News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

You guys just love using the word "faux" a bit too much. I personally think the townhouses with their "eclectic mix of historical-style features" add a nice contrast to the glass towers.

There's nothing wrong with buildings using older styles. The Stern Building and Uptown are two that I'm really liking that are trying to look back. But I'm sorry these townhouses are as ugly as it gets. Shockingly ugly when I first saw them in fact. The guys building in this style a century ago would have had a good laugh.

While I do agree that the juxtaposition is quite startling, I don't mind the townhomes on the west side of windermere, the ones surrounding NXT. The ones on the east side however, surrounding Windermere by the Lake... those are shockingly ugly. Much like the ones on the east side of Liberty Village near Strachan, don't know what they're called though.

You cannot use a word too much if it is the perfect descriptor. In this case faux fits the bill to a T. Meanwhile, "eclectic mix of historical-style finishes" is a pile of marketing bafflegab that reads as "run screaming" to those who can decode its hidden meaning, namely "we are throwing up a bunch of cobbled together olde-timey references that should offend anyone who cares about particular architectural styles". It's railing against this slack-jawed approach to architecture that brought the likes of UrbanToronto into existence in the first place, although admittedly from the earliest days not all members have adhered to one particular train of thought in that regard.

Anyway, faux is faux is faux, and those townhouses are it.

Queensway should have retail, not townhouses. But I guess that light rail lines don't naturally generate new streetscapes resembling Queen Street.

Back