News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The Spotted Dick on Bloor near Church has closed. I think it was there for about 20 years. I did some quick searching online about the closure but all I could find were dozens or terrible reviews and mentions of temporary closures due to health code violations.
A mouse ran across my foot there once as I used the payphone in the vestibule.

The Bishop and Belcher around the corner is a much more pleasant pub, with better food and beer, so I won't miss the Spotted Dick.

I wonder if that whole building will end up being redeveloped. Peridot closed a couple of years ago and was never leased out.

Wasn't Peridot on Restaurant Makeover? I lived at Bloor and Jarvis for a while and actually remember going to the Greek restaurant predecessor of Peridot.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5C 2V9

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 15 107242 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Jan 22, 2015

Project: Multiple-Use Building Other Proposal

Description: PREPARE EXISTING OFFICE/RETAIL BASE BUILDING UNITS FOR THREE FUTURE RESTAURANTS. ONE RESTAURANT TO BE AT GROUND FLOOR OF 30 STOREY 1 ADELAIDE BUILDING, SECOND TO BE AT CONCOURSE,GROUND & 2ND FLOOR OF THE SAME BUILDING. THIRD RESTAURANT TO TAKE ENTIRE 85-89 YOUNGE STREET BUILDING AND CONCOURESE LEVEL (OVERLAPING INTO 1 ADELIDE ST. E BUILDING

Interesting, this would mean Staples would have to close. It would be unfortunate, there are almost no office supply stores left in the core.

That third restaurant would be huge, huuuuge I tells yuh. Eataly anyone?

We learned a bit about these on the CTBUH Tour (current front page story). There will be four restaurants going in around One Financial Place's open square. The three fountains and other works by Stacey Spiegel that enliven the square, but which are pretty much a hidden gem in town, will end up getting a lot more attention. The square will be reconfigured somewhat, the walls of the buildings will be opened up in many places to allow for lots of patio seating, and heaters will be built in to make al fresco dining comfortable on cooler nights. The fourth restaurant—I believe—will go into the base of 20 Victoria on the east side of the square (but I may have misheard its location). No word on which ones will go in or how soon they'll be open, but I'd be willing to bet it will be 2016 before they're done.

The walls of the Staples section of the building were doors and windows back when it was a McDonalds, and they had outdoor seating then, so it shouldn't be a big job.

We learned a bit about these on the CTBUH Tour (current front page story). There will be four restaurants going in around One Financial Place's open square. The three fountains and other works by Stacey Spiegel that enliven the square, but which are pretty much a hidden gem in town, will end up getting a lot more attention. The square will be reconfigured somewhat, the walls of the buildings will be opened up in many places to allow for lots of patio seating, and heaters will be built in to make al fresco dining comfortable on cooler nights. The fourth restaurant—I believe—will go into the base of 20 Victoria on the east side of the square (but I may have misheard its location). No word on which ones will go in or how soon they'll be open, but I'd be willing to bet it will be 2016 before they're done.

Its interesting to see the evolution of the FD into a all week resto hot-spot. Drake150, Pizzeria Libretto on the west side and the Chase and now this on the East Side... Good stuff!

Interesting. Lettieri doesn't seem to be mastering these more coffee-conscious times, even though they were arguably one of the first in this city. I don't think that location was open more than seven years.

Yeah, all the locations I ever visited (Queen/Spadina, Front East by the St. Lawrence Market, and now this one) have closed. I only know of the one in Yorkville now, though their website still lists a few others. Lettieri seems to occupy a weird niche between the Starbucks crowd and the true indie coffee crowd and have been squeezed out, especially since they seemed to favour really expensive real estate. I have to say I never much liked their coffee, though the pastries were good.

Interesting. Lettieri doesn't seem to be mastering these more coffee-conscious times, even though they were arguably one of the first in this city. I don't think that location was open more than seven years.

The coffee at Lettieri is stale and burnt like Starbucks/Second Cup and nowhere near the quality of most indie cafes, so I really can't imagine that this chain is doing well. A relic of the '90s.

Yeah, all the locations I ever visited (Queen/Spadina, Front East by the St. Lawrence Market, and now this one) have closed. I only know of the one in Yorkville now, though their website still lists a few others. Lettieri seems to occupy a weird niche between the Starbucks crowd and the true indie coffee crowd and have been squeezed out, especially since they seemed to favour really expensive real estate. I have to say I never much liked their coffee, though the pastries were good.

Twenty-two years ago one of my first jobs was as a busboy at his old, original location in Hazelton Lanes. Let's just say that if he's having problems it couldn't have happened to someone more deserving...I've boycotted anything associated with him since (Hero Burgers, etc.) and have always encouraged others to do the same.

Hiro Sushi is boarded up: no info on their website.
Work is continuing on OnePizza

IMG_20150206_141732_1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150206_141732_1.jpg
    IMG_20150206_141732_1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 502

Back