News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Well, believe it or not, that is what the vast majority of the country that never travels between Tor-Ott-Mtl will think when the government takes on 20+ billion in debt to pay for this.
Well, I might defend you on finances, I don't really think that's a fare statement. Ontario has come out with almost $20-billion in MoveOntario 2020 to pay for GTA transit, without even a hic-cup from the rest of the province. And the amount paid to rescue dead car Ontario companies is astounding, with little comparable benefit. I think it could sell.

I also challenge the "vast majority of the country that never travels between Tor-Ott-Mtl". Based on 2006 census data, over 1/4 of the country lives in the greater Toronto area (Greater Golden Horseshoe population is 8,102,163 of Canada's 31,612,897). Add in 1,451,415 for the National Capital Region and 3,868,831 for Greater Montreal, and you have 42% of the population right there. And that's before you start counting other nearby cities that would also benefit such as Kingston, Quebec City, London, Windsor, etc.

I don't think it's fair to characterize the 58% of the country that doesn't live near Toronto, Ottawa, or Montreal as the "vast majority of the country"; particularly as personally, I know a lot of people who live in Vancouver who travel between Ottawa, Montreal, and Toronto frequently (and often by train, as their car is parked in Vancouver!).

I really don't think that these extreme statements (on either side) make for a healthy dialogue.

Actually, the 1995 tripartite study concluded that revenues would pay back the capital costs.

I find that incredibly difficult to believe. Can you provide a link to this? Using a flat payment schedule and assuming a 3% interest rate over the system's 60 year lifespan (as per the Lynx Consortium's proposal) that would imply the principal is paid down at an approximate rate of 720m dollars per year, over and above operating costs. I am unaware of any system on earth that generates that kind of profit. I don't even know how many systems generate a profit.

I'm quite shocked to hear that ... I don't disbelieve you ... but I certainly have to wonder about that study. I don't think that either of the VIA Rail studies concluded that.

Hmm, wasn't this the same timeframe as the studies that showed that the Channel Tunnel and HS1 would both pay back their costs ... which both lead to the bankruptcy of the "company" holding the bag.
The Channel Tunnel is a far cry from a fairly straighforward HSR project that would have few, if any, tunnels. A better comparison would be the first TGV line in France. The 1995 study is the most comprehensive done to date for Windsor-Quebec. It concluded that by 2005 the system would have $805 million in annual revenues and $321 million in operating costs, for a profit of $484 million (1993 dollars). By 2025 the annual profit was expected to rise to $978 million.

http://bernardoanderson.com/tce.pdf

Well, believe it or not, that is what the vast majority of the country that never travels between Tor-Ott-Mtl will think when the government takes on 20+ billion in debt to pay for this. And, as nfitz said, to suggest that a 20+b dollar public project doesn't constitute a subsidy is beyond ridiculous. If reality sounds like a Toronto Sun headline to you, then that's probably an indication that this isn't the PR cakewalk you imagine it is.

Anybody who knows anything about polling doesn't take question like 'do you support x' seriously. The only relevant question, from a National Unity point of view, is 'do you support paying for someone else to receive HSR'. I suspect the majority of Canadians have a positive or somewhat positive view of kittens.
Anyone who knows anything about polling knows that your question is leading and would give you unreliable results. It's the kind of question you find on political party mailouts. Your question makes as much sense as asking "do you support HSR that would make $1 billion in profit every year". To get reliable poll results you have to ask questions that are as impartial as possible.

To get reliable poll results you have to ask questions that are as impartial as possible.
One also has to remember that not only does the vast majority of Canadians live in Ontario and Quebec (ironically, the former Province of Canada), but also that many Canadians from outside that area also travel in/between these cities.

Though surely regional concerns are why in the early 1980s the federal government insisted that Edmonton-Calgary be added to VIA's high-speed rail study.

Yeah, I have to question those annual revenue numbers. They seem optimistic. Say at $250 for a round-trip ticket ... that's about 8-million 1-way trips.

Last edited:
Getting the poll results desired is all in the asking...

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Mr. Woolley, are you worried about the rise in crime among teenagers?

Bernard Woolley: Yes.

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Do you think there is lack of discipline and vigorous training in our Comprehensive Schools?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Do you think young people welcome some structure and leadership in their lives?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Do they respond to a challenge?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Might you be in favour of reintroducing National Service?

Bernard Woolley: Er, I might be.

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Yes or no?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Of course, after all you've said you can't say no to that. On the other hand, the surveys can reach opposite conclusions.
Mr. Woolley, are you worried about the danger of war?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Are you unhappy about the growth of armaments?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Do you think there's a danger in giving young people guns and teaching them how to kill?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Do you think it's wrong to force people to take arms against their will?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Would you oppose the reintroduction of conscription?

