News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What are we down to -- two or three Cultures left in the city? What happened to them?

There is a hidden Cultures in 200 King West....horrible location (as you have to know it is there to know it is there) on the west side of the building. Run by a family that really put their heart and sole into it and make everyone feel welcome......you get the best of both worlds there, chain restaraunt consistency and small local resto treatment!

There is really only one serious burrito player...CHIPOTLE...Yonge and Dundas, excellent food quality, efficiency and consistency. When they get rolling across the GTA look out.

The new Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen is just about ready at Yonge near Wellesley

popeyes.jpg

There is really only one serious burrito player...CHIPOTLE...Yonge and Dundas, excellent food quality, efficiency and consistency. When they get rolling across the GTA look out.

Seriously? The place singled out for mockery by South Park because it created blood in your underwear? The place owned by McDonalds?

My vote for burrito in this city is Mission.

Edit: I love that the Popeye's is below a yoga/fitness studio (and down the street from my gym: post-workout meal stop of choice from here on out).

Seriously? The place singled out for mockery by South Park because it created blood in your underwear? The place owned by McDonalds?

It only makes Cartman sh*t blood and he didn't seem to have a problem with it. I love South Park :)
There's a great Burrito place in Kensington Market, I forget the name of it but Chipitole's is easier for me to get to plus I'm hooked. Is it really owned by McDonalds? I didn't know that.

Though, how would something more less megachainy and more indigenous like Burrito Boyz/Banditos compare to Chipotle?

It only makes Cartman sh*t blood and he didn't seem to have a problem with it. I love South Park :)
There's a great Burrito place in Kensington Market, I forget the name of it but Chipitole's is easier for me to get to plus I'm hooked. Is it really owned by McDonalds? I didn't know that.

Upon further research, I must stand corrected. McDonald's sold their stake in it in 2006. My bad.

The one person I've talked to about that place is a guy who I lift with who is from Mexico (and I thus presume knows about burritos and such): he didn't give it a favorable review and suggested that I try elsewhere. Hence my opinion.

I should give it a shot before passing judgement, but Mission Burrito is like 5 minutes walk away and I can't pass that joint up.

Are you insane??? (jk)
But seriously, Chipotle? The Burrito itself was ok, but about $3 too much and gaucamole was like an extra $2.25 or something ridiculous like that!

Quasada Mexican grill makes a superior burrito IMO, I used to go to the one at Church/King all the time, they've started to spring up all over the city and there's a new one opening on Bloor across from the ROM (just below Burrito fresh, another place better than Chipotle).

The Burrito place in kensington mentioned is the Big Fat Burrito, it's quite good and and will cost you about $3-4 less for a good sized burrito+drink than going to Chipotle (come to think of it, every burrito place I know will be that much cheaper) and they have a serious selection of ingredients and sauces. I also don't mind the broz/banditos stores, they're greasier than the others and take forever to make, but they're damn good... and again not a total ripoff like Chipotle. That place will do well at Y&D but with their insane prices and mediocre product I don't think the Toronto crowd will be too crazy about it elsewhere. They need to stick to high traffic areas to make it work.

It may seem like my sticking point against Chipotle is price - I'm not poor or cheap, but I'd rather not drop $13 for a meal at a fast food chain.

I don't see how that's revolutionary. There's lots of mobile food operations in the city that run out of modified vehicles (eg; the trucks at NPS, in front of MTCC, along St. George). For the most part they are just glorified hot dog stands with slightly wider menus, tho a couple of the ones on St. George do have acceptable Chinese food for an affordable price.

The Burrito place in kensington mentioned is the Big Fat Burrito, it's quite good and and will cost you about $3-4 less for a good sized burrito+drink than going to Chipotle (come to think of it, every burrito place I know will be that much cheaper) and they have a serious selection of ingredients and sauces.

Speaking of Big Fat Burrito, they are opening a second store inside Lee's Palace on Bloor. This was the reason Lee's Palace demolished the mural on the front of the building.

and the coating of pigeon poop was the other reason the mural came down. Don't we have the technology yet to make pigeons poop oil or natural gas?

Back