News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Del Duca's Liberals make 'campaign' promise to nix the 413 if elected and spend the money instead on education and childcare.

Del Duca's Liberals make 'campaign' promise to nix the 413 if elected and spend the money instead on education and childcare.

A good idea really. If nothing else there should be a focus on Metrolinx not more roadways. At some point there will be no room left for highways at which point there will be a need for better transit services in the province. be it VIA Rail or Metrolinx.

I wonder though... how deep can they go if they wanted to build the 413 underground?

As I said, either end of the *street*. So, likely endorsed by said "nosy neighbours"--once they get a hint of "activists" coming, whether anti-poverty or anti-lockdown, they set up the fences...

With all the hatred towards politicians, it only makes sense. Do you really want all those whackadoodles on your front lawn every day screaming about everything from how the premier has an extra toe to how the premier is a lizard that eats kittens?

Everyone deserves their privacy and nobody deserves to have to put up with that.

A good idea really. If nothing else there should be a focus on Metrolinx not more roadways. At some point there will be no room left for highways at which point there will be a need for better transit services in the province. be it VIA Rail or Metrolinx.

I wonder though... how deep can they go if they wanted to build the 413 underground?
Why do you think anyone is intending (or even contemplating) putting the 413 underground? Let's talk about the projects that are likely to occur in the next few years and not start a 'fantasy highway' discussion.

Why do you think anyone is intending (or even contemplating) putting the 413 underground? Let's talk about the projects that are likely to occur in the next few years and not start a 'fantasy highway' discussion.

I know they are not, I was merely thinking out loud along the lines of the big dig in Boston. It would allow life to continue as normal above ground while routing the highway underground.

As a reminder, I drove by the Premier's house on Tettenhall today, and at either end of the street are a set of metal barricades by the side of the road--presumably to be deployed whenever nuisance protestors arrive...

And there's always a couple of black SUV's sitting on the street idling perpetually...

Call for Human Rights Inquiry Into Systemic Discrimination Against the Elderly in Ontario Hospitals and Long-Term Care

From link.

The Ontario Health Coalition, the Advocacy Centre for the Elderly & CUPE/OCHU are calling on the Ontario Human Rights Commissioner to conduct a formal Inquiry into the human rights discrimination against the elderly in access to and levels of care in hospitals and long-term care.

Elderly people are bearing the brunt of Ontario’s cuts to beds, staff and resources in hospital and long-term care. As a result, elderly Ontarians are denied access to care and when it is provided, care is woefully inadequate. Covid-19 has highlighted the terrible and disproportionate impact that this rationing has on older members of our society. Government and institutional policy has resulted in discrimination in the availability of health care based on age. Everyone, regardless of age, has a fundamental right to access the health care system for the services that they require. We call upon the Ontario Human Rights Commissioner to conduct an inquiry into discrimination against the elderly in accessing these vital healthcare services and we call upon the Government of Ontario to take immediate action.
Take action and call for an end to human rights violations against the elderly in Ontario long-term care homes and hospitals by sending an email to the Ontario Human Rights Commissioner, Premier Doug Ford & your local MPP here.

Click here for a link to the letter to the Ontario Human Rights Commissioner.

Just buy them some Teslas! Really ideal vehicles for idling in a location for long periods of time like police.

I don't begrudge politicians security. Frankly, I don't think it is appropriate to protest at a residence.

When people were protesting at John Torys condo I was surprised at how the situation evolved. Freedom of speech is one thing but terrorizing people because you don't like what is being said is another.

Just buy them some Teslas! Really ideal vehicles for idling in a location for long periods of time like police.

I don't begrudge politicians security. Frankly, I don't think it is appropriate to protest at a residence.
I agree. Home should be off limits. So should idling of non electric vehicles.

The most notable 'good news' in the budget I've seen is this: The government is also looking to expand the quantity and quality of the Greenbelt for future generations. This includes expanding conservation space by exploring the potential to support a large near-urban provincial park at East Humber Headwaters in King Township.

I will write an email in support of that!

More to come as I get into the nitty gritty.

From this budget, some 5 months later..........

This would support the restoration of the over 500-acre vacant site to its natural state.

Pfft, better than a kick in the head, but its a mere 500 acres...........That's only 1.25x High Park.

To make a real difference, a much larger park should be planned.

Ok, I've end to ended the Provincial budget and can do nothing but express my deep disappointment.

I consider it a near complete fail.,

The deficit is high.

Virtually no new commitments were made.

Those that were, are largely back-end loaded, creating a future fiscal issue and a slow delivery.

There was no announced increase for those on Social Assistance, not even an increase in penalty-free earnings, (an incentive to work, and currently quite paltry).

There's more for healthcare, but remarkably little to deliver services to those that need them and can't afford them (low income dental care as example); no move to fulfill A Conservative platform commitment from
the last election to increase the reimbursement rate for medical devices (wheelchairs, hearing aids etc.) to 80% from 75% nor to expand the coverage by removing caps that limit reimbursement (hearing aids, sleep apnea machines ) etc.

There's no announced minimum wage increase; no commitment to make the personal support worker pay enhancement permanent............

The funding for new LTC beds includes for-profit care.

The bulk of new personal transfers are :

a) Temporary

b) in the form of Tax Credits that provide insufficient assistance to those in the greatest need.

For the size of deficit we're running we should be able to do far better.

It has also set aside $2.6 billion to build 30,000 new long term care beds over the next four years.

That means toward for-profit, private-owned LTC. Should be publicly-owned and run LTC. Don't trust privately-run anything these days.

Back