8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

TOreality

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have a question. I'm sure I know the answer, which is I'll have to suck it up, but I'm going to ask anyways and who knows..

For the past 3 - 4 months, the building directly across from mine (Gloucester street) has been renovating the balconies. It has been a very aggravating project for me and the residents on the south side of my building. It started with endless jackhammering and now there's constantly some kind of drilling, hammering, etc, ALL Day long. It starts at 7 and goes right to 5 sometimes even to 6pm. I kinda have been able to deal with it since it started because all my windows and balcony door have been kept shut, but I would really like to take advantage of the nice weather and get some fresh air in my place. As soon as I open anything, the noise is BRUTAL and there's concrete dust and a disgusting stink from it coming into my place.

I know it's not bad for most people because they are probably in school or work 9-5, but I work afternoon. I go to work when they are finishing and when the start is my "middle of the night".

Is there any kind of law that enables people to do something about it? How is it fare to pay the entire and ridiculous amount of rent I pay when I cant even enjoy my apartment for the better part of the day. The rent is already about 300 dollars to much per month for what this place is and right now, during this construction, I would say it's probably about 600 dollars a month too much. It's like I'm living in an industrial sector right now.

Anyways, thought I'd ask and see what others think. like I said, I'm sure I'll have to suck it up for what it seems like will take then 20 years to finish.

Me thinks someone lives at 33 Isabella :)

It's probably going to last about 4-5 months all told but your going through the worst part right now which is jack-hammering out all the concrete that needs to be repaired & replaced. I don't think you have any claim here except possibility one but you could call "The Federation of Metro Tenants' Associations" - Google it if your interested. The only thing I believe you might have a claim on is about them working in a residential area on Saturdays. If you call the Federation of Metro Tenants ask them, or you could call the City's 3-1-1 service and they will direct you to the appropriate department to ask this question. If that building on Gloucester was a rental they could get together and go before the Tribunal and probably get a settlement but it's a co-op so they're not covered under the Tenant Protection Act. I feel for you, I lived through this in the building that was being jack-hammered for 10 months at 40 Alexander back around 1998 and it nearly put me into the hospital. I work until midnight - 1am, go to bed around 3 and sleep late so I know how awful this is.

Years ago I moved into a gorgeous apartment building in another city and low and behold, a month later they started doing exact same thing to my building! I was rather pissed, having made certain I had a unit with the best balcony view.... Of course they finished the damn thing just in time for October. :( (The worst part about it was I worked night shift, so I slept all day as they jack hammered away. Very unhealthy.) Zero compensation btw.

Yeah,unless there's a provision in your lease for a rebate due to inconvenience etc. you're not entitled to any compensation.

Years ago I moved into a gorgeous apartment building in another city and low and behold, a month later they started doing exact same thing to my building! I was rather pissed, having made certain I had a unit with the best balcony view.... Of course they finished the damn thing just in time for October. :( (The worst part about it was I worked night shift, so I slept all day as they jack hammered away. Very unhealthy.) Zero compensation btw.

We had just sold our condo on Bay Street and were waiting for the Alexis to be finished so we moved into a temporary apartment on Alexander Street for nearly a year. A month later they nailed the balcony doors shut and the job began. We raised a big fuss because no one told us that we were walking into this and the landlord (I won't mention them but it's not hard to figure out) gave us free first and last month but kept our deposit until we moved out. This was a two bedroom which are a little pricey considering heat/air cond. & hydro are not included in the rent. The noise still sucked but we felt like we had been compensated very fairly and we even got a letter of apology and a gift basket which was very cool of them.

gave us free first and last month but kept our deposit until we moved out. This was a two bedroom which are a little pricey considering heat/air cond. & hydro are not included in the rent. The noise still sucked but we felt like we had been compensated very fairly and we even got a letter of apology and a gift basket which was very cool of them.

That's not bad at all. It's kind of a different situation in my case though because it's not my building doing the construction so who knows if they will compensate at all. It's pretty much my building though. There close enough. Especially when the workers are directly across my unit, they are within a stones throw. I will say though that this is really starting to get on my last nerve. I'm going to speak with the management company because this is just too much. It should be mandatory that there is some sort of compensation for this because there is NO way to enjoy living in your place with this going on. Ear plugs don't come close to making a difference and there is nothing you can do about the dust from it. If they don't feel like a deal is fair, then I'm going to fight for there to be no penalty on breaking the lease and move out asap.

It's kind of a different situation in my case though because it's not my building doing the construction so who knows if they will compensate at all.

So just to be clear, you are expecting compensation from the presumably private company that owns your building for the impact on you of presumably legal (complying with city noise and construction bylaws) work being done on a different building not even owned by them or in any way connected?

Wouldn't the building actually doing the construction be a more appropriate candidate to ask for compensation?

Yeah, I spoke with someone today and was advised the only thing they are in violation of is the concrete dust. She said it should be contained within 8 or so feet of their workspace, which it does not. She also said if anyone was to compensate it would be the building doing the construction, however, in some cases with the buildings in such close proximety, she did say that the building NOT doing the construction has been known to do something for their tenants but that is rare. Usually it happens with a small building and obviously a landlord that cares about how their tenants are enjoying their place of residense. Several other tenants are quite upset about it, so who know. I know its not our buildings fault, and there are a couple tenants with-holding rent (which will probably just get them in hot water), again, at no fault of our building, but when you listen to this crap all day long, it really gets to you mentally and you just start getting upset with anyone. Its a really brutal thing to have to go through.

Last edited:
The garage in my building is being restored as we speak, they are in week #5 - 35 weeks to go. I'm on the 24th floor and the drilling wakes me up all the way up here at 7:30 am so I can sympathize plus as I noted above I've been through this before with a building's balcony restoration which admittedly was much worse. Speaking of dust we got a letter a couple of days ago telling us some lockers are full of dust and the landlord is washing their hands of it. Can you believe that? Here's a copy & paste of what they wrote:

Re: Locker Rooms

March 22, 2010

Dear Residents,

Please be advised that due to the restoration of the underground garage, dust has infiltrated certain locker rooms.

We remind you that locker rooms are to be used for inexpensive items that tenants store at their own risk and ******** is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged items.

Should you have any questions pertaining to this regard, please contact the management office at (416) xxx-xxxx.

Sincerely,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Management

This after 13 floods (that I know of) in six locker rooms in 2009. Bottom line, never rent from an REIT!

Last edited:

Back