News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Interesting.

Although I'd be leery if it took out trees on the east side.

Traffic should be two-way and only go up and down the East side of the Park. The West side should be ripped up south of Hoskin and the park should be blended into the U of T campus.

Whenever traffic islands have been made into peninsulas in the UK, it has been a huge success. Everyone freaks out about removing lanes of traffic before it happens, but afterwards everyone can't believe they didn't do it earlier.

That would be exactly what we need.
The traffic would be fine. I don't know why people get all so freaked out about losing a couple of lanes.

Traffic should be two-way and only go up and down the East side of the Park. The West side should be ripped up south of Hoskin and the park should be blended into the U of T campus.

Whenever traffic islands have been made into peninsulas in the UK, it has been a huge success. Everyone freaks out about removing lanes of traffic before it happens, but afterwards everyone can't believe they didn't do it earlier.

I looked at Google Satellite, and I think this makes a lot of sense. You can exit one or two lanes of University Avenue northbound onto College eastbound, dedicate a left-turn lane onto College westbound, and so narrow down northbound QPC East relatively seamlessly. Moving to six lanes (or a Jarvis-style five?) just means you're down to six lanes at College instead of slightly farther north. It would make QPN into a magnificent urban park at the heart of the University.

I'd never considered that idea but if it would be workable from a transportation flow perspective, it is one of the best ideas for city-building I have heard in a while. Cheap but dramatic in effect. I am just imagining how amazing the blending of Queens Park and the U of T campus would be., especially Hart House and the Sigmund Samuel open spaces. With the overpass and road gone, the new space would be a huge and continuous green expanse. Right now, from Hoskin to College, the west side has a cold feeling even though it has beautiful architecture and trees. I think it's due to the lack of connectivity with Queens Park and the highway-like nature of traffic in the circle. The hills around the overpass could make a great congregation point without the street, but as of now it cuts off sight lines to the Park and Campus, making the spaces appear smaller and more enclosed than they have to be (though I sometimes liked the Hart House yard for that enclosure, which is common to many UofT spaces). Great idea!

As for noise i've always found the forecourt of Osgoode Hall to be quite serene despite the adjacent traffic. The fences and greenery help a lot. Not sure if something like this could be integrated into a design at QP? I like the fountain idea too.

As for the traffic circle, i agree it should be toned down and less highway-like but there's something about the form that i like. It's a continuation of University Avenue's grandeur, a touch of formality that is unique in Toronto. As with University though it could be so much more!

This park needs some love so badly, and for so long - the summary is very impressive. I really support the idea of reducing (or eliminating) large events and steer it more towards enjoyment for the growing community around it. I'd like to see more perennial gardens and fewer seasonal gardens - like the Music Garden, but on a smaller scale of course. The idea of a centre water feature around that sad King Edward VII mound is a very exciting proposal.

They seem to be on the right track. The park has many issues including walkways that are in bad shape. It's good to hear they're going for granite pavers--that's the kind of quality the park needs. The plaza sounds like it'll be a great space. They should definitely light up the monuments--they're among the city's finest.

I love that there is planning around this. Since I live nearby I love walking through Queen's Park.

This is great news. A much needed facelift to a very important city park. Does anyone know the timeline on when this will be done?

I wish Toronto would do this for many of the existing parks downtown and throughout the city. Some of the large parks like Hogh Park and Edwards Gardens needs an urbanized facelift and to support the growing population that uses them.

This is great news. A much needed facelift to a very important city park. Does anyone know the timeline on when this will be done?

I wish Toronto would do this for many of the existing parks downtown and throughout the city. Some of the large parks like Hogh Park and Edwards Gardens needs an urbanized facelift and to support the growing population that uses them.
Berczy Park is scheduled for a very major upgrade after Pan-Am Games and there are plans for a more minor 'fixin' up' of St James in 2016. There are major plans for Allan Gardens, Cawthra Square (Barbara Hall Park) was done last year, Corktown Common is new as are the waterfront parks and there are plans for sprucing up all the small parks in Corktown. Not too bad.

Anyone know what's going on here? They appear to have removed the sidewalk along queens park circle on the inside of the circle.. Streetview shows it as having previously been interlocking brick. There seems to generally be a bunch of cheap, half thought out improvements to the park as a whole as well, that I didn't grab photos of.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 1,135
It was interlocking brick; I used to walk down that on my way to work every morning. Admittedly, not many people used it, but it's odd that they'd remove the walk, especially now that there's a signalled crossing to the south (you used to just have to Frogger it). Maybe they want people to walk closer to the Legislature, but it's not like there's much provision for pedestrians there either (and it's not like QP is exactly visitor-friendly).

Something seems to be happening..

Tender
ecblank.gif
Call number: 158-2017
Commodity:
Construction Services, Landscape Construction
Description:
Queen's Park, North, construction
All materials, equipment, labour and supervision required to complete Queen's Park North Park Improvements.

Questions about this Tender should be directed in writing to Mike Voelker, CSCMP. at e-mail mvoelke@toronto.ca. For more information, please refer to Section 2.3 Deadline for Questions. The last day for questions with respect to this tender is four (4) working days prior to closing.
Issue date: June 12, 2017
ecblank.gif
Closing date: July 10, 2017
at 12:00 Noon

See: https://wx.toronto.ca/inter/pmmd/calls.nsf/0/1011898FE6B94B3B8525813D0068649D?OpenDocument

Something seems to be happening..

Tender
ecblank.gif
Call number: 158-2017
Commodity:
Construction Services, Landscape Construction
Description:
Queen's Park, North, construction
All materials, equipment, labour and supervision required to complete Queen's Park North Park Improvements.

Questions about this Tender should be directed in writing to Mike Voelker, CSCMP. at e-mail mvoelke@toronto.ca. For more information, please refer to Section 2.3 Deadline for Questions. The last day for questions with respect to this tender is four (4) working days prior to closing.
Issue date: June 12, 2017
ecblank.gif
Closing date: July 10, 2017
at 12:00 Noon

See: https://wx.toronto.ca/inter/pmmd/calls.nsf/0/1011898FE6B94B3B8525813D0068649D?OpenDocument

From said tender call:

Work of this Contract comprises but is not limited to:

• Supply of all equipment, labour, supervision and materials for the general construction of Queen’s Park North Park Improvements. Refer to the contract drawings for the exact limits of the site.
• Mobilization, site and tree protection, demolition, removals, disposal, and restoration.
• Site Servicing Work, including water lines and storm water infiltration galleries.
• Removal, LED retrofit, and reinstallation of existing park light fixtures, supplemented with installation of additional new park LED light fixtures to match existing.
• Concrete work including cast-in-place paving, cast-in-place curbs, wall foundations, and site furnishing bases.
• Unit paving work, including both concrete and granite unit pavers for plazas and pathways.
• Asphalt paving for pathways.
• Planting including supply and installation of planting soil(s), trees, ornamental grasses, shrubs, sod, grass seeding, bulb plantings, and mulch.
• Supply and installation of site furnishings including benches, picnic tables and benches, and bottle filler fountain.
• Supply and install metal fencing and gates around designated urban forest restoration area.
• Supply and Install of terraced granite seatwalls around King Edward VII monument.
• Supply and install of Limestone veneer landscape walls at Hoskin Plaza.
• Restoration of existing limestone screening pathway, supplemented with sections of new limestone pathway along the edge of park.
• Supply and install irrigation turf valves.
• Tree care and soil augmentation works including machine-tined soil aeration across the site, radial trenching at existing trees, transplanting 4 trees, pruning for 9 trees, and site-wide soil fertilization.

Back