Bernard Woolley: Yes. [does a double-take]

Sir Humphrey Appleby: There you are, Bernard. The perfectly balanced sample.

Wow, you should write headlines for the Toronto Sun. Seeing as HSR between Toronto and Montreal is forecast to have an operating profit and pay for itself, that question would be misleading and highly inaccurate. Any investment the feds make into HSR will have a healthy return. You and Keithz are really overestimating how petty Canadians are.

I would suggest that you might be overly optimistic in how generous Canadians might feel, particularly coming out of a recession which when all is said and done could well add nearly 200 billion in new debt to the various levels of government (combined). All of a sudden 20 billion to benefit only 25% of the population might seem rather steep. I hope I am wrong. But so far, I don't see any reason why I would be....the grumbling from Western premiers about the auto bailout is just the beginning.

The Windsor-Quebec corridor has about 19 million people, or close to 60% of the population of the country.

But in reality, the population of the catchment areas that would benefit from HSR is close to half that (also the number is not 20 million...you can't just add the populations of Ontario and Quebec). Keep in mind that the majority of VIA's passengers today are traveling between Toronto and Ottawa and Montreal. How happy will folks in Belleville, Cobourg, Smith Falls, Brockville, etc. be when they hear about a service that could well cost them rail service all together? Yes, I know there's the argument that you could run parallel services to those communities. However, I doubt the ridership is there to be able to support those services for very long. That's why I am skeptical that the entire population of the corridor would support a project that could well result in diminished service for their communities.

The Channel Tunnel is a far cry from a fairly straighforward HSR project that would have few, if any, tunnels. A better comparison would be the first TGV line in France. The 1995 study is the most comprehensive done to date for Windsor-Quebec. It concluded that by 2005 the system would have $805 million in annual revenues and $321 million in operating costs, for a profit of $484 million (1993 dollars). By 2025 the annual profit was expected to rise to $978 million.

I am always skeptical when people use European stats. Our operating environment is entirely different. If we start with the number of flights today flying between Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal and throw in VIA's rail traffic, I don't see much of a chance of capital recovery. I am sure that the service would be very profitable on operating costs and perhaps recovering the capital costs of the rail equipment itself. But as it stands, if the project were not subsidized on the construction of the rail corridor itself, I think the interest on 20 billion alone could well wipe out whatever profit margin there would be on the project. If the economics of it was any other way, the private sector might well have already see it through.

The European context is very different. There is far more local transit available at the end of your destination (even among the suburban destinations) which means that you don't necessarily need a car when you get there. In our case, we aren't quite there yet (and at the rate we're going it might take a decade or two). Aside from that, in Europe HSR is part of a very built-up rail network of inter-city trains, regional trains, commuter services, etc. We barely have an inter-city service today. I am skeptical about running after we've barely learned to crawl.

Lastly on this point, the Channel Tunnel example is a tad off-base. You can't drive across the Channel. Travelers were always forced to take (relatively) expensive ferrys or flights which both add time and cost. Between the TOM routes there is no such geographic obstacle. Other than a stiff winter storm, there is nothing stopping someone from making it between Toronto and Montreal or Ottawa within 4-5 hrs.

Anyone who knows anything about polling knows that your question is leading and would give you unreliable results. It's the kind of question you find on political party mailouts. Your question makes as much sense as asking "do you support HSR that would make $1 billion in profit every year". To get reliable poll results you have to ask questions that are as impartial as possible.

Or you could ask them if they support a $20 billion dollar rail project even if it will not service their community? I think the polling questions were far too generic. How about telling them what high speed rail is? Then telling them the specific proposals that are a priority for Canada and what they entail... and then asking them the question. I am sure the response would be far less enthusiastic.

Wow, you should write headlines for the Toronto Sun.

We are asking legitimate questions. And I for one support HSR. If you think my questions are hard, wait till you have to explain to someone in Kamloops why 10-15 billion in federal tax dollars are being used to service only three Canadian cities while he gets very little rail service. Better yet, try explaining the concept to a resident of VIA's minor corridor stops like Port Hope, Trenton, Napanee, Gananoque, etc. If the best retort any HSR proponent ever has to any legitimate question is to accuse the questioner of being a Toronto Sun reader (or having potential to be a headline writer at that rag), then the road for HSR is going to far longer than I could ever have imagined.

