News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Driving westbound on the QEW on Tuesday I was able to get a look at the bridge. Looks like 80% of the bridge is waiting formwork to support the pouring of the concrete decking. The west end have panels down that were place by the track crane that can be seen in the top photo.. Looks like late summer or early fall before traffic can use that new bridge that will start around of new detours for eastbound traffic for the next few years.

Other work taking place for the new westbound road to the bridge, but fail to noticed the work west of the bridge due to traffic.

Need to get @Tim MacDonald to shot the area as well others, as his photo shots are sadly missing theses days.

I heard the bat call from @drum118 !

February turned out to be insanely busy with work and other un-fun things and I managed just a meagre 33 minutes of flight time compared to over 6hrs in January.

Anyway, here are a few shots from February 19th followed by a couple from today.
DJI_0452.JPG

1678647076054.jpeg

1678647101963.jpeg

March 12
1678647175729.jpeg

1678647213426.jpeg

1678647243495.jpeg

I heard the bat call from @drum118 !

February turned out to be insanely busy with work and other un-fun things and I managed just a meagre 33 minutes of flight time compared to over 6hrs in January.

Anyway, here are a few shots from February 19th followed by a couple from today.
View attachment 461119
View attachment 461120
View attachment 461121

March 12
View attachment 461122
View attachment 461123
View attachment 461124
Thanks for the update.

Family, work, other things and weather in that order come first before flying.

The west pier is form for back filling with work taking place on the east pier from your shots and better than I saw travelling westbound.

i had to occasion to travel by the Credit River Bridge westbound, and so had a decent chance to observe what appears to be happening. No chance of taking photos unfortunately. The crews do appear to be installing a preformed deck of at least one layer, possibly two. This is all new to me, i was expecting the usual forming, rebar and pouring. I did a little google research and came up with this as a possible explanation. From the Short Span Steel Bridge Alliance comes two short articles on Partial Depth and Full Depth Precast Deck Slabs www.shortspansteelbridges.org

The use of Partial Depth Precast Panels appears to agree with the DCR 2 Appendix C Design Drawings> and then they will pour a concrete deck over the precast panels. I am assuming there are great savings in time and labour over the more traditional forming, rebar and pouring methods.

Reactions: max
Bridge beams have been installed across the rebuilt Mississauga road bridge that was originally demolished last fall. I should have photos this weekend.

If the new bridge can carry six lanes of traffic and the old ones carry six as well, how many lanes are we ultimately looking at here?

If the new bridge can carry six lanes of traffic and the old ones carry six as well, how many lanes are we ultimately looking at here?
it can carry 6 regular lanes with no shoulders, but the design is for each bridge to carry 3 lanes and an HOV lane with full shoulders on each side ultimately. I believe there will also be some exit / merge lanes for the Mississauga Road interchange.

Of course the HOV lane isn't happening quite yet, so it will be just 3 lanes in each direction with temporary jersey barriers at first. I wouldn't be surprised if the HOV lane comes soonish however, as bascially every structure on the QEW can accommodate it after this project wraps up (Hurontario bridge needs to be widened on the north side, but that's very minor).

Last edited:
Based on the other similar projects on this stretch of QEW (Sixteen mile Creek and Bronte Creek), I would guess 4 general purpose+ 1 HOV per direction. One of the general purpose lanes would likely just exist between Mississauga road and Hurontario. This is only a guess, but it keeps with the same strategy as the other projects.

Thanks for the update. This project seems to be absolutely flying compared to many recent MTO projects (404 widening, anyone?)

The 401 widening from the Credit river to highway 25 in Milton pretty much flew as well, as has the 401 Grand River Bridge replacement in Kitchener/Cambridge. Maybe the 404 project is just cursed...

At Mississauga Rd. yesterday:

View attachment 470312
In daylight hours this is incredibly hard to do. I took this photo on Sunday and this is the only entrance to that zone and well marked with cones. Even if they followed a construction vehicle into the zone, it is still quite a feat they didn't notice all the construction across the roadway.
1681932988559.png

Back