News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

If we are talking about life experiences, maybe we should look at the electorate as well. Back when election laws were set, by 18 years of age people were moving out, soon getting married, and having kids. Now that happens much later. If we demand "life experience" from the candidate, then we should expect the same from the electorate.
I think a great argument can be made for increasing the voting age to 21 or 25.
In conjunction with this, I would be fine with the candidate age increasing from 18 to 25 or 30.

If it were all about emotional age and "life experience", then coddled brats in eternal states of suspended pre-juvenilia like Trump and Ford shouldn't be allowed to vote.

(see flat earth, misogyny and racism for a start)
as a rule of thumb, when you are a lone voice in the wilderness and/or on Urban Toronto, it more likely than not calls for your own introspection rather than the assumption everyone else is wrong.
Denial of Global Warming and the cause is the big one. There's still a sizable minority who diss it, and in the next breath, speak of the need for a greater military presence in the Arctic. Why? "Because the ice is melting".

I must confess, while I have no sympathy for Mr. Ford or his possible plans to overpay to rush more widespread sales, neither do I find a self-serving add from 3 major, foreign-owned breweries that only their monopoly can save us from rampant alcoholism, high beer prices and ecological disaster terribly convincing.
I'm of two minds on this, and full disclosure, I very rarely drink, especially not beer. But I see this not so much as a moral argument or not, but one of Ford's motivation, which is purely to appeal to base instinct: price. And on that, the Beer Store is right. They are 'wholesalers', and as such, understandably it's in their interest to keep the retail price low.

What the real story is here is that the Average Mr and Mrs Swill will pay more due to the added layer of handling and volume per retailer. It's going to be yet one more untied shoelace for Ford to trip on. And he'll go down hard...I like that. Leaves a nice aftertaste with a hint of bitter.

I buy my beer at Loblaws Queens Quay and LCBO, never at the Beer Store.

I hate the Beer Store, with its rundown look, filth, stink, sh#tty selection (vs. LCBO and supermarkets), beggars out front, etc. But if we’re going to close it down, we’d better setup recycling depots to collect the empties.

Last edited:

I hate the Beer Store, with its rundown look, filth, stink, sh#tty selection (vs. LCBO and supermarkets), beggars out front, etc. But if we’re going to close it down, we’d better setup recycling depots to collect the empties.

The Beer Store sucks. Its set up to push beer from the big brewers.

I haven't set foot inside one since most of my local grocery stores started selling beer.

I do have a bunch of empties to return now though. Will have to eventually make a trip.

Good thing the Ford government just slashed funding for Toronto's public health. On the day that measles cases are reported in Toronto, Ford is asked about his cuts to public health in Toronto. He tells reporters public health is "just a bastion of lefties"

Public Health Alert. 2 confirmed cases of measles found in Toronto. Several locations including Pearson & the Zoo may have been exposed. Please read the alert, ensure your vaccinations are up to date, & contact your healthcare provider if you have concerns.

Last edited:

Me too. When i did shop at the Beer Store, i had to check the code dates on the beer cases, they had a lot of old stock sitting in the store, which is gross. For those prices we are paying that beer better be fresh! I haven't run into that problem at the LCBO or the supermarkets.

The Beer Store sucks. Its set up to push beer from the big brewers.

I haven't set foot inside one since most of my local grocery stores started selling beer.

I do have a bunch of empties to return now though. Will have to eventually make a trip.
Whenever a Beer Store closes the surrounding neighbourhood improves. I can’t wait for the one on Gerrard St. near Sherbourne to close. There was a plan to include a new Beer Store in the planned condominium, but the end of the monopoly may kibosh that.

New proposal from Doug Ford government would force senior professors to work for no salary.

Under regulations proposed in the budget bill, the Minister of Training, Colleges and Universities would be given unprecedented power to unilaterally cut to zero the salary of anyone employed at a postsecondary institution who is also drawing a pension.

But in order to do so, the ministry would likely have to override collective agreements and essentially force professors to work for no money, except for the pension to which they’re already entitled. According to federal law, anyone with a pension is required to take it by the age of 71.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...ord-government-would-force-senior-professors/

A lot of the government’s proposed cuts are transparently partisan and even personally vindictive; however, generally I think they are philosophical congruent.

The general idea is be specifically draconian so that you can preserve the meat and potatoes of government spending programs without raising taxes and eventually balancing the budget. I don’t really know what the budget deficit is because of all the jockeying for position but if it’s around 12 billion keep in mind that’s 240 50 million dollar program funding cut announcements.

A lot of the government’s proposed cuts are transparently partisan and even personally vindictive; however, generally I think they are philosophical congruent.

The general idea is be specifically draconian so that you can preserve the meat and potatoes of government spending programs without raising taxes and eventually balancing the budget. I don’t really know what the budget deficit is because of all the jockeying for position but if it’s around 12 billion keep in mind that’s 240 50 million dollar program funding cut announcements.

While the stated deficit for this budgetary is 11.7B, it is important to say that that is unquestionably overstated. (too high, but overstated).

At close out that number will be lower, and that's before addressing the issue of pension surpluses currently booked at zero (wholly unreasonable).

The philosophical objection to raising taxes in the province w/the lowest per capita revenues is equally without merit.

I wish we could drop this feast and famine cycle of Ontario governments. The Liberals win and bring in hugely expensive programs, such as free tuition, childcare and healthcare expansions, but never put in place the means to pay for it outside of deficit spending. Then the PCs win and rip out all those new Liberal programs and more, in the pursuit of cutting the deficit spending.

What Ontario needs is a rule that regardless of the party then in charge, any new program outside of multi-year capital projects must be funded out of revenues, not debt. If you want to expand childcare, offer free tuition, affordable housing, etc. you must either raise taxes or find the revenue from other programs. And I’d be perfectly fine with a tax hike if it breaks this cycle.

Basically the dept of finance needs to be an independent government agency as opposed to a political one.

Last edited:
Looks like the Ford government forgot to tell the city about this cut...

The Provincial Government has now informed the City of Toronto of a new and additional $20 million cut to Toronto Public Health effective next year (2020-2021). This cut is a so-called “10% administrative efficient cut”.

Back