News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

So his minister of education could have told him about "remote education" or "the Zoom thing"

Guess being bilingual is not his thing either.
He wasn’t around at Queen’s Park. He could have logged into Rosetta Stone or something.

So his minister of education could have told him about "remote education" or "the Zoom thing"

Guess being bilingual is not his thing either.
Was he really at French class, or did he skip that too?

You know, its not so often that the Ford government does something praise-worthy...........but this looks pretty good.

The gov't is set to propose legislation which would:

a) Remove the requirement for Canadian Experience to be licensed or permitted to work in any number of jobs. You would still have to demonstrate appropriate credentials
and language proficiency.

b) Remove required duplication of language proficiency tests (where you have to pass them at multiple points (immigration, student, licensing).
* (I'm ok with requiring a narrow, scoped proficiency test for a profession such that someone has the vocabulary specific to their discipline)

But overall this is good.

They also appear poised to regulate the gig economy in some fashion (uber/door dash etc.)

Legislation may be pending to include many of these folks under the Employment Standards Act.

To be clear, neither proposal has even been introduced in the legislature, let alone passed or proclaimed, and we have a provincial election set for June next year which will see the legislature shuttered by late April at the latest.

No credit earned until such measures pass, and are enacted in law.

Ohio is having an 'Ontario moment":

Ohio unveiled its new license plate Thursday, depicting the Wright Flyer as a symbol of the state's place in aviation history. The only problem: The banner is attached to the wrong end of the plane.

On the new license plate, called "Sunrise in Ohio," a banner that reads "Birthplace of Aviation" flies in the sky as if attached to the plane's smaller "elevators." But that's actually the front of the Wright brothers' history-making plane. In flight, the pilot faces the smaller elevators, meaning the back of the plane is near the propellers. To be accurate, the banner should be on the opposite side of the plane.

See: https://ca.news.yahoo.com/oops-ohio-makes-mistake-license-114921921.html

You know, its not so often that the Ford government does something praise-worthy...........but this looks pretty good.

The gov't is set to propose legislation which would:

a) Remove the requirement for Canadian Experience to be licensed or permitted to work in any number of jobs. You would still have to demonstrate appropriate credentials
and language proficiency.

b) Remove required duplication of language proficiency tests (where you have to pass them at multiple points (immigration, student, licensing).
* (I'm ok with requiring a narrow, scoped proficiency test for a profession such that someone has the vocabulary specific to their discipline)

But overall this is good.

They also appear poised to regulate the gig economy in some fashion (uber/door dash etc.)

Legislation may be pending to include many of these folks under the Employment Standards Act.

To be clear, neither proposal has even been introduced in the legislature, let alone passed or proclaimed, and we have a provincial election set for June next year which will see the legislature shuttered by late April at the latest.

No credit earned until such measures pass, and are enacted in law.
When I was doing background investigations for gaming registration (mostly table dealers, which is typical entry point), I can't recall the number of applicants who had specialized degrees from other lands. Provided immigrants who hold professional degrees/trade qualifications meet Ontario standards in their skill and possess a reasonable language proficiency, we could surely put their knowledge to better use.

The Ministry of Labour is just churning out pro-employee/labour bills (at least in press release form) these last two weeks.

Now they're mooting a 'right to disconnect' bill; this would be similar to German legislation that limits the ability of businesses to phone/email/text staff after normal employment hours, emergencies excepted.

The above is paywalled for now, but Outline works.

This follows a long raft of proposals, including:

- Regulating the Gig economy and extending the rights of the Employment Standards Act to cover such workers.

- Removing the 'Canadian Experience' barrier faced by many skilled workers.

- The right to washroom access for truckers/delivery staff at the businesses they serve.

- A move to regulate unscrupulous Temp Agencies

And there are 1 or 2 more I'm forgetting.

I remain skeptical about whether all of these will be passed before the legislature dissolves in spring.....still, nice to see.

Last edited:
The Ministry of Labour is just churning out pro-employee/labour bills (at least in press release form) these last two weeks.

Now they're mooting a 'right to disconnect' bill; this would be similar to German legislation that limits the ability of businesses to phone/email/text staff after normal employment hours, emergencies excepted.

The above is paywalled for now, but Outline works.

This follows a long raft of proposals, including:

- Regulating the Gig economy and extending the rights of the Employment Standards Act to cover such workers.

- Removing the 'Canadian Experience' barrier faced by many skilled workers.

- The right to washroom access for truckers/delivery staff at the businesses they serve.

- A move to regulate unscrupulous Temp Agencies

And there are a 1 or 2 more I'm forgetting.

I remain skeptical about whether all of these will be passed before the legislature dissolves in spring.....still, nice to see.

Legislation is meaningless if there is lax enforcement - and this government in particularly had been particularly lacking in the latter.

AoD

Legislation is meaningless if there is lax enforcement - and this government in particularly had been particularly lacking in the latter.

AoD

I don't disagree.

But getting legislation passed is a first step, if it happens, enabling enforcement.

Even the Wynne gov't had a bad habit of passing laws, then failing to proclaim the underlying regulations...........

Back