News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Whoaccio, I agree with the first article you posted with one exception - we shouldn't forget high speed rail in favour of immediate conventional rail upgrades. We should do both at the same time. There's no reason that land acquisition, planning, and design of HSR shouldn't go ahead in 2009. In the meantime, conventional lines can be upgraded fairly quickly. By the time the first HSR line is built, all those upgrades to conventional lines (not to mention local transit) will have been up and running for years.

Whoaccio, I agree with the first article you posted with one exception - we shouldn't forget high speed rail in favour of immediate conventional rail upgrades. We should do both at the same time. There's no reason that land acquisition, planning, and design of HSR shouldn't go ahead in 2009. In the meantime, conventional lines can be upgraded fairly quickly. By the time the first HSR line is built, all those upgrades to conventional lines (not to mention local transit) will have been up and running for years.

And conventional upgrades might actually turn more folks onto rail building a customer base in the long run....

From Today's Globe and Mail

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090119.CORAIL19/TPStory/?query=toronto

Putting fast rail back on track
Developments in California may herald a new era - and Canada needs to get on board
JOHN LORINC

Toronto journalist and author of The New City

January 19, 2009

All but unnoticed amid the excitement over Barack Obama's election last November, California voters endorsed a highly anticipated ballot proposition to approve raising $9.9-billion (U.S.) in state bonds for the first leg of a high-speed rail line extending from San Diego to San Francisco and Sacramento.

In a region famous for both its green politics and its populist tax revolts, Californians offered up a resounding vote of confidence in a $40-billion infrastructure scheme well calibrated to the energy dictates of the 21st century. The California High Speed Rail Authority predicts construction could begin as soon as 2011.

The success of Proposition 1a should come as welcome news to Canadian high-speed rail advocates, who have long dreamed of such service between Windsor and Quebec City, and connecting Calgary, Red Deer and Edmonton.

But as is the case with high-speed rail systems in much of Europe and Japan, the proponents of the California project have been up front about the need to involve the private sector in this massive undertaking. The authority has retained Infrastructure Management Group, a finance firm, to assess the opportunities to involve private players; indeed, as many as 50 companies expressed interest last year. "The authority's finance team anticipates public-private partnerships will comprise $4.5-billion to $7-billion of initial investment opportunities, including project debt financing, vendor financing, system operations and private ownership."

Print Edition - Section Front
Enlarge Image

The implications for Canada are clear: If we want to drag Canadian passenger rail service out of the 1960s, Ottawa must include private partners, a development that could mean selling the moribund Via Rail to a transportation consortium that understands the technology, the market opportunities and is willing to invest.

This is an ideal moment to have the debate, given that federal politicians are expected to approve a multi-billion-dollar stimulus package this month.

With the incoming Obama administration poised to unveil a massive infrastructure program that includes substantial rail investments (he enthused about the potential for high-speed rail in the U.S. Northeast on the hustings), the California plan will almost certainly have additional public backing. Indeed, the U.S. Congress last year passed a long-term plan to upgrade Amtrak and provide matching funds to state-backed high-speed rail projects.

There's scant evidence that Ottawa sees the long-term implications of these developments. They suggest the possibility of continental high-speed rail networks linking populous urban mega-regions in the two countries.

Last year, the Harper government managed to rouse itself to fund a third of the cost of updating a feasibility study on high-speed rail in the Quebec City-Windsor corridor (Ontario and Quebec picked up the balance). The results have yet to be made public, and there's nothing to indicate they have much interest in an idea that is still associated with former Liberal cabinet minister David Collenette.

In Alberta, meanwhile, a consortium led by retired banker Bill Cruickshank has lobbied Alberta to consider a privately operated high-speed rail link between Edmonton and Calgary, to be financed through a proposed partnership between the consortium and public backers. Alberta Premier Ed Stelmach made positive noises about the plan, but has refused to release the results of a market assessment conducted in 2007. As Mr. Cruickshank notes, "If the government said it wouldn't work, I'm sure they would have told us."

High-speed rail, as Mr. Cruickshank argues, is tailor-made for public-private partnerships. Such train networks are extremely capital intensive and therefore depend on public financing to get going. But as a transportation service that competes vigorously with airlines, private operators will bring the necessary marketing savvy, as well as the ability of amortizing capital costs over a long period.

What's clear is that pure private plays don't work, while publicly owned passenger service tends to suffer from a lack of investment. (An exception is Spain, where the state has moved aggressively to build high-speed rail since 1994.)

Earlier attempts to privately develop such networks in Texas and Florida failed because of inadequate financing. In Japan, which originated the bullet trains in the 1960s as a national transportation policy, private firms now run the service.

In much of Europe, state-run rail companies and private investors have a history of collaborating successfully across national borders, the best example being Eurostar, the London-Brussels-Paris high-speed rail service that now commands a 60- to 70-per-cent share of the transportation market among the three cities.

