News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I agree. Funny how the TTC's transfer policy is now "unique" when the rigid one-way, transfer at transfer points only, up to the driver's interpretation used to be used everywhere, until Mississauga started the "two-hour" transfer (which wasn't really two hours, but a step forward) and the rest of the GTA signed on.

Thought I read somewhere that once the new streetcars are in operation, the TTC was going to switch straight to two-hour transfers.

I don't think that would work. My understanding is that it's not just that the system needs to propogate an updated balance to the card, their payment system doesn't appear to update anything, anywhere, until an overnight batch process is run. The call centre staff don't even know if you add money on-line. An app will have the same issue. Until the payment system tells the database you added money, you can't use that balance. No one has been able to explain why it has to be this way.

If the app allows the card to communicate to the Presto card using NFC, then I think it would work.

But if their payments don't work instantly or near-instantly, then that might be a problem. At least if you load in person it appears to be "instant" in that you see the balance immediately, but who knows maybe it still is pushed off as a batch.

Next...

Bixi Toronto and PRESTO announce one can use the PRESTO card to use a Bixi bicycle?

Back