News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Kind of seems like a shame to make it even more difficult to reconfigure the rail corridor leading into DT.

Is it possible that the rest of rails, excluding the park, will eventually get developed with skyscrapers? like Hudson yards in New York

Is it possible that the rest of rails, excluding the park, will eventually get developed with skyscrapers? like Hudson yards in New York

The properties would have to be worth far, far more than they currently are to make such complex and expensive engineering economically worthwhile. Toronto just has more places to build than Manhattan and it's a different market - developable space just isn't at as much of a premium here - so though it's possible, I don't see something like that happening for a long time.

(This is all aside from whether or not the soulless and anti-urban Hudson Yards is something worth emulating.)

Why is Spadina GO station needed? It's just 1 km from Union. It will add extra time in the journey and GO trains aren't great at accelerating either.

Why is Spadina GO station needed? It's just 1 km from Union. It will add extra time in the journey and GO trains aren't great at accelerating either.
There are tons of reasons: it would increase transit options to access the central downtown core, greatly improve commute times into and out of the core, provide more commute options for people who want to access the western side of the core, etc...

The proximity to Union will become more of a moot point once various pieces of the GO Network is electrified (baring an election of the Liberal leader Del Duca who would surely explore the hydrogen fairy dust idea).

The proximity to Union will become more of a moot point once various pieces of the GO Network is electrified (baring an election of the Liberal leader Del Duca who would surely explore the hydrogen fairy dust idea).
Someone just has to convince Del Duca that he can make an announcement at the installation of each individual catenary pole and he'd finally be on board.

Even if the funds are available and construction begins.

Constructing this park will take longer than the Union Station Renovation.

I don't think this Park will become a reality until 2045 or 2050.

Even if the funds are available and construction begins.

Constructing this park will take longer than the Union Station Renovation.

I don't think this Park will become a reality until 2045 or 2050.

The Phase 1 Block, east of Spadina will likely be built out, in w/e form (buildings+park or just park) by 2030.

Phase 2, west of Spadina is more likely to be a bit later, though still by 2040 I would think.

My key takeaway is that park is amazing. I think it'll look really good and make the city attractive. However, I don't think that it should happen now or any time soon. It will happen when the time is right.

It's a nice idea, but that space has to be effective for transportation foremost. You really have to think ahead as to how the tracks to Union are going to be used for a long time into the future if you are going to build a structure like this above.

The Phase 1 Block, east of Spadina will likely be built out, in w/e form (buildings+park or just park) by 2030.

Phase 2, west of Spadina is more likely to be a bit later, though still by 2040 I would think.

Just out of curiosity what is your rationale behind those timelines. And how are you determining they are 2 separate phases? Wouldn't it be more likely the west part Spadina to Blue Jays would be built earlier. It would be easier to extend the union park development park west towards spadina as opposed to having an awkward middle ground between blue jays and spadina and then west of spadina having a park?

Anyone got any thoughts on that?

Just out of curiosity what is your rationale behind those timelines. And how are you determining they are 2 separate phases? Wouldn't it be more likely the west part Spadina to Blue Jays would be built earlier. It would be easier to extend the union park development park west towards spadina as opposed to having an awkward middle ground between blue jays and spadina and then west of spadina having a park?

Anyone got any thoughts on that?

Because City staff have already specified that there are 2 phases and are moving to acquire the air rights for phase 1, which is the eastern portion. (east of Spadina)

You seem a bit confused, Spadina to Blue Jays Way IS the eastern part. The western part is west of Spadina to Bathurst.

Back