News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Looks good, could they not complete MARS 2 First tho.. Or at least at the same time. Actually OK with my tax dollars going to this.

As MaRS is a public/private project, it will not be competed until they are confident they can find enough tenants in the private sector to make the project viable. This project, however, is all Queen's Park, and as such has built in tenants.

I don't mind the set-back, as most of Bay St. is like that anyway, it's not as though it will ruin some lovely curtain wall. It is a shame Bay St. wasn't built like that in the first place, though.

I like set-back in downtown TO, wherever it can be accommodated. After all, we want a people-friendly streetscape, unlike the North York canyon up on north Yonge Street. Perhaps that's a provincial attitude but if I'm having to go from A to B, it's nicer to visually enjoy the journey and not be blown to pieces by the downdrafts!

Fascinating! Years ago, Queen's Park moved to decentralize and, in part, to use their moves into private developments as a stimulus to suburban office building (and a sop to the private sector). Now those buildings are old and unsuitable, and there are economies to be had in centralization.

The growing stock of aged, unattractive suburban office developments will be a major planning/development issue in coming decades.

Looks great, and makes lots of financial sense for them. Most if not all of the buildings they vacate will probably be prime candidates for suburban intensification.

Why bother extending that podium so far out onto Bay Street if it is only going to rise a few stories? I'd set it back a bit giving more street level space. This section of Bay Street is wide and the current building is the only part that is close to the edge of the road. Seems silly to not continue the space that exists from 900 Bay to the north if you have the opportunity.

I'm also not a fan of the height, even though this is Bay Street, realize how close this is to Queen's Park. I am not sure if anything over 30s is a good idea on this site.

um, they need somewhere to house their employees?

and ya, looking at those renders again that podium really constricts the flow of pedestrian traffic and creates a dead spot on Bay.

Last edited:
Yuck. Good thing it's on Bay Street, a write-off already! It just strikes me as a hodge podge, lacking grace or imagination. Bleah!

keep in mind though this isn't the finished design for this proposal, this is just the design andco produced for an ORC best use study. What will probably remain the same is the general massing and height.

Back