News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Hilarious...

Sales of electric vehicles in Ontario plunged 55 per cent in the first half of 2019, reports CP. The Ford government's climate change plan, which was slammed by the auditor general, relied in part on a projected 3000 per cent increase in electric vehicles by 2030.

The Ontario Liberal party is a shell of its former self, has no official leader and is still polling better than the PC's.

TBH, this happens all the time for all parties inbetween leaders- the ideal party is imagined, not a real one with a leader and actual policies.

It's like the polls comparing Trump vs the "Democratic candidate" (who is perfect until they get selected)

Ontario is asking the federal government to double the number of economic immigrants to the province in order to deal with a skilled labour shortage.

Economic development minister Vic Fedeli says an expansion of the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program would respond to the labour market needs of the province’s employers.

Fedeli made the request in a letter to Marco Mendicino, the new federal minister of immigration, refugees and citizenship.

In the letter, Fedeli asks that the number of immigrants accepted under the program be increased from about 7,000 this year to 13,300 in two years.
Fedeli says Ontario requested an additional 1,000 nominations this year, but only received 50.

He says the program is already over-subscribed and demand is far outweighing Ontario’s annual nominations.

The union that represents public high school teachers in Ontario says a one-day strike in 10 boards will proceed on Wednesday now that contract talks between the union and province have broken off.

Talks broke off on Monday, after just one day of negotiating, the Ontario Secondary School Teachers' Federation (OSSTF) has confirmed.

The union and province were scheduled to talk on Tuesday as well, but the mediator says both sides are too far apart to resume negotiations.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...tario-government-one-day-job-action-1.5398536

I don't get why they won't give them pay rises in line with inflation, at a minimum.

I work for a small business and my pay has something like tripled in the last 15 years, doing the same work, never mind kept pace with inflation. I'm eating way better food now than I was in '05.

So why is the government being so cheap?

I don't get why they won't give them pay rises in line with inflation, at a minimum.

I work for a small business and my pay has something like tripled in the last 15 years, doing the same work, never mind kept pace with inflation. I'm eating way better food now than I was in '05.

So why is the government being so cheap?

I suspect it is because they believe in their hearts that teachers (and all unionized workers) are currently overpaid, so refusing to allow cost-of-living increases merely correct the overpayment and bring them down to their proper living standard.

I suspect it is because they believe in their hearts that teachers (and all unionized workers) are currently overpaid, so refusing to allow cost-of-living increases merely correct the overpayment and bring them down to their proper living standard.

I don't know about overpaid, but the teachers I know are doing alright (by which I mean very well). Wish I could say the same about my sister who is an ECE. That's poverty pay.

I don't think anyone's pay should rise slower than inflation. That's just mean. And cheap.

I don't know about overpaid, but the teachers I know are doing alright (by which I mean very well). Wish I could say the same about my sister who is an ECE. That's poverty pay.

I don't think anyone's pay should rise slower than inflation. That's just mean. And cheap.
So your saying that nobody is overpaid?

So your saying that nobody is overpaid?

Yes the "trained seals" at Queens Park, who got a hefty pay raise and housing allowances.

Let's not start pissing on the unions and the wonderful things they have achieved for the working men(women), regardless if they belonged to one or not.

Educating children and young adults isn't an easy job and not all educators make over 80 thousand dollars per year, we all know Stephen Lecce is lying and fluffing the truth a lot.

Last edited:
Doug Ford won’t answer your calls anymore. He won’t even answer questions in the legislature

See link.

A premier is perhaps all-powerful, but he doesn’t just give orders. He also takes questions.

That’s part of his job description. In our democracy it’s what makes our leaders accountable to the people — not just on election days, but every day in between.

Unless you’re Doug Ford.

Unlike any premier before him, Ford has taken to not taking questions in the legislature posed by the Official Opposition. Most days, he provides answers only to a higher authority, the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario — whose obedient backbench MPPs ask of him but also answer to him.

Which means that Ford is now accountable only to himself.

It didn’t used to be this way. It is a cornerstone of parliamentary democracy in Ontario that the leader of Her Majesty’s government faces off against the leader of Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition for the daily question period.

It is rarely a satisfying spectacle — there is heckling and hissing and squabbling — but it remains a powerful symbol of accountability for the all-powerful. It keeps a premier grounded, it reminds the government that the governed are not compelled merely to obey but entitled also to ask why.

It is not enough to proclaim yourself a populist. Inviting people to call your mobile phone is not a legitimate substitute for legislative accountability.

Never mind that Ford soon changed his number, complaining that he grew weary of hostile questions from the public. Forget, for a moment, the public relations gimmick of pretending to humanize a premier by purporting to be at the beck and call (or text) of 13.7 million people in the country’s most-populous province.

Ford never was a call away. Now he is harder to reach and more remote than ever.

It’s not just that he won’t take your calls. He avoids questions from any MPP unless his staff vet them in advance.

It is a far cry from the outwardly friendly face he put forward upon winning election 18 months ago, when Ford immodestly proclaimed himself leader of Ontario’s “First Government For the People.” Perhaps he imagined himself closer to the people than any premier before him, but history shows that honeymoons never last.

And the record shows that past premiers who fell in the polls always rose to their feet and faced their questioners in the legislature: Bill Davis, David Peterson, Mike Harris, Kathleen Wynne — they all had their fleeting honeymoons, but they never shielded themselves from subsequent scrutiny, almost always taking the leadoff questions from the opposition leader.

It’s not that Ford is running for cover. He merely sits in his seat, rising only to redirect almost all opposition questions to a cabinet minister who provides cover for him.

Teachers’ strike? Transit reversals? Autism troubles? Patronage scandals?

The premier almost always refuses to answer. On rare occasions, if poked or provoked, prodded or piqued, Ford deigns to respond personally.

But it is the exception that proves the rule: stonewalling and squirming in his seat are his first line of defence.

Only when reassured that the question period rotation has reverted to friendly queries from his fellow Tories will Ford cheerfully engage. With 73 Progressive Conservatives (including the speaker) in the 124-seat legislature, 40 New Democrats, only five Liberals (now lacking official party status) and a single Green MPP, the majority Tories get to ask a disproportionate share of pretend questions of the premier.

Ford relishes a softball. As the scripted question is being asked by a well-rehearsed PC backbencher, the premier sneaks a peak at the cheat sheet prepared by his staff, refreshes his memory, and regurgitates the pre-arranged reply.

He imagines it a dialogue of the deft — two Tories talking to each other in public on the public dime. But when a New Democrat takes the floor, Ford becomes deaf to any dialogue with the opposition, for whom question period was first conceived.

At his early news conferences, Ford refused to take questions unless reporters lined up obediently. He ended the encounters by basking in the conspicuous applause of his paid PC staff, until journalists shamed him into curtailing the bizarre theatrics.

The applause and cheers followed him to the legislature during his first year in power, with backbench MPPs and cabinet ministers leaping to their feet a dozen times a day for standing ovations that took the breath — and their dignity — away. Only when Speaker Ted Arnott penned a strong public critique about “contrived standing ovations” did Ford’s Tories relent.

Earlier this year, the Tories also tried ignoring all opposition questions by pivoting — passive aggressively — to other topics. When New Democrats asked about problems with ambulance services threatening the health of constituents, the Tories replied by talking up their fizzled “buck-a-beer” policy.

Booed in his public appearances outside the legislature, falling in the polls, the premier has fallen silent — unless shown fealty by his fellow Tories. Ignoring opposition questions is a corruption of the legislature and a disruption of democracy.

But it is more than that. By replacing all those standing ovations with his sitting evasions, Ford is disrespecting the people of Ontario.

Back