unfair trade for me. I already have a US SSN. What could I possibly do with two?

I don't quite understand the hostility going on here. Obviously there's a lot of problems with the US, but the previous posts where Hipster Duck has praised the US has been very focused on things like innovation and mere cultural and economic power (and certain local aspects like things about LA or NYC). He is one of the more thoughtful posters here, as are you Brandon, so I don't get the issue. I am sure he isn't one to overlook the very wrong things about the US.

There is a lot to admire about the US, and I'll easily admit it. However, I wouldn't give up what's great about Canada either in exchange.

Hostility? Its humor more than anything, although I am desperate to become a Canadian resident. And all I need is a social insurance number for crying out loud. LOL

Anyway, all I've read from Hipster is how hip and hot the US is, and that's what I'm responding to. I don't troll his posts and haven't really read many other topics from him.

But hostility? I'm not being hostile at all, just being playful about the fact that the hipster thinks all the hipster life is in the US. ;)

Ha ha ha.

My scarcasm detector's batteries must be running low.

Anyway, I'm about to apply for Irish citizenship - you know, the once proud "Gaelic Tiger" (which proves that free markets and low taxes only gets you so far before Poland undercuts you). That gets me into the EU. No longer will I have to complain how we don't do things like the Europeans. I can be a European instead!

(If I do, you can have my SIN).

Last edited:
^BTW, the last impression I want to leave is that I'm trolling his posts. I've had a problem with another forum member trolling my posts somewhat, especially in regards to the election and liberal leadership topics. I'd not want to be responsible for seeming like doing the same thing to someone else, so hopefully my desperate plea for wanting an SIN can be taken with humor.

If you want to be Canadian, it's spelled humour.

No, I might have thought there was some strange hostility, but never thought any trolling was involved.

Well I anticipate having a legal permanent immigration plan completed in, well, the forseeable future. But if not and things to insane crazy, I'll gladly take your SIN. As long as you're male (which I assume you are) and in your mid 20's so that your age can match mine.

LOL

If we've met in real life and I happen to have forgotten your forum name, I send my regards. ;) I am bad with names.

Well...back on to the original topic! (probably a bit strange resurecting a thread from months ago)

It's looking like all systems go...May 2010 is my expected arrival.

I've really warmed to the idea of living in St Lawrence Market area. From what I understand, the location seems to have lots of cool coffee shops to hang out in, lots of great food places (bit of a foodie!) and still downtown (which is where I want to live). Any thoughts on this?

Also, is there anywhere else better than craigslist for houseshares? I'm thinking that as i'm coming alone and know a sum total of 2 people in TO (and I haven't seen them in years) housemates would be a good idea to make some friends.

One quick last thing - are there many good guitar stores in TO? I'm planning on buying a new guitar when I come over but my google search hasn't yealded that many good options.

Cheers!

I've really warmed to the idea of living in St Lawrence Market area. From what I understand, the location seems to have lots of cool coffee shops to hang out in, lots of great food places (bit of a foodie!) and still downtown (which is where I want to live). Any thoughts on this?

I live in the SLM area and I love it. It's very livable with a good mix of businesses of all kinds, and very accessible to other areas of the city by walking or transit. The Market itself is a foodie paradise if you cook at home often. Be aware the neighbourhood is not a "bohemian" or trendy hipster 'hood like West Queen West or even the Annex, though.

Also, is there anywhere else better than craigslist for houseshares? I'm thinking that as i'm coming alone and know a sum total of 2 people in TO (and I haven't seen them in years) housemates would be a good idea to make some friends.

If you're looking for house share, students would be the most likely co-sharers, I guess. Maybe see what you can find through online resources for students of the colleges and universities downtown. Ryerson University and George Brown College are both within walking distance of the SLM.

http://www.georgebrown.ca/saffairs/housing/housing.aspx

One quick last thing - are there many good guitar stores in TO? I'm planning on buying a new guitar when I come over but my google search hasn't yealded that many good options.

Steve's Music on Queen West near Spadina is probably the largest and most famous music instrument store downtown, and they sell a lot of guitars (http://www.stevesmusic.com). A bit further west is Capsule Music (http://www.capsulemusic.com). Sadly Songbird along the same strip closed down a year or two back, that was apparently the "real musician" mecca.

Cheers Puke, that is really helpful!

I dont mind that its not hipster-land - i'm really looking for a cool, downtown area where most things are walkable from, where i can get a good cup of coffee, some good food stores and where there are some good pubs/bars. Does SLM hit most of those buttons?

^No.

Better area for you would be the College/Dundas/Queen&Ossington area, roughly the square on the map bordering Bathurst/Harbord/Dufferin/Queen. Much nicer atmosphere than the boring 9-5 office worker crowd in SLM area.

^No.

Better area for you would be the College/Dundas/Queen&Ossington area, roughly the square on the map bordering Bathurst/Harbord/Dufferin/Queen. Much nicer atmosphere than the boring 9-5 office worker crowd in SLM area.

If you are looking for something a bit more adult and civilized, stick with SLM. Otherwise, what urban dreamer said.

Also, The Annex will have lots of options for housemates, since it's so close to the U of T.

Cheers Puke, that is really helpful!

I dont mind that its not hipster-land - i'm really looking for a cool, downtown area where most things are walkable from, where i can get a good cup of coffee, some good food stores and where there are some good pubs/bars. Does SLM hit most of those buttons?

I also live in SLM and I think it DOES hit most of those buttons you want hit - BUT you really need to arrive in Toronto and stay in a hotel or B & B for a few days and then decide for yourself. For me, QW is TOO hip and SLN is just right - you may be different! In any case, welcome to Toronto!

Back