News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying what he said was right but this is a typical double standard. Black people call us crackers and white boys all the time and it's accepted.

I'm not saying what he said was right but this is a typical double standard. Black people call us crackers and white boys all the time and it's accepted.

I don't think those words carry the same derrogatory weight as the N-word, IMHO. Heck even you refer to yourself as White Boy so it can't be that mentally taxing for you. Sometimes I myself am taken aback when someone refers to me as "the Black Guy" but it's no biggie.

I don't think those words carry the same derrogatory weight as the N-word, IMHO.

Your opinion doesn't seem to be that humble.

The 'N-word', means ignorant....anybody can be ignorant, it's not specific to skin colour....take the word and apply it to anyone who is ignorant, like anyone who uses the word as a racial epithet.

When I was in primary school, a black girl in my class called me a 'white fool', as a 7 year old, I retorted with, "well, you're a black fool". I was hauled off to the headmaster who explained to me that I made a racist comment. When I explained that it was in response to the racist comment made to me, I was ignored, and the lecture to me on how racist I am continued.
The headmaster was extremely embarrassed when my parents showed up to speak with him. One of my parents is not white, the other is not black.

I don't believe in racial purity, unfortunately a lot do, but I just call them 'ignint'.

I don't think those words carry the same derrogatory weight as the N-word, IMHO. Heck even you refer to yourself as White Boy so it can't be that mentally taxing for you. Sometimes I myself am taken aback when someone refers to me as "the Black Guy" but it's no biggie.

That's because I'm not offended by being called "white boy." What about when a white person is called a honkie or red neck? How is that not as bad as the term nigger? The reason for this double standard is that white people weren't enslaved and therefore it's socially more acceptable to call a white person a derogatory remark. It's total bull shit, but that's the way it is. I'm not affected by a term like that personally but it doesn't make it right for black people or other races to call us names and when we say something like black guy we're considered racist.

I don't think those words carry the same derrogatory weight as the N-word, IMHO.

I'm inclined to agree. As far as words go, "nigger" (and pardon me for using it) has a weight to it that tends to go far beyond terms such as "cracker" and "honkie." The word has a history that is deeply intertwined with a very grim period of time where there was a concerted effort to deny rights and opportunities to a group of people solely on the basis of skin colour.

What I find troubling is the casual use of the term "white trash" these days. It's a racist double hit. It would seem to me that the prejudicial addition of "white" was used to draw a relationship to the unstated skin colour of a grouping of people originally defined as "trash."

No black person I have ever known has called white people crackers and white boys "all the time". Rappers and comedians on television do not actually make up the entire black population.

I also agree that I do not consider those words too offensive, in comparison to a word which has very deep and sad undertones.

That said, I think this story would be a lot easier to have an opinion on if it weren't for the whole "A-hole" thing....

What a crying shame, in 2008 blacks can still be called the N-word without reprocussion, in this case just for doing her job and presenting an unbiased representation of the truth. The truth here is that I think this is a sad testament to how society marginalizes and underappreciates the contributions of people of colour.

Could somebody please tell me what "reprocussion" means! I am unable to find it in any dictionary.

What would you call East Asian folk, then? Chinese Crackers?

didn't they invent gun powder? maybe firecrackers then. ;)

you ever buy a box of crackers and some of them are broken? nobody cares about the broken ones.:(

That's because I'm not offended by being called "white boy." What about when a white person is called a honkie or red neck? How is that not as bad as the term nigger? The reason for this double standard is that white people weren't enslaved and therefore it's socially more acceptable to call a white person a derogatory remark. It's total bull shit, but that's the way it is. I'm not affected by a term like that personally but it doesn't make it right for black people or other races to call us names and when we say something like black guy we're considered racist.

I think you're overreaching a tad bit. I said I was affected when referred to as "the black guy" but I don't think it was said to offend me or be racist. Just a description. Just like within the black community in the connotation of salutation or gossiping, some people refer to eachother as niggas (yikes I'm saying it now :eek:); it's very much the same for some white circles, particularly inner city or trailer park dwellers, to be self-referential by those terms. Redneck's mutually exclusive as I've heard blacks and even Asians called that before too. It's about a way of life, more so than a racial epiphet.

Could somebody please tell me what "reprocussion" means! I am unable to find it in any dictionary.

Dang, it must be time for a built-in UT spellchecker as I obviously meant repercussion :rolleyes:!

Could somebody please tell me what "reprocussion" means!

It means that, if you're not black, you're a racist, despite what you may do or think or say.
As evidenced in this thread, racial slurs against white people "are never really bad", and therefore acceptable, a perceived slur against a non white person, however, means that you're a bigot, with no chance to defend ytourself, nor even express an opinion.

some people refer to eachother as niggas (yikes I'm saying it now );

How 'black' does one have to be to 'get a pass' at the work 'nigga'?

Why do some people perpetuate the stereotype of an ignorant person, and then 'qualify' it with a "smily"....what a hypocritical joke this is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back