9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Bill S

Member Bio
Reaction score
In North York Centre, much of the existing post-war housing stock, especially, which straddles Yonge, is being replaced by condo developments and other forms of highly-dense forms of development. While that is well known, what I find interesting is the manner in which these developments are overriding the area's existing street grid causing great modification to the area's landscape.

The Beacroft Rd. extension documented here is a dramatic example of this. Basically, Beacroft Rd, like Doris Ave. is "laid out" sort of as a perimeter to North York Centre, "making out" the extent of the high-density "suburban downtown". Last summer I noticed that Beacroft Rd. is in the process of being extended northward into direct confrontation with the existing post-war neighbourhood.

This image shows the approximate path of the extension
picture.php

On Wednesday, I set out, on my bike, to document this area. What I found was a particularly interesting derelict residential landscape of soon to be demolished homes that lie in the path of the new road.

Finch Ave. W looking toward Yonge
picture.php

Beacroft Rd. will be laid between the edge this post-war neighbourhood (thus sparing it) and The high-rise condos adjacent to Yonge St.
picture.php

Here we can see construction already underway to build the new street at the foot of the "suburban downtown's" condos
picture.php

This pic captures the contrast between the area's original landscape and the recent "suburban downtown" landscape
picture.php

A similarly themed shot, just closer
picture.php

This shows homes that are in the direct path of the road extension. Notice that the closer is "boarded up" on the main floor
picture.php

The front of that house
picture.php

Looking across the street (Hounslow Ave. I think)
picture.php

Some charming details at street level
picture.php

Some more homes on Ellerslie Ave. that sit where the Beacroft Rd. extension will start
picture.php

A wider view. This pics shows the current end of Beacroft Rd., where it curves and becomes Ellerslie, the extension will continue northward directly into the path of those old homes as seen in the above pic.
picture.php

Yes your pics are showing now. Quite interesting. Unlike Mississauga, which has a penchant for destroying it's grid with one hand (Second Line West, Creditview Rd, Derry Rd) but building it with another (Mavis Rd, Confederation Pkwy, Ridgeway).

I feel bad for the cute little homes, but it's pretty cool how they're urbanizing the area.

Get your spelling right (Beecroft).

Interesting how "new" this one looks--makes me wonder about whatever was in the path of the Spadina N of Eglinton...
picture.php

Yes, some McMansions are getting razed to extend Beecroft...which is eventually getting extended to Drewry, by the way. The post-war landscape that is being "protected" is almost unrecognizable on most streets due to monster homes replacing bungalows. The main reason any pre-80s houses are left near Yonge at all is because there's been a "what's the point?" attitude re: McMansionization because for a good 20 years the fate of everything within a block or two of Yonge has been in limbo. Still, the poor sod in the pink brick house there probably got a good 15 or more years in.

Coruscanti: the grid *is* being more or less removed here - not every street will intersect with Beecroft and those that did but no longer will will be cul-de-sacked or 'crescented.' Really, one grid of a higher order is being laid over an older, lower order grid.

Here's the exact planned route of Beecroft, including which properties will bite the dust: http://www.toronto.ca/planning/official_plan/pdf_secondary/8_north_york_centre/ny_centre_8-11.pdf

edit - also, Doris is also nearing completion - there's several vacant lots just south of Finch around the "Mon" ghetto (Monet, Monaco, Mona Lisa, etc.).

edit - also, Doris is also nearing completion - there's several vacant lots just south of Finch around the "Mon" ghetto (Monet, Monaco, Mona Lisa, etc.).

I got a real hardcore condo name: the Monongahela. Maybe they could incorporate a Carnegie library into it...

Back