8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

allabootmatt

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've been pretty depressed by the news this week, and by much of corresponding discussion here on UT. In the interest of cheering myself up, would love to discuss some of the many GOOD things still going on in our wonderful city, even under Mayor Edsel (who, by the way, I think is headed for a crash and burn that will make even some of his staunchest Council allies reconsider their support). So, herewith some causes for optimism or even happiness I am trying to keep on my mind:

Skyscrapers! The city is undergoing one of the most comprehensive series of changes to its physical landscape ever, and it's almost all for the better. The surging downtown population, meanwhile, is putting Ford and co on the wrong side of demographics.

The waterfront! Real results are finally evident, and there is much more on the way, with rock-solid federal backing. Even the Queens Quay rebuild is going ahead.

The Crosstown! It seems we will finally get rapid transit on Eglinton. I would be shocked if even Hudak messes with it.

The airport link! It isn't perfect but it's long overdue.

Bixi! Enough said.

New streetcars! Knocking on wood here, but I figure Ford would have already tried to cancel these if he really wanted to. When they come they will transform downtown transit if used properly.

The Spadina extension! Any new subway is good news, and one more suburban gravybahn ticked off as we move down the list toward the DRL.

Separated bike lanes! I may be giving Denzil too much credit, but working toward a real, high-spec bike network is a good thing and he should be commended for it, Jarvis notwithstanding.

Sensible councillors! This may, again, be too optimistic, but clearly Ford hasn't convinced everybody to drink the Kool-Aid, as evidenced by his stunning defeats on a number of votes in this week's Council meeting.

Civil society! If there is a silver lining to the Ford era, I think it will be in convincing citizens, businesses, and non-governmental organisations that it isn't wise to rely too heavily on City Hall for leadership. The likes of Chicago have, I think, much more robust private-sector involvement in city-building, and given the amount of money sloshing around TO there's no reason we can't too.

So, what am I missing?

I've been pretty depressed by the news this week, and by much of corresponding discussion here on UT. In the interest of cheering myself up, would love to discuss some of the many GOOD things still going on in our wonderful city, even under Mayor Edsel (who, by the way, I think is headed for a crash and burn that will make even some of his staunchest Council allies reconsider their support). So, herewith some causes for optimism or even happiness I am trying to keep on my mind:

Skyscrapers! The city is undergoing one of the most comprehensive series of changes to its physical landscape ever, and it's almost all for the better. The surging downtown population, meanwhile, is putting Ford and co on the wrong side of demographics.

The waterfront! Real results are finally evident, and there is much more on the way, with rock-solid federal backing. Even the Queens Quay rebuild is going ahead.

The Crosstown! It seems we will finally get rapid transit on Eglinton. I would be shocked if even Hudak messes with it.

The airport link! It isn't perfect but it's long overdue.

Bixi! Enough said.

New streetcars! Knocking on wood here, but I figure Ford would have already tried to cancel these if he really wanted to. When they come they will transform downtown transit if used properly.

The Spadina extension! Any new subway is good news, and one more suburban gravybahn ticked off as we move down the list toward the DRL.

Separated bike lanes! I may be giving Denzil too much credit, but working toward a real, high-spec bike network is a good thing and he should be commended for it, Jarvis notwithstanding.

Sensible councillors! This may, again, be too optimistic, but clearly Ford hasn't convinced everybody to drink the Kool-Aid, as evidenced by his stunning defeats on a number of votes in this week's Council meeting.

Civil society! If there is a silver lining to the Ford era, I think it will be in convincing citizens, businesses, and non-governmental organisations that it isn't wise to rely too heavily on City Hall for leadership. The likes of Chicago have, I think, much more robust private-sector involvement in city-building, and given the amount of money sloshing around TO there's no reason we can't too.

So, what am I missing?

Building ramping up for Pan AM? An Aquarium breaking ground soon? Possible Olympics (speculation) Bid? btw: your list is very inspiring and ppl will need to keep pulling this up over the next little to keep reminding themselves.

