News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

If I was graduating high school, I would wait till in-person classes resumed before applying to post-secondary.
That much money to do a zoom class isn't value for the money in my mind.
Yes, several graduates from summer 2020 I know deferred their acceptance to Sept 2021. Our kids are hopeful that in class learning will be on for Sept.
My post-secondary experience would have been very different if I had had youtube or some of these learning services available to plug gaps.
I am grateful I went to university in 1991-1995 before the modern-day internet, web search and youtube. I had a computer in my room, but standalone for essays and games. If you wanted to search the internet you had to go to the library pc lab to use their text-only online tools. It sounds archaic, but I remember being in the depths of research libraries, digging through dusty books, scanning their blogographies for other dusty books, and then off to the House of Commons library (I worked on the Hill) for more, and then deep into physical reports in government department records. My attention span and doggedness were far better than they are now where I just click here and there.

Last edited:

Admittedly knowing absolutely nothing about university governance, but I'm wondering why they couldn't find a way to merge midwifery into their School of Medicine, seeing as it is a regulated health discipline.

It seems other smaller universities, particularly in the north, are making pains the confirm that they are financially fine. it does seem to sound like a financial management issue.
Yes, several graduates from summer 2020 I know deferred their acceptance to Sept 2021. Our kids are hopeful that in class learning will be on for Sept.

I am grateful I went to university in 1991-1995 before the modern-day internet, web search and youtube. I had a computer in my room, but standalone for essays and games. If you wanted to search the internet you had to go to the library pc lab to use their text-only online tools. It sounds archaic, but I remember being in the depths of research libraries, digging through dusty books, scanning their blogographies for other dusty books, and then off to the House of Commons library (I worked on the Hill) for more, and then deep into physical reports in government department records. My attention span and doggedness were far better than they are now where I just click here and there.
Imagine us poor Neanderthals who had to do our research solely from, gasp, books. Microfiche was this weird wonderous thing.

The Library of Parliament must have been cool.

Admittedly knowing absolutely nothing about university governance, but I'm wondering why they couldn't find a way to merge midwifery into their School of Medicine, seeing as it is a regulated health discipline.

It seems other smaller universities, particularly in the north, are making pains the confirm that they are financially fine. it does seem to sound like a financial management issue.

Imagine us poor Neanderthals who had to do our research solely from, gasp, books. Microfiche was this weird wonderous thing.

The Library of Parliament must have been cool.

There's no question some poor financial choices were made at Laurentian.

That's putting it charitably.

But the appropriate recourse is to fire the senior staff and board who made said choices, not to de-fund a vast array of programs rather incoherently.

As a side note, I personally think it doesn't make sense to have as many small universities as we do in Ontario.

I'm not suggesting consolidating campuses.............but rather wondering whether it would make more sense to have a single, cohesive governance structure and brand for several of the smaller universities in the north, in particular.

ie. Laurentian, Nippissing, and Algoma could operate as the University of Northern Ontario or some such thing.

I'm not sure it would make sense to cluster them with Lakehead given the vast distance.

I'd also add that I'm sure some program trimming could be done; but there are some peculiar choices in these cuts, such as the ecology programs that were central to re-greening Sudbury, and have a global expertise
in rehabbing areas effected by mining.

Last edited:
My dream was to do research in the Library. I had a tour once. The microfiche were indeed amazing 😍
I’m a huge history buff, and I remember somehow finding the microfiche English language newspaper that Imperial Japan ran during WW2. Fascinating reading of propaganda of the day.

The front page of the Toronto Sun had a big headline placing some blame on Doug for the botched vaccine rollout.

The front page of the Toronto Sun had a big headline placing some blame on Doug for the botched vaccine rollout.

He is very much to blame. Hell he lets lobbyists influence public health decisions.

Screenshot_20210415-214748_Twitter.jpg

Back to Universities in Northern Ontario...............in one of the strangest moves...............ever.....

The gov't suddenly introduced legislation yesterday to make the University campus in Hearst (currently affiliated with Laurentian) its own school.

AND

To sever the Northern Ontario School of Medicine from Lakehead and Laurentian as some kind of free-standing medical school.

They also did this..........without talking to either of Laurentian or Lakehead................both of whom are quite unimpressed.

This is just bizarre.

Hearst is tiny, and would have a substantial administrative burden being on its own.

NOSM was built to serve the North's Universities and provide for a medical school in that region. The Universities benefit branding-wise from having a medical school, as well as means to bring some
research into clinical settings more easily; while the NOSM benefits from the Universities administration and marketing services, the amenities on campuses, and links to researchers.

Back to Universities in Northern Ontario...............in one of the strangest moves...............ever.....

The gov't suddenly introduced legislation yesterday to make the University campus in Hearst (currently affiliated with Laurentian) its own school.

AND

To sever the Northern Ontario School of Medicine from Lakehead and Laurentian as some kind of free-standing medical school.

They also did this..........without talking to either of Laurentian or Lakehead................both of whom are quite unimpressed.

This is just bizarre.

Hearst is tiny, and would have a substantial administrative burden being on its own.

NOSM was built to serve the North's Universities and provide for a medical school in that region. The Universities benefit branding-wise from having a medical school, as well as means to bring some
research into clinical settings more easily; while the NOSM benefits from the Universities administration and marketing services, the amenities on campuses, and links to researchers.
They just don't want to be seen as enacting another "health care cut" during a pandemic. I'm sure they don't care if it withers and dies on its own, just that they avoid the flak.

Back