News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I love how a trend is considered dead 3 years in. The idea of exploring new tools, techniques and methods and using ingredients in new and interesting ways ought not be a tired concept. Has it all been done already?
Let's hope these guys can come up with something new. I wish them luck!
Martini Boys Article
Live and Breathe (L.A.B), Toronto
Nicole Bauman | Last Updated: March 17,2010 9:52:25 pm Back to Toronto Restaurants |

Chef Howard Dubrovsky and Chef Chris Scott's upcoming addition to College Street is an ambitious effort, and while its location alone will be enough to keep it slammed with a semi-sophisticated bohemian crowd sipping Baltic whites with their bloomy cheeses, L.A.B. curiously adheres to a molecular gastronomy ethos that diners have long grown tired of.

Dubrovsky has teamed up with Scott (former right-hand man to David Adjey), for Live and Breathe, or rather L.A.B. The dishes that will be on L.A.B’s menu don’t really fall under any specific genre of food, but Dubrovsky describes the general category as "accessible molecular gastronomy," which might leave you curling a brow. But while ‘molecular gastronomy’ registers as circa 2007, the boys say they have their own way of working with cultural culinary techniques and global ingredients you’ve had before - just cooked and combined in a way you’ve likely never had before.

Aside from kicking some life into the molecular biz, the team of Dubrovsky and Scott will need to come up with some standout design to stand out on the far end of College. This strip already has everything from fancy to dive bar. That said, the design route they’re exploring will be combining apothecarylab with NYC old school. Dubrovsky’s working closely with The Design Agency (the team that just finished up re-designing Brassaii on King West) to come out with an atmosphere that reflects his philosophy towards dining.

Let's just hope there's some strength left in this trend.

Live and Breathe is slated to open the first week of April

Parts and Labour getting closer to opening--nice glass front, will some Parkdale fool throw a rock through it?

this PM:
dsc01553y.jpg

On Roncevalles, Silverspoon's old location has turned into Lardon:

dsc01570x.jpg

Last edited:
The Marché website has the two Brookfield Place locations, opening March 2010.

I peeked inside an open door yesterday and it looked like they still need another two to three weeks to get this one open.

I really gotta try Caplansky's.
I think it's kind of silly to change your name to sound more Jewish though :p

^Pancer's is much better. Or for cheaper, and better than anything in the GTA, go to Waxy's in downtown Hamilton--the best smoked meat 'wich this side of Schwartz's, and it's only $4.50. Parking is free btw.

Signage has gone up in the windows of the former MBCo at Five Thieves - it's going to be called "Bar Centrale by Terroni".

There's a "Firkin on King" opening in the former offices of ACLC at 469 King Street West. That's the first floor of this amazing building, next to Rodney's Oyster House (where I spotted Morgan Freeman yesterday!). Two buildings east is Fynn's of Temple Bar, which is far superior to any Firkin bar I've ever been to.

I really hope they do something tasteful with the beautiful interior space they've got, but I'm sure they'll fill it with tacky Irish kitsch like most of their locations.

Pretty disappointed about this. We lost a cool advertising agency and gained the "Denny's" of Irish Pubs. Not to mention yet another bar on this strip of King Street.

It is not that building but actually one east..just to the west of Brassai. And yes unfortunate it is a Firkin..not really a good fit for this stretch..would be nice to have something in between Fynn's and the Brant Houses and Spice Route..something casual but not a pub if such a thing exists. Loungesque and with a strong design sense but also comfortable, not overpriced and not to much of a club atmosphere which is what mars Spice Route and Brant House.

Yeah, sorry, I always mix those two buildings up despite walking by them and admiring them every single day.

Back