News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

A lot really depends on what kind of neighbors you have.

If you are sensitive to noise you might want to avoid certain brand new buildings and certain neighborhoods (i.e. CityPlace) where there are a high-number of young renters living.

In my experience, older buildings in mature neighborhoods are more likely to be owner-occupied and have long-term residents. Owners generally care about where they live and are more considerate of their neighbors than renters. I live in a 17 year old boutique condo (smaller building) with a mix of residents ranging from young couples to actual seniors. I have never had to deal with a sub-woofers, loud music, parties, or even hallway noise. Knock on wood, everyone seems very considerate and quiet.

A penthouse is a good strategy if you can afford it. However you will still likely hear some level of noise. Even if you are on the penthouse, you will hear impact noises from units beside you traveling through the floorplate into your unit. You may also have to deal with mechanical noise. But generally these are noises you should be able to get used to.

Last edited:
If you're planning on getting a penthouse, whether it is the high-end Trump Tower International or a more reasonable place like Infinity Condos, noise probably won't be a problem. If it is, be sure to address the noisy neighbours as soon as their noise becomes an inconvenience.

Noise from neighbours probably won't be a problem but pay close attention to the layout of mechanical systems on the roof. Energy is cheaper overnight (natural gas included for some wholesale contracts) and some systems prime for the next day during that night. Motors vibrate, chillers can make alot of noise on hot nights, hot water tanks might vibrate pipes or make clanging noises as they prepare for the morning shower period, etc.

Some buildings are better than others but beware that mechanical noises can vary significantly between seasons. Elevator motors are the worst in my opinion because they're very random.

Thankfully, penthouses usually have really high ceilings and you could install 6" of sound suppression foam.

No such thing as a quiet condo...all depends on your neighbors....but if your buying a more mature condo project that isnt near any transit lines which is a must for renters than you reduce the chance its a student party hotbed location.The most important thing is security and the way they deal with noise complaints.

Back