Toronto is also one of the most progressive cities on earth! Our Gay Pride week is not just on Church St., the whole city is involved with Pride (minus Rob Ford) and that is something other cities can only dream of.

Also, be proud of our greenness, Our city is one of the most green cities when viewed from above. We have tons of parks and parketts that are nice to walk through or relax during a nice day. Also the Toronto Island is a gem. Walk around there for a few hours and you forget that the city is even there. Until of course you go back to the ferries and see the spectacular view of the ever expanding skyline.

Be proud of our people. We are some of the nicest people compared to other major cities. I have traveled to many other cities and countries and encountered many foreigners who are in awe at how friendly we are. Everyone wants to help out when people need directions and will talk to others in the subway or in line at the grocery store just to be friendly. This behavior is something to appreciate and be proud of. Take part in spreading this one too, always help those when you can. It always makes my day when I can give a tourist a tip on where to eat or go. People remember people and when they go home and tell their friends about how nice Toronto was, they'll be thinking of you. It's a nice way to be remembered.

Theses are only a few of the wonderful things that make up our city. I moved here from Thunder Bay two years ago and still love it. There are things that certainly could be improved upon, but as whole, it is wonderful.

Rob Ford will just be a tiny blip on the history of Toronto. Sure, he might do some serious damage but I am sure the city will recover once he's gone and continue in the right direction. We will survive the Fords and hopefully be a little wiser because of it.

As a side note to the waterfront, Lake Ontario is heaps cleaner than it used to be. Several of our beaches have 'blue flag' status, meaning that the quality of the water adheres to strict international standards. I'd also add the ton of festivals/events every weekend, lots of sports teams (no matter how crappy), diverse neighbourhoods, great restaurants, active nightlife, and our dynamic climate.

I can't say "we" because i'm relatively new here, however Toronto has had people against it in the past and continues to thrive.
20 years ago Canada and Toronto were barely a blip on the map, and since then the city had to go through the Harris years and came out stronger than ever.
I have faith that the people of this great city will come together and we will continue on our path with Ford or without him.
We have a great opportunity over the next 5 years. Many major economies are going through tough times, whereas Canada is relatively healthy.

As for our sports teams, i have faith the Jays will be contenders soon.

Food scene - finally on the cusp of getting an Undgerground Market, a food truck scene, pop ups galore, revitalization of 'hoods like Dundas W, Ossington, Bloordale, Roncy, Queen E through new openings of all kinds of goodies, and drawing heavy hitters to our lovely new buildings - first Scarpetta at the Thompson, Momofuko at the Shangri-La, rumors of Daniel Bouloud interested I'm the new Four Seasons...good time to be a foodie in TO, and it's only getting better.

I'm also loving how much more vibrant downtown as a whole is now versus 10, even 5 years ago. I guess with more and more condo dwellers in the core, the city is really on it's way to becoming a thriving 24-hour city. I love TO!

Food scene - finally on the cusp of getting an Undgerground Market, a food truck scene, pop ups galore, revitalization of 'hoods like Dundas W, Ossington, Bloordale, Roncy, Queen E through new openings of all kinds of goodies, and drawing heavy hitters to our lovely new buildings - first Scarpetta at the Thompson, Momofuko at the Shangri-La, rumors of Daniel Bouloud interested I'm the new Four Seasons...good time to be a foodie in TO, and it's only getting better.

I'm also loving how much more vibrant downtown as a whole is now versus 10, even 5 years ago. I guess with more and more condo dwellers in the core, the city is really on it's way to becoming a thriving 24-hour city. I love TO!

With regards to your first point, I think it touches on the whole of retail. The rest of the world has clued in that we have money here, we are willing to spend it on luxury goods and we don't want to have to go to New York to do it.

For the second point, I was walking down York last night and it was great to see Earls very busy at 11pm. That corner has just gone from dead all weekend to alive. The restaurant on the south side appears to be coming along too. I could see most of the kitchen installed through the window.

