News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Ok, so I drive a Camry Hybrid, and I pass signs for the HOV lanes (both on the 403 and on the 417 here in Ottawa) that state that "green" vehicles are allowed. I'm pretty sure my car qualifies as "green", but I still choose not the use the lanes with just myself in the car, for fear of the cop not knowing that green vehicles are allowed (or not seeing that my car is a hybrid), and pulling me over. Can anyone clarify what the law actually is?

Smug alert? You gona start delivering George Clooney's oscar speech?

Yay the MTO has announced it too... even though some sections still need a coat of asphalt.

HOV lanes open on QEW between Burlington and Oakville

November 29, 2010 10:36 AM
McGuinty Government Easing Congestion, Boosting Economy

Drivers in the GTA will enjoy a more efficient and reliable commute on High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes that opened today on the QEW.

More than 16 kilometres of High Occupancy Vehicle lanes - the longest stretch in the Greater Toronto Area - are opening on the QEW between Trafalgar Road in Oakville and Guelph Line in Burlington. They will also ease congestion, encourage carpooling and improve air quality in the region.

HOV lanes on provincial highways are designed to help move more people through congested areas by moving more people in fewer vehicles. Passenger vehicles carrying at least two people can use the reserved lane. Buses and emergency vehicles are permitted to use the HOV lane at all times.

Since 2007, more than $380 million has been invested to improve and widen the QEW from six to eight lanes, including HOV lanes in both directions. About 4,400 jobs have been generated.

These improvements are part of the McGuinty government's Open Ontario plan to strengthen our economy by creating more jobs and opportunities for growth.
QUICK FACTS

* As part of Open Ontario, the Province plans to invest over $32 billion in infrastructure to strengthen the economy. This is creating and sustaining over 300,000 jobs.
* About 175,000 vehicles per day travel across this section of the QEW.
* The three contracts for the construction work were awarded to Dufferin Construction and AECON

Back