News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

FOI finds no evidence that Mark Saunders provided any tangible special advice.
What is surprising is that anyone even expected anything useful from him. He was a less than stellar police chief so why he was appointed (and paid) to advise on OP is 'puzzling" - I guess he was not a developer so other ways had to be found to get him up to the trough..

They could have at least pulled a "Mike Ehrmantraut working as security consultant for Madrigal Automotive" scam, a la Better Call Saul. This government needs to watch and learn from better crime shows.

FOI finds no evidence that Mark Saunders provided any tangible special advice.

To be fair, it's probably a good thing that he didn't.

AoD

Is taking payment for a job that you don't perform any services for not fraud?
What was his job though?

According to the article, he had no mandate or requirement to produce reports, but led weekly meetings.
The article also claims he was contracted for 170k and only received 70k of that.

Is taking government funds and giving it to a friend not embezzlement?
Criminally, it can be a lot of things, if proven, but if you can find the offence of "embezzlement" in Canadian law, I'll give you a lollypop. That was my point.

Is taking payment for a job that you don't perform any services for not fraud?
It depends. What were the terms of the performance contract? What he mandated to produce a report? What timeline? Was the contract terminated by either party before its natural expiry date and before any stated duties had a chance to be performed? The devil is always in the details. If you own a business and hire an absolute slug of an employee, you don't get to charge him criminally.

As a follow on to @lenaitch 's excellent post, I found this summary on a law firm's site, that I liked:

1696718985439.png

They also have a list of examples:

1696719028220.png

Credit for the above: https://www.criminallawyervancouver...cial-crimes/theft-from-employer-embezzlement/

Well the Greenbelt Scandal is the gift that keeps on giving for the Premier.........

The RCMP have formally opened a criminal investigation.

Of course, the above may not lead to any charges; and/or the investigation may not make it as far the Premier himself; but its not the type of attention a sitting Premier normally desires.

Last edited:

Back