9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

wonderboy416

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sooooo... I had decided a few months ago to relocate within downtown. Having put down a security deposit on a yet to be built condo I was looking for a good neighbourhood but also low rent. I came to the conclusion that I was willing to live in a basement if need be as that seemed to be the best option for low rent with utilities included to be close by the subway (a bachelor wasn't really an option).

So I seemed to have found the ideal place... Low rent, decent size, nice enough, utilities included except laundry with a laundromat a minute away... So I moved in on February 1st (horrible day to move).

The house was built in 1920 but I was advised it was fully updated, 100amp electrical, all copper/plastic plumbing, good roof etc... knowing a lot of downtown homes are this age I figured it wouldn't be an issue.

Well a few days after moving in the tenants upstairs complained they had a blockage in some of their drains. The landlord acted quick and got some plumbers in who needed to open up a wall in my unit and take a look at the exit pipes. Needless to say.. things only got worse from there. Yesterday they came into my place with a jack hammer (they covered all my belongings) and dug a trench going through the entire unit, there's a large pile of dirt in there and I was advised I would have to spend my weekend somewhere else. the landlord was good enough to offer me $50/night for as long as I'm displaced.

The problem is, I'm quite nervous about all my things (large lcd tv, computer, 360 etc). They're just sitting there covered up, I'm sure the vibrations from the jack hammer weren't good but I'm going to assume everything will be fine. It's just really really frustrating to have just moved into a place and already be out like this. My landlord's are doing what they can but I'm just getting a sour feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I checked the landlord/tenant act and don't really seem to have any recourse. Can anyone explain what my options are? I did sign a one year lease, would this be grounds to break that lease and ask for my security deposit back? If not at what point is that an acceptable option? I'm really having second thoughts and rightfully so. I'm stuck out in 905 this weekend just sitting here worried and anxious and quite pissed at all the plans I had to break for the weekend.

Any help or guidance is appreciated, I'm sure someone out there in UT land has experienced something similar.

Renters Insurance may definitely help...

WB: For starters how well do you get along with your landlord? It seems to me he is helping you out-just that monetary offer sounds OK to me. How are the upstairs tenants taking these problems? This place sounds like a good and convenient location for you. I feel that your landlord will try to protect your personal belongings-also having renters insurance can help if something does happen. This landlord is dealing with a major problem here-I feel that breaking a lease-and the problems that can result-should be a last resort only. I am thinking if that was me dealing with that problem-let's see how it is handled by them. My thoughts-LI MIKE

The landlord seems to be quite accomodating although I would not be paying rent during the time the place is inhabitable. There used to be quite a few tenant protection agencies out there offering free advice on how to proceed and on whether you can break your lease over this extraordinary occurance or not.

Here's how I broke a lease in a similar situation: put all my belongings in boxes, come in at 2AM and walk out on the place! To hell with a lease, 'tis time to move on.

But wait, it's only one week and you have a place with your parents in Miss (I'm guessing?) (In contrast, my parents lived 4000 miles around the globe when i walked out from a jerklord.)

Here's my suggestion: one week or so is okay--just ask for some cash back and it'll be fine. For every complaint you have there's always that friendly guy sleeping outside in the snowstorm tonight....

Overall, the way you wrote here suggests you've been a wee bit too spoiled in the past? I'm jealous;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're worried about your belongings, get tenant insurance.

Thanks for your input everyone. I'm just glad I made it through the week. My landlord told me the plumbers were out Wednesday night and that the place was going to be ready tomorrow evening (it takes a few days for the new concrete they poured to dry). I'll have new carpeting and floors and will be $400 richer. I've been going out and just doing my best to keep my mind off it. I think I'll breathe a lot easier once I test all my electronics which were oh so close to the jack hammer they were using to make sure they all still work. Although seeing how they get jossled and vibrated when they travel oversea's and on trasport trucks and cargo containers I'm sure I'm just overreacting and everything will be fine.

Thanks again.

As for tenants insurance, of course I have it, I carry all risks coverage with a low deductable, that's not really something I should be using in a case like this though. If anything is damaged and I'm not compensated small claims court would be the correct route. I did not suffer any perils and should not suffer the consequences of a claim on my property insurance (which is actually much worse than an auto claim as far as your record goes) for having things damaged, but that's another story :)

Back