News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Quite a busy site although still very slowly moving, in my view. Does somebody know why?

2013-10-23 10.21.42.jpg

Attachments

• 2013-10-23 10.21.42.jpg
    2013-10-23 10.21.42.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 990
Its a necessary evil. Having been going to TGH over a year. Parking is $28 a day (or 4hrs). More expensive than parking near the Rogers Center on an event night. Most patients are out of city and their caregivers, family and friends get wacked. Over half the parking is dedicated to hospital employees. The city should allow more parking around hospitals instead of taking it away and encouraging rate increases by fostering scarcity (shortage of supply.) Developers don't mind the restrictions as they get charge even more for the less space. All plays into greed even into taking advantage of sick ones (as an example - overpriced parking near hospitals.) Along with universities, hospital districts are the biggest targets for parking fines.

Its a necessary evil. Having been going to TGH over a year. Parking is $28 a day (or 4hrs). More expensive than parking near the Rogers Center on an event night. Most patients are out of city and their caregivers, family and friends get wacked. Over half the parking is dedicated to hospital employees. The city should allow more parking around hospitals instead of taking it away and encouraging rate increases by fostering scarcity (shortage of supply.) Developers don't mind the restrictions as they get charge even more for the less space. All plays into greed even into taking advantage of sick ones (as an example - overpriced parking near hospitals.) Along with universities, hospital districts are the biggest targets for parking fines.

Just go to Dr. Nick, get a disabled parking placard and you're on easy street! (The free parking / park in no-parking zones privileges given by City of Toronto are abused horribly.)

What I do wish is that they centralize as much as possible vehicular access for the entire hospital row - it's absolutely ridiculous that each and every single one of the hospitals have their own loading docks, lay-bys, ER driveways (I can think of 3 - MSH, TGH, Sick Kids) etc. while patients who are even slightly mobile had to brave the outdoor (and often go across Univ. Ave) to go from one appointment to another. And let's not forget each of these hospitals have to accommodate private vehicles, non-emergency patient transfers, wheelchair vehicles and in some cases shuttlebuses as well. It's one giant clusterf**k that makes absolutely no sense for such a dense and tight urban hospital district.

Like seriously, time for a master plan - centralize patient dropoffs at a some kind of an underground transit terminal, with clear and comfortable wayfinding to each and every one of the hospitals in the area.

AoD

There are actually tunnels between the hospitals already, but I don't know that they're clearly signed. I suspect further expansion in the manner you suggest would be difficult given the subway tunnels. Also, while you might centralize loading, are you saying each hospital shouldn't have its own ER entry?

Wrenkin:

re: Tunnel - yes I know, I have used them, particularly the one across University Avenue between MSH and TGH. These connections are designed with staff and bed-bound patients in mind, not as a circulation route for the general public. In fact, you can't even access that tunnel across University publically.

As to the matter ER entries - I am not convinced why there should be 3 different ERs (okay, I can see the point of Sick Kids having one because they are specialized) in the first place.

AoD

The pit has been filled in with a dirt brought from outside.
Can somebody answer - why would they fill in the pit? I assume we are not getting a parking lot here. We've seen this on other sites, too (1BE).
I would attach a picture but the feature doesn't seem to work for me.

I wonder how long the hammer, shovels and chisels will take to dig the hole since it took almost 2 years to tear down the building?

I wonder how long the hammer, shovels and chisels will take to dig the hole since it took almost 2 years to tear down the building?

Such a contrast to Women's College Hospital: demo of that much larger site took no time at all. Mind you, since the UHN doesn't seem to have a substantive plan for this site (I find it hard to believe that the current proposal is anything but a placeholder), why rush?

This was the worst thing to live besides while it was happening. Every weekday morning at 7am I was greeted by the sounds of jackhammers and the like slowly chiseling away at this thing. Thank goodness this pile is gone.

Back