News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Agreed, in a normal world, the Minister and Premier should have to resign over this. They have completely failed everyone in this Province.

I hope they are ready for the absolute fury of their constituents over this issue. They legislated the contract to block the strike, but there is still a strike. Their phones are going to be ringing off the hook.

Agreed, in a normal world, the Minister and Premier should have to resign over this. They have completely failed everyone in this Province.

I hope they are ready for the absolute fury of their constituents over this issue. They legislated the contract to block the strike, but there is still a strike. Their phones are going to be ringing off the hook.
If the strike continues it will be interesting if there is a judge in the province willing to impose the $4,000 a day fines against these employees.

If it's an illegal strike why isn't the OPP enforcing the law?

If the strike continues it will be interesting if there is a judge in the province willing to impose the $4,000 a day fines against these employees.

Because making those who are barely keeping their heads above water destitute would look so good. I want to see them try doing it.

AoD

I don't know if they've even bothered to look at the optics of fining $4000 a day to a single mom who might likely only be making $40,000 a year, as more than ⅔ of CUPE are women. One of my daughter's classmates has a CUPE school worker parent who's currently taking care of her family, as her husband is terminally ill. How's that gonna look?

The second Ford calls in the OPP to take batons to a majority women union, he's absolute toast.

The second Ford calls in the OPP to take batons to a majority women union, he's absolute toast.

Sending a bunch earning what, close to 100K to bust someone striking and trying to get more than 40K avg. is going to be lit. I almost want to see this farce for historical value alone.

AoD

Last edited:
I really can't see the OPP being forced to act as Doug's union-busting goons.

I really can't see the OPP being forced to act as Doug's union-busting goons.
Me neither, but it goes to show the ineptitude of the government here. To call something illegal but then have no means to enforce the presumed violation of the law, is akin to saying it's not illegal.

A law without teeth is not a law. And forget about the $4,000 a day fines. No judge in the province is going to enforce that. Using the Constitution to remove enshrined labour rights is a way too hot potato for the provincial courts. Instead the OSCJ will quickly send it up to the SCC to consider.... for a year before anything happens.

If your ignorance of whom is striking, i.e. it's not teachers, is indicative of general opinion then I think the issue is one of a misinformed public rather than unreasonable demands by those who are striking.

How did you manage to watch the TV morning shows and still remain clueless as to who is striking?

Don't you work in the financial sector where accuracy and understanding before acting is paramount?

Please have the basic facts straight before touching my or anyone's money. Sheesh.
I know who is striking because I know teachers. I wrote what was convenient for commenting at the time. This place isn't my job. Is it yours?

The schools didn't choose to shut down because the strike, they had no choice.

Unfortunately, if support staff walk out you can't safely operate the schools.

Honestly, it is not the unions fault for walking out. If someone forced a contract on you that keeps you at or marginally above the poverty line would you stay?

If it was me and my employer forced me to work at near poverty levels I'd tell them where to go and what to do with themselves.

Teachers and other workers across Ontario deserve better.

I have opinions but I can't say them here without getting banned or worse..
I know it's impossible to physically open schools, though there's tested online options now and that's one thing at least some parents want. I know a teacher in Peel Region who is doing the "asynchronous" independent learning today, and some parents are upset they aren't going to full online classes. The Peel board has told the teachers this morning that they will continue with the asynchronous on Monday, though what happens after that is still not decided. He says some teachers, though not all, will refuse to do online classes as it's circumventing the picket line. It will be interesting to see how that plays out if they push for it.

Back