The business proposition is that when customers factor in all the delays associated with flying, high-speed rail becomes a convincingly competitive option, in both price and time. In France, according to California officials, the TGV service between Paris and Marseille saw its market share triple, to 65 per cent, between 2001 and 2006 - a growth trajectory that actually prompted one discount airline to discontinue short-haul service between those cities.

The environmental proposition is simple: High-speed trains are a lot cleaner than planes and cars. As Mr. Cruickshank has calculated, an Edmonton-Calgary line could offset 150,000 tonnes of greenhouse gases each year.

If the recent developments in California do herald the beginning of a new era for 21st century rail in the U.S., Canada desperately needs to insert itself into that conversation, making the case for cross-border service connections and international joint ventures involving private investors.

Mr. Obama will soon be coming to Ottawa - presumably by plane. It's the perfect time to begin the discussion.

All but unnoticed amid the excitement over Barack Obama's election last November, California voters endorsed a highly anticipated ballot proposition to approve raising $9.9-billion (U.S.) in state bonds for the first leg of a high-speed rail line extending from San Diego to San Francisco and Sacramento.

I think it is funny that anyone would take this seriously when California is currently on life-support - has no cash to rebate overpaid taxes (tax refunds) - is closing in on 30+ billion dollar deficit; is one of the highest taxed states; and may have to declare bankruptcy.

Former transport minister to speak at rail symposium

Record staff

Kitchener

Former federal transport minister David Collenette will speak Saturday, Jan. 31, at a symposium on prospects for high-speed rail in Ontario and Quebec. The free event is being held from noon to five p.m. at regional council headquarters, 150 Frederick St. in Kitchener. It includes advocates of high-speed rail and representatives of firms that build the technology. Seating is limited. Register to attend at www.highspeedrail.ca. Collenette left politics in 2004 and is now at York University.

Given a completely grade separated line with few bends or turns, would speeds reaching or exceeding 300km/h still be possible through urban areas? I'm thinking specifically about Brampton and Guelph in this case.

^^ Just build the line to bypass minor urban areas such as Guelph and Brampton (which by itself is small). The tracks do not necessarily need to enter them in order to provide service to those areas.

Op/Ed from the industry (give us money too!)

THUNDER BAY, ON - January 20, 2009 - The Railway Association of Canada - It should be no surprise to see Canada's railways back on the public agenda. Momentous change in the world economy over the last number of years has produced a transformation for the sector not seen since the Second World War. Increased global trade has propelled growth. Increased environmental concern has highlighted the virtues of rail as the greenest of transportation modes. And now a global economic crisis and the need for economic stimulus have many talking about major transportation infrastructure investments that include rail.

Canada's railways are a vital enabler of economic activity in Canada and play a major role in communities across Canada. Our national freight railways, commonly viewed as among the most efficient in the world, carry 75 per cent of Canada's surface bound goods while more and more businesses choose rail as their preferred mode of transportation. Passenger rail is now experiencing unprecedented double digit growth rates, moving more than 68 million passengers annually as more and more people choose to avoid congested highways. Further, Canada is fortunate to have a well established, world class railway supply industry employing many Canadians in large and small communities throughout the country.

Much of the recent public discourse on rail investment has been focused on high speed passenger rail - a highly ambitious goal that must be pursued. Receiving less attention is desperately needed short term investment in identified rail infrastructure projects that will provide immediate stimulus to the economy, create jobs for Canadians, support railway parts manufacturing, and ensure a platform for future economic growth. There are many rail infrastructure projects across the country that are ready to move now which will help our economy rebound from the current crisis.

The freight railways have identified a number of infrastructure projects, including road/rail grade separations primarily located in Ontario and Québec that require funding partnerships with the federal and provincial governments. Grade separations significantly improve the safety and fluidity of the road network, resulting in meaningful public benefits. Further, a well defined proposal is on the table to support the upgrading of infrastructure for Ontario's Short Lines, those smaller railways that service the province's industrial and manufacturing heartland including mining, agriculture and forestry.

Rail supplier investment would also help offset some declines in the automotive sector, given that skills in the two industries are readily transferable and located within the same manufacturing clusters throughout Canada. This is the time to make these crucial investments to create jobs and promote economic development. Most importantly, with the need for immediate economic stimulus, work can begin right away, benefiting domestic suppliers and employing Canadians.

The growth of passenger rail in Canada has been nothing short of spectacular; and with growth comes demand for increased capacity. Capacity can be met in two ways: by putting more locomotives and passenger cars on the track, and increasing the track capacity itself. Canadian-based manufacturers have the ability to supply the required rolling stock and track components for passenger rail-service providers. Unlike most other industrialized nations which give preference to domestic suppliers for their public investment, no such provision exists in Canada. This is an area that the federal government must address to ensure that public funds are used to stimulate the domestic economy and our Canadian manufacturers first.

