News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Elephant and Castle at Yonge & Gerrard is closed. Been there an awful long time. Maybe 20 years?

Ah, bunk. I tend to avoid Yonge Street completely, but when I'm in the area, I gravitate towards this place. Gravitated towards this place. The end.

Sad to see.

Sad, it was there a long time. Seem busy enough the last few times i was in there. I was there last month or so. Either its being redeveloped or shut down like the Hard Rock, because the rents were insane.

The future of this stretch of Yonge st is going to be wall to wall skyscrapers, i can't see low rise buildings like the Elephant and Castle lasting much longer.

dscn81641.jpg

I never really paid attention to that building. Surely it is heritage?

Elephant & Castle fully renovated that space too. Maybe only five years back. There was a short time between it being a bank and the Elephant & Castle that it was a strange foodcourt with two or three vendors too.

Quite a while back, my partner and I dined at Yueh Tung, the old school Hakka Chinese restaurant at Elizabeth and Dundas, and there was a cockroach in her hot and sour soup. They didn't make us pay for the soup, but made us pay for the rest of our meal, which was outrageous.

Fast forward a while to last Thursday, and I happened to be browsing the city's Dinesafe website when I noticed that there is a complain button you can click on for any restaurant in the city. I quickly sent a message through that feature explaining our experience at Yueh Tung and that they should send an inspector. Lo and behold, Yueh Yung got nailed with a yellow conditional pass today - coincidence? Haha!!

Sad to see.

I never really paid attention to that building. Surely it is heritage?
Though being on the Register is not a guarantee a building will not go it helps - though rather telling that the Register even has a "Demolition Date" line! From: https://www.toronto.ca/city-government/planning-development/heritage-preservation/heritage-register/

Address: 378 YONGE ST

Ward: 27
List Date: Jun 20, 1973
Intention Date:
By-Law: 85-76
Part IV Date: Mar 17, 1976
Part V Date:
Heritage District: N/A
District Status: N/A
Heritage Easement Ag:
Registration Date:
Building Type: Financial
Architect/Builder:
Construction Yr.:
Details: Dominion Bank, Yonge and Gerrard Branch, 1930, John M. Lyle (now a Toronto Dominion Bank) -adopted by City Council on June 20, 1973

DESIGNATION BY-LAW PASSED BY CITY COUNCIL on March 17, 1976 (designation plaque - 1981)

Demolition Date:

Primary Address: 378 YONGE ST

Quite a while back, my partner and I dined at Yueh Tung, the old school Hakka Chinese restaurant at Elizabeth and Dundas, and there was a cockroach in her hot and sour soup. They didn't make us pay for the soup, but made us pay for the rest of our meal, which was outrageous.

Fast forward a while to last Thursday, and I happened to be browsing the city's Dinesafe website when I noticed that there is a complain button you can click on for any restaurant in the city. I quickly sent a message through that feature explaining our experience at Yueh Tung and that they should send an inspector. Lo and behold, Yueh Yung got nailed with a yellow conditional pass today - coincidence? Haha!!
Awful! Last year, at Mövenpick, I ordered a pad thai at one of the stations. It was done right in front of me, but when I started to eat it there was something really hard and crunchy in my mouth. It was glass. I got a refund and complained to the city; they sent an inspector and actually followed up with me afterwards. Finding an insect in your food is disgusting, but glass was scarier, I was afraid of having swallowed some of it and shreddding my insides!

Jen Agg has taken over the old Swan on Queen St. W.; it seems to be an interesting juxtaposition of French bistro and American diner classics. I'll give it a try next week.

A new Italian coffee shop is about to open in the G for Gelato space at 75 Jarvis (@ Adelaide).

Does anyone know who's moving into the old Milestone's space in Woodbridge (next to Chapter's in the SmartCentre's site)? I believe there are working on retrofitting the space for a new restaurant.

Does anyone know who's moving into the old Milestone's space in Woodbridge (next to Chapter's in the SmartCentre's site)? I believe there are working on retrofitting the space for a new restaurant.

I couldn't find anything.

I noticed that Slum Dog restaurant that is across the street (in the old Kelsey's building) and was always empty has also shut down. No construction there though.

I couldn't find anything.

I noticed that Slum Dog restaurant that is across the street (in the old Kelsey's building) and was always empty has also shut down. No construction there though.

Thanks for your reply. Will try to get out there this weekend to see what's happening.

Back