Be proud of our people. We are some of the nicest people compared to other major cities. I have traveled to many other cities and countries and encountered many foreigners who are in awe at how friendly we are. Everyone wants to help out when people need directions and will talk to others in the subway or in line at the grocery store just to be friendly. This behavior is something to appreciate and be proud of. Take part in spreading this one too, always help those when you can. It always makes my day when I can give a tourist a tip on where to eat or go. People remember people and when they go home and tell their friends about how nice Toronto was, they'll be thinking of you. It's a nice way to be remembered. .

This is really important to me, i met two guys visiting Toronto from Los Angeles one night and they where looking for a place to hang out for the night, i grabbed them a now magazine so they could look up the event listings, and walked with them to king street west and introduced them to my friends that i was meeting up with, they where bewildered that i walked with them and i told them that i was going in that direction anyways that its no big deal but they took it as such a big deal.
Its great to meet new people from other parts of Canada, or the world here in Toronto, and i hope we really continue to create a city thats inclusive , a city with a developing maturing spirit, we need our soul!

Here at urbantoronto we are experts at criticizing our city. But if you step back a bit from comparing everything to the best in the world and pause for a second from the urge to lament the past which we all inherit...man there are a lot of things going on in this city right now.

Honestly, in the old city of Toronto with which I am familiar, the city is bursting with change around every corner. It's not just buildings or constructions. It's institutions, organizations, residential streets, retail environments, parks, public lands, private lands, festivals etc. I don't think there has ever been a more exciting time to live in this city if you are interested in change. Not all of this change will necessarily be a good thing, but let's save that discussion for elsewhere.

I biked out to the beaches from the city's downtown west end with my friend on saturday and literally we were passing a new park, building, restaurant, city initiative, art piece, store etc. that was not even there 12 months ago faster then I couldn't even begin to scratch the surface of describing the changes taking place.

And my god when we got to the beach people were even swimming in the lake! People, swimming in Lake Ontario! Enough said.

Last edited:
The People(for example, me and GenW fight all the time, but one time I just stopped and he wasn't even mad. I respect that.)
People care. (Can't say the same for Detroit)

Reasons to feel good about Toronto? There are so many reasons, where do I start? It's like that for me this morning ... where do I start? I will have to make a return visit to this post.

I am a true ambassador for Toronto, and have recently shown several out-of-towners the town, on foot. The reaction has universally been "you have a very great city here". I'll have to come back later and tell you all just exactly why and how it is already a great city. Needn't neurotically compare ourselves to Chicago or elsewhere anymore -- it's not all about skyscrapers, kids.

I've nothing to add due to lack of time but I feel better after reading the posts on this page given all the negative crap last week which really got me down.

So the Queen's Quay roadwork and re-alignment of the streetcars has been approved? I missed this.

Reasons to feel good about Toronto? There are so many reasons, where do I start? It's like that for me this morning ... where do I start? I will have to make a return visit to this post.

I am a true ambassador for Toronto, and have recently shown several out-of-towners the town, on foot. The reaction has universally been "you have a very great city here". I'll have to come back later and tell you all just exactly why and how it is already a great city. Needn't neurotically compare ourselves to Chicago or elsewhere anymore -- it's not all about skyscrapers, kids.

So true. One of my favourite things to do is show out of town friends the city. Canadians tend to lose their misconceptions of Toronto pretty quickly when on a walk with me. You have no idea how many times I have heard from people in Ottawa: "I don't want to go to Toronto because it's so dirty, it's too big, there are too many immigrants (!!!), I'll get shot" I have actually felt more in danger in Ottawa than I ever have in Toronto, but not to digress - I recently had a friend visiting from Belgium.. He loved the city and understood why I always bragged about it during our exchange year in Spain.

I've nothing to add due to lack of time but I feel better after reading the posts on this page given all the negative crap last week which really got me down.

So the Queen's Quay roadwork and re-alignment of the streetcars has been approved? I missed this.

Yes. Apparently it is being allowed to go ahead under the radar, or so said Steve Munro in his recent rundown of the July TTC Commission meeting.

Back