News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I believe it got cut to 20 storeys
Thanks. At the time I figured it was a negotiating tactic to make some bureaucrat at City Planning feel vindicated and useful. That corner should be less than 10 storeys to match the other frontage along Gerrard St. However Daniels Corp said at the time they need more units now to recoup the RGI units, so asked for 40 storeys knowing they'll get 20.

I'm sure this has been asked/answered before, but what's the tl;dr of why they can't keep at least some of those mature trees?

It is a shame to see so many of the trees gone. Looking at the planning reports, it appears that most of them simply can't be kept due to the fact that the pattern of development is so radically different from what existed before. TCHC did do an arborist's report (with maps here and here), and there is a plan to preserve a small number of the existing mature trees. Otherwise, there is a pretty ambitious tree planting plan.

I personally believe we should preserve one building (or at least part of one). Even if it's kept as an empty shell. As bad as they are, Regent Park and these crusty tenement buildings are still an important part of our city's history. With their grassy lawns, and mature trees, some of these 3s brown brick buildings don't look so bad at times. Obviously it's a bit too late, but if it's at all possible one should be kept IMO.

It is odd that today we have a nice row of mature trees along the south side of Gerrard St. and that we want to replace that with a wall of condos, and somehow that's progress.

Meanwhile, if I want to rebuild my porch I have to erect a TPZ. http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...nnel=470bdada600f0410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

Well, it is progress. Are you suggesting what was there before was in any way preferable to what is being developed? Which isn't really "a wall of condos". I agree Regent Park had some lovely older trees. But something has to give. It will again have a lovely tree canopy.

If your property was being completely redeveloped, the City would likely accommodate necessary tree removal as long as it was accompanied by a vigorous tree planting plan, as they do on sites throughout Toronto. But you're not redeveloping your property - you're replacing your porch. And as long as the tree is staying, it should be protected. I don't see any inconsistency. TCHC and Daniels will also be required to install tree protection zones around the mature trees that are staying, as does every developer.

44eb6514-a923-4f86-88b5-6d0666d4fa40_zpshrkxbblo.jpg

b44f0c98-7fec-4c99-a741-7aae4d8ab9d8_zpsv7uhshhr.jpg

f70c01a8-d01a-451a-ba2a-840eb8a1305f_zpsbswkx1cq.jpg

f0981354-3f39-4415-9c41-a4d516c13538_zpssuykzxb2.jpg

Last edited:
Any chance that those crumby apartments in the top right corner of the first photo, in the previous post, will be demolished?

Do you mean the Oak Heights ones on the east side of River?

If so, then no, I don't believe so, but there is an application in to add another tower on greenspace in amongst them. I believe that plans comes complete with plans to renovate (at least one of) the adjacent ones.

Do you mean the Oak Heights ones on the east side of River?

If so, then no, I don't believe so, but there is an application in to add another tower on greenspace in amongst them. I believe that plans comes complete with plans to renovate (at least one of) the adjacent ones.

Yes. That whole site needs a clean slate. Someone should hire Andy Dufresne to chisel them to the ground with a rock hammer.

Construction (and demolition) crews are going gangbusters these days.... Phase Three well underway.

Rubble to the north of Dundas St....

Regent Park Three1.jpg
Regent Phase Three2.jpg
Regent Phase Three3.jpg
Regent Phase Three4.jpg

Rebirth to the south of Dundas...

Regent Phase Three5.jpg
Regent Phase Three6.jpg
Regent Phase Three7.jpg

The new east-west street just south of Dundas from where the new town homes are getting ready to sprout up...

Regent Phase Three8.jpg

Attachments

• Regent Park Three1.jpg
    Regent Park Three1.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 1,134
  • Regent Phase Three2.jpg
    Regent Phase Three2.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 1,149
  • Regent Phase Three3.jpg
    Regent Phase Three3.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 1,143
  • Regent Phase Three4.jpg
    Regent Phase Three4.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 1,136
  • Regent Phase Three5.jpg
    Regent Phase Three5.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 1,145
  • Regent Phase Three6.jpg
    Regent Phase Three6.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 1,175
  • Regent Phase Three7.jpg
    Regent Phase Three7.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 1,119
  • Regent Phase Three8.jpg
    Regent Phase Three8.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 1,142
Last edited:
My Grandmother Shirley Markell lived at 150 River Street from the time I was born in April of 1974 to the spring of 1989. I have a lot of good memories in this building. Everything from sleepovers, breakfasts cooked on a gas stove. Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving dinners, to birthday parties. I can say the building wasn't the best. It stunk, dirty, grimy. Glad to see the building go, but the memories remain.

Back