Last edited:
I have always wondered if a more logical place to start would be 'Medium Speed' rail. I envision an upgrade of the current corridor to max out at around 200 kph wherever possible. Combine that with a few service reductions at logical points such as cutting out Port Hope and Trenton. This would give you non-express trains capable of doing Toronto-Ottawa in say 4 hours. Throw in some passing tracks and express train service and maybe you could get express Toronto-Kingston-Ottawa or Toronto-Kingston-Montreal trains down to about 3 hours (which is certainly competitive with commercial aviation).

Last edited:
The 1995 study is the most comprehensive done to date for Windsor-Quebec. It concluded that by 2005 the system would have $805 million in annual revenues and $321 million in operating costs, for a profit of $484 million (1993 dollars). By 2025 the annual profit was expected to rise to $978 million.

The report concludes what most megaproject reports conclude, that while technically feasible the project is sensitive to variations in discount rates, construction costs and ridership potential and represents a "high financing risk for each party involved". The only situation under which the private operator could repay public investment was assuming a 0% discount rate over 30 years, which is really more of a technicality. Specifically, the system would not be viable if it included costs of capital where "cost of funds would significantly exceed the HSR's projected financial returns, regardless of the considered scenario."

The project didn't conclude that we should build HSR. It recommended governments conduct further with an eye to clarifying the rate of return. The only way their assumptions made sense were assuming a private company "must agree to take on all project risks," so they in turn suggested that the "initiative for the next stage lies with the private sector." I guess the private sector wasn't interested in a low return, high risk multi billion dollar project.

The important issue for discussion here is the 'best case' projected public sector IRR of 3.6%. Is this an acceptable return, or could we do better elsewhere.

(btw, thanks for providing this report, many a google search turned up nothing.)

I have always wondered if a more logical place to start would be 'Medium Speed' rail. I envision an upgrade of the current corridor to max out at around 200 kph wherever possible.

The 1995 Report found that in all circumstances 300kph systems provided better financial returns than 200kph, claiming that both would require an entirely new system with minimal cost difference between the two. Using the standard federal discount rate, the only route they found to be viable was a 300km/h route between Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal (and not further to QC or Windsor). Though the report I read for the Cal-Edm proposal, the opposite was the case. The report argued that a 200km/h diesel system would be more efficient.

I would like to see the report for 3b Via Fast proposal by David Collenette. I suspect that this would be closest to what you imagine as a sort of '75% solution' to HSR.

As I have said before, I still see no reason why the province could not get the ball rolling on its own. Since the project is so important to some, shouldn't they also be be pressing Dalton to do something about it? How about he get the ball rolling on the Toronto-Ottawa portion? It's only about 10-12 billion bucks.

Yeah, I have to question those annual revenue numbers. They seem optimistic. Say at $250 for a round-trip ticket ... that's about 8-million 1-way trips.
Ridership was forecast at 11.9 million for the whole corridor, and 6.6 million for the Toronto-Montreal portion. That was for 2005, the first year, and expected to grow significantly from there.

But in reality, the population of the catchment areas that would benefit from HSR is close to half that (also the number is not 20 million...you can't just add the populations of Ontario and Quebec). Keep in mind that the majority of VIA's passengers today are traveling between Toronto and Ottawa and Montreal. How happy will folks in Belleville, Cobourg, Smith Falls, Brockville, etc. be when they hear about a service that could well cost them rail service all together? Yes, I know there's the argument that you could run parallel services to those communities. However, I doubt the ridership is there to be able to support those services for very long. That's why I am skeptical that the entire population of the corridor would support a project that could well result in diminished service for their communities.
Yes, the population of southern Ontario and Quebec is in the 18-19 million range. The cities that would be served by HSR are about 13 million, not including nearby cities like Hamilton, Barrie, etc. That's easily 15 million people who'd directly benefit from HSR in the Corridor.

The European context is very different. There is far more local transit available at the end of your destination (even among the suburban destinations) which means that you don't necessarily need a car when you get there. In our case, we aren't quite there yet (and at the rate we're going it might take a decade or two). Aside from that, in Europe HSR is part of a very built-up rail network of inter-city trains, regional trains, commuter services, etc. We barely have an inter-city service today. I am skeptical about running after we've barely learned to crawl.
Ah yes, the classic “we’re not Europe” argument. You’re making it sound like European cities are on some whole other plane of existence. They’re not. When it comes to the things you mention – density, transit, etc. – Toronto and Montreal are closer to European cities than to most American cities. When it comes to Toronto, GO Transit would likely be the most important feeder for HSR, and that’s getting major expansion regardless. Even VIA Rail has had steady ridership increases since the 90s. Besides, these things are all taken into account in the high speed rail studies.

