News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Which builders would you consider as quality builders?

I work in custom residential and my experience with condo builds is limited to ones I have lived in which is to say three.

Two of them I don't even know who built (one is older) and one is by the now-defunct Urbancorp and is rubbish.

As someone in the construction industry, I don't mind telling you that "quality of the units" and "completion time" (by which I'm assuming you mean prompt) are mutually exclusive concepts.

Quality work IS NEVER fast.
Fast work IS NEVER quality.

Oh, I think Completion Time was a poor choice of word, my bad. I meant as in, the estimated time of completion isn't 3 years off. Of course, I understand that unforeseen circumstances (Such as the current global situation) may cause some delay, but developers like Tridel, from what I heard, are of above average quality and generally complete projects within the timeline.

Oh, I think Completion Time was a poor choice of word, my bad. I meant as in, the estimated time of completion isn't 3 years off. Of course, I understand that unforeseen circumstances (Such as the current global situation) may cause some delay, but developers like Tridel, from what I heard, are of above average quality and generally complete projects within the timeline.

Timelines in construction are largely meaningless and any strict adherence to them is cause for suspicion if not alarm.

There are a multitude of unforseen circumstances that can arise, most of which are completely out of anyone's control.
Never mind the shortage of actually skilled labour in Ontario.

I wouldn't trust anyone pushing strict adherence to timelines as it almost always means cut corners and pushing tradespeople too hard, neither one of which is conducive to a quality build, and in the case of pushing workers, is a sign of inhuman greed and selfishness.

Think of timelines and schedules as general guidelines and concepts. :D

The best builders will have them, but they will only use them for forward planning and to have a rough idea of the timing of certain components of the build.

Trust me, I've seen the most elaborate schedules get to the point of being laughable, but the build did not suffer for it. In fact, one could just shift the dates and all was as it should be, without the need to rush things along.

Trust me, it's better this way.

I never understood why anyone would rush the building of a necessity. It's foolish to not have the patience to see a home build through to its best conclusion.

It's a sign of respect for the skill and work involved and that respect is consequently returned. It is mutually beneficial to be diligent.

Last edited:
After living in so many of these condos, majority of them suck and part of it is due to the building code. Doesn't help that the building boom meant that the quality tradespeople became few and far between.

Find an older home and renovate it.

Or an older condo building from 1980's/90's that have solid concrete walls between units if freehold is outside of one's budget/location.

The Alexus (70 Alexander St) built in 2000 is the quietest place I've ever lived. I can hear noise from the common hallway, but nothing from the neighbours. I can hear their shower running when I'm in the adjoining washroom, presumably due to the shared water riser.

Back