News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

img7376.jpg

img7371.jpg

img7368.jpg

img7334.jpg

The gap is almost filled.

img7308.jpg

thx for all the updates this morning, Marcanadian...great pics!......

Typically I associate green with cheep condo glass (it's actually cheaper in some cases). But I find RBC adds a nice touch of color to our skyline ... not sure how anyone can call our skyline gray compared to others in North American or Europe ... it's pretty colourful. This project helps with that too!

2rh085s.jpg

There's definitely still room for a supertall in the core by offing a few under-performers between One University Ave and the Sun Life buildings and/or filling the parking lot next to RBC Dexia. Thanks for the excellent pic, Marcdn. Hope you don't mind me marking it up.

Last edited:
There's definitely still room for a supertall in the core by offing a few under-performers between One University Ave and the Sun Life buildings. Thanks for the pics.

i think the best places for new skyscrapers in the core, particularly for the financial district, are 40 Bay, across the street from the acc, and the massive toronto star parking lot.

There's definitely still room for a supertall in the core by offing a few under-performers between One University Ave and the Sun Life buildings and/or filling the parking lot next to RBC Dexia. Thanks for the excellent pic, Marcdn. Hope you don't mind me marking it up.

I like some of those buildings! :)

How about the extra large podiums of the TD or BMO buildings!

I like some of those buildings! :)

How about the extra large podiums of the TD or BMO buildings!

The northwest corner of King and Bay could definitely use a tall, corner dominating building. It's made painfully clear as one walks up Bay towards that intersection; BMO's podium is just wasting space.

2rh085s.jpg

Amen condovo, amen! I've always considered that area to have supertall potential.

Another area I've always questioned is the area off of Yonge directly east of the financial district (right across from Scotia Plaza). Does the city have a problem developing tall buildings there? Will the shadows be harmful to everyone's well being? Is it inhumane to have shadows appear on ragged concrete surfaces? :confused:

Under-performers? Do you have any idea how utterly ridiculous and financially ruinous tearing down one of those larger office towers would be to construct a major office tower - there are plenty of other easier and well connected sites downtown (such as the parking lot you mentioned). A number of the large towers you marked aren't going anywhere for a long time... and BMO's podium isn't going anywhere either, nor should it.

Under-performers? Do you have any idea how utterly ridiculous and financially ruinous tearing down one of those larger office towers would be to construct a major office tower - there are plenty of other easier and well connected sites downtown (such as the parking lot you mentioned). A number of the large towers you marked aren't going anywhere for a long time... and BMO's podium isn't going anywhere either, nor should it.

I mean BMO's or the Exchange building's podium is 2 stories overall a large area!! Why should it not be a candidate ... I understand your logic regarding the rest of the building.

And I beg to differ about the York Centre at 145 King being an expendable underperformer: it's a good solid 1972-era building and one of the financial district's most underappreciated highrises--and if I'm not mistaken, it was also WZMH's first statement in diagonally bisected form (presaging, among other things, Royal Bank Plaza)

There does seem to be a bit of a fetish here for the tall. I'd like to see a few more super-talls in the central cluster - I want BA2 to be a biggy, and a fabulous biggy too - where they make sense. The Yonge/Bloor area seems like a good place for them too (maybe Yonge/Eglinton and some other subway line clusters). Other than that I could care less. Good architecture doesn't necessarily mean tall architecture and I'm more concerned about the scale of buildings, how they meet the street and how they respond to the urban spaces they inhabit or create.

Back