News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Even if you disagree with CUPE and unions in general, this use of the Notwithstanding Clause to violate the Constitution is dangerous. One day Ford passes a law against CUPE, maybe tomorrow it's against nurses, environmental regs or whatever rights you hold dear.

Even if you disagree with CUPE and unions in general, this use of the Notwithstanding Clause to violate the Constitution is dangerous. One day Ford passes a law against CUPE, maybe tomorrow it's against nurses, environmental regs or whatever rights you hold dear.

I was watching Lecce on CP24 this morning and they are playing this off as being fair and fiscally responsible.

They are doing more harm than good by imposing contracts because realistically, people in these professions be them teachers, support workers or nurses will leave for greener pastures. At some point, limiting wage increases will only force people out of the industry to places like the US.

Does Ford really think that by limiting wage increases and stifling collective bargaining rights he will retain staff?

This is exactly why healthcare workers are fleeing. They can go elsewhere and make alot more money with less political interference.

I was watching Lecce on CP24 this morning and they are playing this off as being fair and fiscally responsible.
Meanwhile I have to wonder how giving a $ billion back to automobile license plate holders was fiscally responsible. That money could have gone to health care, for example.

Meanwhile I have to wonder how giving a $ billion back to automobile license plate holders was fiscally responsible. That money could have gone to health care, for example.
Not much to wonder at! It was stupid, and political, action similar to cutting the GST rather than allocating a 1% share of it to municipalities.

Ford government willing to return to bargaining with CUPE should the mediator request it, sources say​

From link.

As it stands now, even with legislation in place by the end of the week, CUPE says its 55,000 workers will walk off the job in protest on Friday.

The Ontario government is willing to return to the bargaining table Tuesday with CUPE should the mediator request it — as legislation meant to avert a strike and impose contracts on school support staff is being debated at Queen’s Park, sources tell the Star.

Although Education Minister Stephen Lecce was cool to the idea on Monday after tabling his Keeping Students in Class Act, sources say if CUPE were to withdraw its strike notice and come with a “reasonable offer” government negotiators will listen.

The government presented its final offer to CUPE on Sunday afternoon and also asked the union not to go ahead with job action planned to start on Friday.

As it stands now, even with legislation in place by the end of the week, CUPE says its 55,000 workers will walk off the job in protest on Friday, with the union covering the $220 million-plus in daily fines for what will be unsanctioned job action.

Mediated talks were already scheduled Tuesday through Thursday and Laura Walton, president of CUPE’s Ontario School Boards Council of Unions said Monday that her team would put forward a revised offer, especially around wages.

“We understand they may bring forth an offer through mediator this afternoon,” said a source close to the talks.

Ford government willing to return to bargaining with CUPE should the mediator request it, sources say​

From link.
I wonder if the notion of a province wide general strike is finally dawning on the Premier. By threatening to use the NWC against some of the lowest paid provincial employees, Ford has basically told the teachers and nurses that the government will not negotiate in good faith, so there's no point in not going to war.

The problem is no one gave thought as to its use. There isn't an expected acceptable use case for it, it's a cludge.
Otherwise they would have made it more specific.
Trudeau’s dad should have never included a NWC. Quebec never agreed to sign the constitution anyway, so it’s not like we needed to keep the French happy.

Trudeau’s dad should have never included a NWC. Quebec never agreed to sign the constitution anyway, so it’s not like we needed to keep the French happy.
Most of the push for Section 33, to limit the power of the courts and preserve provincial sovereignty, came from the west. It was a last minute compromise in the so-called 'kitchen accord' (or, if you take Quebec's position, the 'night of the long knives'). Without the compromise, most doubt we would have been able to repatriate our Constitution.

Without the compromise, most doubt we would have been able to repatriate our Constitution.
Better to have delayed and get it right. The country ran more or less fine before under the BNA Act. We didn’t need to rush it. What’s the point in having a Constitution if any government can ignore it?

Better to have delayed and get it right. The country ran more or less fine before under the BNA Act. We didn’t need to rush it. What’s the point in having a Constitution if any government can ignore it?
I suppose. If nothing else, it was part of PET's platform, and we apparently keep saying we want them to stick to them. Given our luck with Meech Lake and Charlottetown, there's a good chance delayed would have turned into never. I started law enforcement pre-Charter and you're correct that it wasn't the wild, wild west, but it was a much different world in terms of the power of the State as it impacted on individuals.

I think 'governments ignoring the Constitution' is a bit of an overstatement. Without minimizing it, Section 33 only allows the suspension of certain sections of the Charter which, itself, is only part of the Constitution.

Last edited:
How this buffoon won in June is beyond me.

Lousy choices and low voter turnout

We really must thank the Liberals yet again for nominating such an utterly hapless, hopeless, helpless sack of protoplasam for their party 'leader' in the last election.

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.

We really must thank the Liberals yet again for nominating such an utterly hapless, hopeless, helpless sack of protoplasam for their party 'leader' in the last election.

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.
Excellent point. However I don’t believe any of the liberal leadership candidates were of any quality.

Back