Each and every one of us in the rail industry want to see the day when high speed rail service becomes a reality in Canada. However, high speed rail should not overshadow the immediate infrastructure needs of Canada's railways and the benefits such infrastructure work will provide to individual Canadians, domestic suppliers and manufacturers and the overall Canadian economy. The rail industry is well positioned to partner with governments, to put shovels in the ground immediately and assist in moving the economy in the right direction.

Last edited:
A Toronto - Montreal HSR could be a start...

Everyone: I was reading recent posts in this topic and I was thinking:

Why not make the CN Line the designated VIA Rail HSR corridor and upgrade the paralleling CP line to be the major freight line between Toronto and Montreal for the 335 miles of rail lines between them?

This would make sense and may be the best of both rail lines-one for passenger rail and one designated for freight service.

Perhaps extensions to places like London could be built-also a HSR line that runs via Ottawa on a new ROW could be considered.

Did I miss any prudent information posted previously? If so-please direct me there.

Thoughts on HSR from Long Island Mike

Last edited:
Former transport minister to speak at rail symposium

Record staff

Kitchener

Former federal transport minister David Collenette will speak Saturday, Jan. 31, at a symposium on prospects for high-speed rail in Ontario and Quebec. The free event is being held from noon to five p.m. at regional council headquarters, 150 Frederick St. in Kitchener. It includes advocates of high-speed rail and representatives of firms that build the technology. Seating is limited. Register to attend at www.highspeedrail.ca. Collenette left politics in 2004 and is now at York University.

Also representatives from Siemens and Alstom will be there, so will Del Mastro, along with Transport 2000 folks

Everyone: I was reading recent posts in this topic and I was thinking:

Why not make the CN Line the designated VIA Rail HSR corridor and upgrade the paralleling CP line to be the major freight line between Toronto and Montreal for the 335 miles of rail lines between them?

This would make sense and may be the best of both rail lines-one for passenger rail and one designated for freight service.

Perhaps extensions to places like London could be built-also a HSR line that runs via Ottawa on a new ROW could be considered.

Did I miss any prudent information posted previously? If so-please direct me there.

Thoughts on HSR from Long Island Mike

I'd love to see that happen, but it will not unless the entire railway industry is nationalized and divided into European-like state-run conglomerates. Short of the financial crisis pushing CN and CP to the brink of bankruptcy, it doesn't seem very likely.

There's an abandoned rail corridor that leads from Brockville in an almost straight line to Ottawa, which could be revived with HSR.

Not too steer the discussion too far away from HSR but I think that freight companies should actually be left in the hands of private operators. Now as far as track ownership goes, that is different, and I think all rail lines should be owned, maintained and managed by a government agency, much in the same manner as highways. There of course would be some exceptions for smaller branch lines or service too more remote areas, but at least major lines would be publicly owned.

As far as who operates the freight services, I think there is a much better chance that advances in technology and efficiency would be made by private operators as opposed to a public operator.

Either way, it is very encouraging to see so much discussion going on about passenger and freight rail services. Change won't be overnight, but I do feel very confident that 10 years down the road we will be seeing a lot of very large and important projects underway as a big shift in how people view rail in Canada seems to be taking place.

My only hope is that it can actually be injected with youthful, innovative thinking and ideas and not just taken up by boring bureaucrats or those with ideas from many, many decades ago.

^ Yeah, I see centralized track ownership and maintenance making a lot of sense, with private freight and passenger companies paying per movement. Perhaps make it a semi-private body similar to GTAA.

I could also see the private rail companies being open to the idea, as it would move a whole lot of assets off their balance sheets.

^^^^ I agree to all the above, it's such a pain for, for example, VIA or GO to run their services adequately since CN or CP owns everything. Hopefully they'll buy some back, there was an article about that earlier.

On the topic of CN, is it really doing that well as a private venture??? I mean safety-wise, they had dozens of derailments, some of them fatal, and most of them spilling hazardous waste. Then later when it bought BC Rail, it used cars designed for the Prairies on the high mountain passes, resulting in even more derailments. There has been an inquiry by the government for months now, but nothing is being done.

Now that I think about it, privatization of gov't owned companies has gone horribly wrong in Canada. After all, Air Canada went bankrupt right after privatization. Potash Corp. was privatized and then it struggled, and then it held back supply of potash to keep prices high, and is now valued at almost $63 billion.

It's funny how Saskatchewan actually created so many crown corporation, its surreal. I really do applaud them, because water and power are essential to survival, and should never be in the hands of private corporations.

One question though, while reading all this, it said Hydro One was a private company, but wholly owned by the Ontario Government. Isn't that a crown corporation, what is the difference??

Back