News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Steakhouse chain Earl's has 3 new locations in the pipeline for Toronto:

Previously announced outpost at Yorkdale Mall in spring 2023
A takeover of the current location of Lee's on King in Fall 2023
Manulife Centre in 2024

Growing up in the 1980s/90s the only stand alone A&W in Ontario i remember was on Hespeler rd in Cambridge, where the Starbucks is. it was one of the last A&W's left over from the olden days.

My dad grew up in the 50s and remembers when A&W had stand alone locations across Ontario, ( drive ins) the girls would bring the food out to your car window on roller skates. My guess Mcdonalds probably killed them off in the 1960s/70s It's nice to see the chain make a come back. I prefer A&W over most of the other burger chains.
I only saw this now, but my parents have a similar story about A&W, though it was the early 60's, right down to the girls on roller skates bringing your food out. You would roll down your window and they would attach a tray to the side of your car to hold the food.

200805160442-02-vintage-carhop-restricted-exlarge-169.jpg

If I recall correctly, they said Dairy Queen was also famous for this; remember back then Dairy Queen were as known for ice cream and milkshakes as they were for hamburgers and hot dogs.

You can actually see a comedic representation of this in the intro to The Flinstones cartoon; it's for "brontosauraus ribs" but the exact same idea.

If you really want to see a representation of fast food joints in that period, the best film is American Graffiti by George Lucas (yes, the same as of Star Wars).

Last edited:
I only saw this now, but my parents have a similar story about A&W, though it was the early 60's, right down to the girls on roller skates bringing your food out. You would roll down your window and they would attach a tray to the side of your car to hold the food.

If I recall correctly, they said Dairy Queen was also famous for this; remember back then Dairy Queen were as known for ice cream and milkshakes as they were for hamburgers and hot dogs.

You can actually see a comedic representation of this in the intro to The Flinstones cartoon; it's for "brontosauraus ribs" but the exact same idea.

If you really want to see a representation of fast food joints in that period, the best film is American Graffiti by George Lucas (yes, the same as of Star Wars).
Indeed, that's what we had in Granby, Québec, where I lived as a child in the 1970s. The restaurant was designed specifically for car service.

Susur Lee's restaurant is expected to open in a new spot "just around the corner" in 2023, after their current King & Portland location is closing on the final day of 2022 to become an Earls:

Nuit Regular's Sabai Sabai will close permanently in about a month. Its building was expropriated for the Bloor-Yonge station project.

Miss Likklemore's will be opening at 433 King St W (@ Spadina) later this summer in August. They previously operated out of 1184 Queen St W as a pop up a couple years ago:

Onnki Donburi (40 Hayden Street, east of Yonge) and Sabai Sabai (81 Bloor St E) are both closing as the properties they're located in are being expropriated by the city for an upcoming TTC expansion project at Yonge & Bloor. The final day for both restaurants is set at July 23rd, 2022.

Although Onnki Donburi are trying their best to relocate to another spot within the area.

Back