News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

One thing to keep in mind is that CP’s agreement to allow passenger service in the tunnel as a condition of CPKC merger was made to Amtrak, not to “whoever wants to run service”. Might they decide it doesn’t matter? Maybe. But again, a complication not needed if Amtrak does the crossing,

One thing to keep in mind is that CP’s agreement to allow passenger service in the tunnel as a condition of CPKC merger was made to Amtrak, not to “whoever wants to run service”. Might they decide it doesn’t matter? Maybe. But again, a complication not needed if Amtrak does the crossing,
Which brings us back to the Maple Leaf: VIA Rail operates it as its own train west of Niagara Falls/ON, where it is considered a VIA train for all contractual or legal purposes, especially concerning Track Access (Amtrak has no track access agreement with Metrolinx, but VIA of course does). The inverse could be done between Windsor and Detroit, where Amtrak could slap an Amtrak number on all VIA trains and treat it as its own trip. Only Amtrak would have a contractual relationship with the tunnel operator, but presumably nothing would require Amtrak to only send their own rolling stock or crews through the tunnel…

Which brings us back to the Maple Leaf: VIA Rail operates it as its own train west of Niagara Falls/ON, where it is considered a VIA train for all contractual or legal purposes, especially concerning Track Access (Amtrak has no track access agreement with Metrolinx, but VIA of course does). The inverse could be done between Windsor and Detroit, where Amtrak could slap an Amtrak number on all VIA trains and treat it as its own trip. Only Amtrak would have a contractual relationship with the tunnel operator, but presumably nothing would require Amtrak to only send their own rolling stock or crews through the tunnel…
Hm. I get what you're saying but I'm not convinced. This is all Amtrak's idea, let them figure out how to make it work as far as crewing and equipment go. VIA would be well served to avoid taking the blame for delays in CPR/ETR dispatching, or having to appear in US courts because someone stubbed their toe on a cross border service. In any case, if Montreal's customs post is any guide, we may all be pushing up daisies before this sees fruition.

Given that much more passengers will want to travel from Canada to Detroit than from the US to Windsor, it would be desirable to have immigration and customs performed in Detroit than Windsor. Same reason why Toronto-NYC should have all border checks in Buffalo, assuming a routing via Welland rather than Niagara Falls…

Given that much more passengers will want to travel from Canada to Detroit than from the US to Windsor, it would be desirable to have immigration and customs performed in Detroit than Windsor.
I'm not sure how that's in Amtrak's primary mandate to serve Americans. Nor do I think it would maximize ridership by Americans.

The big difference with the Maple Leaf is there is a crew Change in Niagara Falls, and it is operated by VIA Rail employees to/from Toronto. I doubt if Amtrak would want to do a crew change in Windsor to have all of VIA Rail's trains to Detroit operated by Amtrak employees for one stop so that it can be an Amtrak train in CPKC's eyes.

The big difference with the Maple Leaf is there is a crew Change in Niagara Falls, and it is operated by VIA Rail employees to/from Toronto. I doubt if Amtrak would want to do a crew change in Windsor to have all of VIA Rail's trains to Detroit operated by Amtrak employees for one stop so that it can be an Amtrak train in CPKC's eyes.
What makes you believe that it matters who deploys the crews? Amtrak has a contract with enforcable rights against the tunnel operators and as long as Amtrak is formally the operator of the (cross-border section of this) service, it doesn’t matter whether Amtrak deploys its own crews or subcontracts a different railroad for the crewing…

Back