News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

From: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...urt-youth-led-climate-case-decision-1.7354795

Ontario's top court orders new hearing in youth climate case​

Young people arguing Ontario's weakened emissions target violates their Charter rights​

canadian-press-logo.jpg

Jordan Olmstead · The Canadian Press · Posted: Oct 17, 2024 12:22 PM EDT | Last Updated: 40 minutes ago

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-government-rebate-cheques-election-1.7354672

"Crombie vowed the Liberals will cut taxes for middle class families and hinted more details would be coming soon." Thank you, Ms. Crombie, now I know I won't vote Liberal. The last thing we need is a tax cut.

Broadly, I agree. I have, in fact, advocated for raising the PST/HST 2 points, which would be enough to balance the budget immediately and have a bit left over for program enhancement, or some mixture of the two.

That said, I would entertain three ideas on the tax file broadly, that could involve targeted reductions.

1) General simplification of taxes, fewer deductions/credits, and raising the basic exemption as a direct trade-off. Any windfall for upper middle income or wealthy Ontarians should be offset in one fashion or another.

2) I strongly favour a significant increase in the minimum wage, and would be willing to entertain a modest tax reduction targeted at small business in Ontario, as well as an additional benefit for the hospitality industry which is minimum wage heavy.
This could include a reduction in Business Education Tax or Employer Health tax for the general application; and for hospitality businesses could mean an increased assignee discount for alcohol purchases or relief on the LCBO markup or excise taxes.
But the additional income and sales tax from minimum wage hike should more than offset any forgone revenues.

3) I would consider tax relief where a given Ontario rate is particularly uncompetitive with peer jurisdictions. Again, I would seek to offset any revenue loss with increases in other rates where room exists.

4) Broadly, I think we need more tax revenue rather than less; so that we can not only balance the budget and make crucial investments, but so we can also pay down the debt and then split the reduced interest payments between further social investment and tax relief. (eventually)

Middle income tax rates in Ontario are not high, and nowhere near their historic highs. There is no justification for reducing them.

Last edited:
Reactions: PL1

Back