News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Interesting, I wonder if the Beer Store and its owners will take it up in court regardless.
Why wouldn't they? They had a 10-year contract and made plans based on it but now it is to be ended by 'the other party". I do not care for the Beer Store and am not sorry (or excited!) to see beer made more widely available but this kind of unilateral breaking of commercial contacts rather goes against the "Ontario: Open for Business" slogan that The Thug is so proud of!

If Christine Elliott had won leadership and the election, how do you think things would be? I know I would have voted PC and given them a chance,
I used to have some respect for Ms Elliott but her simply joining the Ford bandwagon and cutting health spending without any plan has led me to believe I was mistaken. (I would put Caroline Mulroney in same category: a person who used to seem quite sensible and principled but who has demonstrated that they have no balls.)

I remember the lawyer on WKRP said; "we are not talking about right and wrong, we're talking the law".
I believe the Liberals took away teacher sick days without compensation. I don't recall if it was challenged in court, or what the result was.

This is just plain bizarre, Herb Tarlek made more sense than you!

On the whole Beer Store question...........

Am I the only one who finds it odd that they never finished the roll-out of the 'licenses' to supermarkets that Wynne began?

At least according to this government site.....

There appear to be only 70/300 wine licenses issued and 350/450 for beer and cider.

So, at no cost to the taxpayer, and maybe even a bit of money, they could, tomorrow, approve 230 additional locations for wine and 100 for beer..........yet......crickets.............

Last edited:
The law cannot ever "dismiss" court action and it is in the discretion of the independent judiciary to evaluate any Act of Parliament of provincial legislature.

The issue is not just domestic. Molson-Coors (US) [owner of Molsons] = NAFTA complaint. Anheuser-Busch InBev (Belgium) [owner of Labatt] = WTO and/or CETA complaint. Sapporo [owner of Sleeman] (Japan) = TPP complaint. The cost of a penalty imposed under any of these trade agreements falls on the Canadian government, and so on all Canadian taxpayers, unless Canada finds a means to recoup from a provincial government by withholding funds that it otherwise would transfer (which could be a political conundrum, in that many such transfers support things such as health care).

Last edited:

Footnote to Doug Ford's old high school Scarlett Heights E.A. (now closed), that he and his brother, Rob, sometimes attended...

The Toronto District School Board may have to use the Scarlett Heights building for the York Memorial C.I. next year(s).

Displaced York Memorial community must choose new home

From link.

Weeks after their school was destroyed by fire, the York Memorial C.I. community now tasked with deciding where high school students will go to school in September.

The Toronto District School Board held a meeting Tuesday night, outlining two options. The first is to stay at George Harvey C.I., where York Memorial students have already been re-located for the rest of the year. The two schools would operate in the same building but as separate entities. George Harvey is on Keele Street, less than a kilometre away from York Memorial. The second option is to re-locate York Memorial to Scarlett Heights E.A., which is currently closed. The building is 5.3 km away from York Memorial, but would give students and staff a building of their own.

“We’re hoping that in the days ahead that decision will be made,” says Toronto District School Board spokesperson Ryan Bird. “Right now we’re gathering everyone’s input, their preferences, more information to put together for a report that will then go to the board for a final decision.”

Students were told of the two options today. Each building has its own pros and cons. The board did not say how much either option would cost but the TDSB wants to make a decision before this school year is up so administrators can plan over the summer.

George Harvey currently has about 500 students, but has capacity to host up to 1,536 pupils. With the two schools under one roof, the building would host about 1,400 students. However, it has classes would have to share specialized rooms like science labs, art rooms, gyms, the library, cafeteria and pool. The school also has one sports field, so when students need a second, they’ll have to go to Keelesdale Park, about 1.5 km away. York Memorial students would also displace an adult education program at George Harvey, fording it to find a new home. However, as George Harvey is up and running, and in the neighbourhood, it could host York Memorial students with minimal upgrades or changes to kids’ routines.

“You have to be a student to really understand how it is to be in those hallways at lunchtime, after school. It’s chaotic and we just don’t feel at home.”
– York Memorial student Josselyn Pacheco
Most of the students CityNews spoke to on Wednesday were in favour of moving to a separate building.

If the students were to move to the former Scarlett Heights, the school would be holding more students than it was designed for. The school can fit 840 students – about 54 shy of York Memorial’s projected enrollment of 894 pupils next year. The building also doesn’t have a pool, as George Harvey does. But, the school has enough classrooms and specialized spaces for students, including a spots fields. As the school has been closed, the TDSB would have to bring in furniture and supplies, as well as conduct maintenance. Further, 522 of York Memorial’s students live far enough away from the school, that they would need transportation to get to school.

A massive six-alarm fire broke out at York Memorial on May 7, causing significant damage to the 90-year-old building. While there is extensive smoke and water damage, the building is likely salvageable. The Ontario Fire Marshal’s office is investigating the cause of the blaze. There is no determination so far as to the cause, or whether or not the fire was suspicious.

On Wednesday, the lead investigator received CCTV footage from the school, multiple videos from multiple cameras, will be going through that footage minute-by-minute. The Fire Marshal’s office expects the investigation will take months.

Interesting aside, but I had friends living out that way when much of it was still new development, and the original plan was to name it Scarlett Heights Institute of Technology until somebody figured out what the acronym would be. Similarly, a friend went to Thousand Islands Secondary School and apparently they originally planned to call to call it a Technical School.

Interesting, wonder if the PCs will use this as ammunition for further cuts.

Fitch Ratings agency upgrades rating outlook for Ontario from negative to stable
May 30, 2019 4:08 PM EDT

Interesting, wonder if the PCs will use this as ammunition for further cuts.

Fitch Ratings agency upgrades rating outlook for Ontario from negative to stable
May 30, 2019 4:08 PM EDT

It's based on intention, not accomplishment.

I used to have some respect for Ms Elliott but her simply joining the Ford bandwagon and cutting health spending without any plan has led me to believe I was mistaken. (I would put Caroline Mulroney in same category: a person who used to seem quite sensible and principled but who has demonstrated that they have no balls.)

Yes, they all abandoned their integrity for cheap talking points.

They more than abandoned it, they got pimped.

Doug Ford, a thoroughly unpleasant bully, a liar, not a very good or convincing one at that. Staff at city hall hated and feared him and those he employed in his office, ditto for Rob although more likeable when semi sober he too employed seedy staff and ways to get his point across. I overheard many a conversation between staff at other departments complaining about the mob tactics Doug would use to get his way.Some MPP's got elected and had high hopes to do "some good" and represent their constituents only to discover they were sent to seal training school to bow and clap for their leader. They are afraid and totally inept to resist the circus masters.
A gutless bunch, caught in the middle of a regime which allows those MPPs who are morally bankrupt and lack empathy to run amok without thought. (end of rant)

Back