News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Very interesting, my father always said they get a good pension for two terms in office, what about federal pensions? 🤔
MPPs used to have a pension, but it was axed via legislation during the Mike Harris government. There was a bit of a scandal about it during the Eves government, because some MPs received huge payouts and then Revenue Canada took issue with what they did. There were clawbacks I believe.

It would be suicide for any Premier to try to reverse this now.

Federal MPs do have a pension, yes. Famously, Pierre Pollievere qualified for it at the age of 32. They qualify for it after 6 years of service, then pension amount grows over time.

Last edited:
I wouldn't think Ford would win the next election. The whole walk back on the greenbelt would be due to the issue resonating with voters beyond the 416. Highway 413 and Ontario Place, seen as 416 / urban lefty issues wouldn't impact his voter base that much. I think the main reason Ford won the election last time out was because the first time was pandemic focused and he wasn't completely inept on how it was handled. If the pandemic didn't occur he would have carried on with Ontario rebranding and conservative policies and I think that would have made a second term unlikely.

I wouldn't think Ford would win the next election. The whole walk back on the greenbelt would be due to the issue resonating with voters beyond the 416. Highway 413 and Ontario Place, seen as 416 / urban lefty issues wouldn't impact his voter base that much. I think the main reason Ford won the election last time out was because the first time was pandemic focused and he wasn't completely inept on how it was handled. If the pandemic didn't occur he would have carried on with Ontario rebranding and conservative policies and I think that would have made a second term unlikely.

3 years is an eternity in politics, and Doug is actually lucky these scandals came out now. If no more scandals come out, and the economy improves, I can see him winning re-election again, unfortunately.

MPPs used to have a pension, but it was axed via legislation during the Mike Harris government. There was a bit of a scandal about it during the Eves government, because some MPs received huge payouts and then Revenue Canada took issue with what they did. There were clawbacks I believe.

Federal MPs do have a pension, yes. Famously, Pierre Pollievere qualified for it at the age of 32. They qualify for it after 6 years of service, then pension amount grows over time.
Thanks for answering my question, very interesting that our previous premier axed MPP pensions, I gotta correct my old man now. Thanks!

I remember that. I'm not a tax guru but I would think the ones that rolled their payout into a LIRA (locked-in retirement account) would satisfy the CRA, but if you took it as a pile-o-dough then ya, it's taxable income in that year.

3 years is an eternity in politics, and Doug is actually lucky these scandals came out now. If no more scandals come out, and the economy improves, I can see him winning re-election again, unfortunately.
You'd think. Yet people "joke" about murdering Trudeau over stuff that happened just as long ago. Grievance only grows and new stuff adds to it; at least amongst some crowds. Like watching Katamari Damacy IRL.

I remember that. I'm not a tax guru but I would think the ones that rolled their payout into a LIRA (locked-in retirement account) would satisfy the CRA, but if you took it as a pile-o-dough then ya, it's taxable income in that year.
I believe what ended up happening is that because (as Finance Minister), Eves had setup the new defined benefit pension and caused the situation where the re-elected MPPs owed so much tax, later on the Eves government reimbursed the MPPs for the extra tax they paid to Revenue Canada.

Last edited:
I believe what ended up happening is that because (as Finance Minister), Eves had setup the new defined benefit pension and caused the situation where the re-elected MPPs owed so much tax, later on the Eves government reimbursed the MPPs for the extra tax they paid to Revenue Canada.
But, but, the conservatives always tell us they’re fiscally responsible financial geniuses! Please tell me that’s not a lie!

I just want some consistency from the right. If Hillary should be locked up, so should Ford. But I know hypocrisy is the bedrock of political discourse so we'll never see it.

Sometimes I wonder if perpetually online folks realize that Canada and the US are different countries.

If the Party starts seeing a decline in support and loss of seats they will toss Ford in a heartbeat.

Yep. Sadly, I think he's pretty slippery. And I don't know if this scandal sticks till the next election 2.5 years away. That's a long time.

Yep. Sadly, I think he's pretty slippery. And I don't know if this scandal sticks till the next election 2.5 years away. That's a long time.

Indeed but RCMP Investigations take time.

2.5 years seems like a long time but if they find something in a year or so he is toast. Anything less than a year from Election Day is poison.

The RCMP investigation will likely be ongoing until early 2025. That would give Ford about a year plus to get ready for the 2026 election. But yes, I also foresee Ford winning a third term. Crombie and Stiles will divide the centre-left and give a majority to Ford even if he wins only about 35% of the vote.

Back