Or you could ask them if they support a $20 billion dollar rail project even if it will not service their community? I think the polling questions were far too generic. How about telling them what high speed rail is? Then telling them the specific proposals that are a priority for Canada and what they entail... and then asking them the question. I am sure the response would be far less enthusiastic.
I wouldn’t be so sure. Going by the questions it could be that the pollsters did tell people about the specific proposal. For example: “Would you support, somewhat support, somewhat oppose, or oppose government funding the complete high speed rail project?” That seems to suggest that there’s a specific project that they’re asking about.

I have always wondered if a more logical place to start would be 'Medium Speed' rail. I envision an upgrade of the current corridor to max out at around 200 kph wherever possible. Combine that with a few service reductions at logical points such as cutting out Port Hope and Trenton. This would give you non-express trains capable of doing Toronto-Ottawa in say 4 hours. Throw in some passing tracks and express train service and maybe you could get express Toronto-Kingston-Ottawa or Toronto-Kingston-Montreal trains down to about 3 hours (which is certainly competitive with commercial aviation).
The problem is grade crossings and the freight companies. Trains can only go so fast before grade separation is needed. And as long as VIA has to use CN track, then it doesn’t matter how fast the trains go, they’ll always have to stop for freight trains and schedules will always be constrained. Once you decide get rid of level crossings and build dedicated passenger track, the costs get so high that you might as well go full high speed. I’d be curious to see how Collenette’s VIA Fast proposal dealt with this.

The report concludes what most megaproject reports conclude, that while technically feasible the project is sensitive to variations in discount rates, construction costs and ridership potential and represents a "high financing risk for each party involved". The only situation under which the private operator could repay public investment was assuming a 0% discount rate over 30 years, which is really more of a technicality. Specifically, the system would not be viable if it included costs of capital where "cost of funds would significantly exceed the HSR's projected financial returns, regardless of the considered scenario."

The project didn't conclude that we should build HSR. It recommended governments conduct further with an eye to clarifying the rate of return. The only way their assumptions made sense were assuming a private company "must agree to take on all project risks," so they in turn suggested that the "initiative for the next stage lies with the private sector." I guess the private sector wasn't interested in a low return, high risk multi billion dollar project.

The important issue for discussion here is the 'best case' projected public sector IRR of 3.6%. Is this an acceptable return, or could we do better elsewhere.

(btw, thanks for providing this report, many a google search turned up nothing.)
There’s a link to the report on highspeedrail.ca. It’s a messy site from a design point of view but it has a lot of information.

That 3.6% is excluding tax revenues. Including tax revenues, it’s 7.1%, and 12.3% for the private sector. A fully public project would have a higher public IRR.

The recommendations stated that since 70-75% of the project would be publicly funded, the governments have to indicate that they will proceed to the next phase. The private sector won’t be willing to put up money unless there’s a government commitment. The recommendations also state that if the conditions couldn’t be satisfied, that the government should revisit the project in 3-5 years. Obviously that didn’t happen.

The 1995 Report found that in all circumstances 300kph systems provided better financial returns than 200kph, claiming that both would require an entirely new system with minimal cost difference between the two. Using the standard federal discount rate, the only route they found to be viable was a 300km/h route between Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal (and not further to QC or Windsor).
The 3 governments agreed on 8%, and at that rate 3 of the 4 options are viable. Even at 10%, the only likely option is still viable. The Mirabel route is irrelevant now that it’s not a passenger airport, and the 200-250 km/h option is unlikely because it costs almost as much as the 300 km/h option for less benefit. We’ll likely see the numbers look better with the updated study, with population growth and more transit investment compared to the mid 90s.

Last edited:
Ridership was forecast at 11.9 million for the whole corridor, and 6.6 million for the Toronto-Montreal portion. That was for 2005, the first year, and expected to grow significantly from there.
What was the modal split in 2025 compared to current?

Something sounds odd to me ... it just doesn't feel right. Perhaps it's their construction cost escalations. What did they use? The CPI for road construction has been close to 10% most years recently.

That 3.6% is excluding tax revenues. Including tax revenues, it’s 7.1%, and 12.3% for the private sector. A fully public project would have a higher public IRR.

Well, think about why I didn't include tax revenues. It doesn't reflect on the actual economic benefits to the public sector. If we paid people to dig and fill holes, the govt would still receive about a 3.5% IRR. I think it goes without saying why digging and filling holes isn't a good use of money, though. If public sector IRR = IRRy+IRRtax, IRRtax will stay relatively consistent from scenario to scenario, leaving the pure public IRR as the best measure of a projects benefits.

Back