News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

LI Mike, I think Toronto has been getting a bit more like New York over the last 20 or 30 years (for worse and better). Grubbier, more disorganized and also much more interesting

For that matter I think New York has been getting more like Toronto. I can't speak for all bouroughs but Manhattan on my last trip looked as clean as a whistle - very nice (maybe a bit too nice!), But it is still the undisputed heavyweight champ for those who enjoy city life.

You don't see as much stuff like this in T.O.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gkjarvis/sets/72157594485094784/

Hm. Not much action in this section in recent years.

I've been researching this area off/on for years and I was wondering if anyone knows what happened to the block of Queen Street b/w Spadina and Portland (south side) between 1889 and 1890.

I was looking at the city directory and it appears that prior to 1890, the addresses for the south side are completely different from the addresses afterwards. Some addresses cease to exist, others have moved 100 or so units etc. There is consistency prior to, and after 1890, but something happened during that year. Does anyone know what that might be? The R.F. Dale Bakery is a good example. It's listed at 463 Queen prior to 1890, and at 597 Queen afterwards but in both cases it's listed just at the corner of Queen and Portland.

Any info would be appreciated.

Mystery solved. According to this map (http://jpeg2000.eloquent-systems.com/toronto.html?image=mt-845.jp2), the block between wasn't populated/developed in 1862, and I can surmise that it remained so until lots started popping up. I'm guessing that addresses had to be re-assigned based on that. Why they wouldn't have just reserved the addresses, I have no idea, but I guess there's no one left around to complain to about that.

Agreed. King West responds to the yuppie factor more than Queen West.

It'll take a lot more condos before WQW completely loses the bohemian vibe.

Just found out that Queen Video location on Queen Street is closing its doors for good this weekend. The place has been around since 1981 and featured a huge and eclectic selection of films - including a lot of stuff that's hard to find online. The last Queen Video location on Bloor remains - at least for now.

Nandos Chicken is opening their second downtown location on West Queen West.

Going in on 741 Queen Street West (Queen/Palmerston) where Destingo used to be. Hope they take advantage of that massive patio out front.

Does anyone know whats going on with the Metro at Gladstone? The space has seemed ready to furnish for a while now, but nothing has been going on.. I would love for that to open, give another option to Freshco.

The Hideout will be closing on October 31st

Yep, my sister had a shop around Queen/St. Patrick for almost a decade, but the high rent pushed her out. It was an uphill and losing battle in the final couple of years. Having seen how much my effort my sister put into the store, I really have to give credit to the other small business owners out there. But there was no point in her pouring her heart and energy into a business that was, after the years went by, being sapped almost completely by rent. The meager profits just wasn't worth it anymore.

Back